Long hose without can light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Compressor

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hello friends:

I dive with 8 foot hose on BP/W. Most of the time I have a corded can light from light monkey. In those cases, I loop the cord under the battery as we all do. On occasion, I do not take the light. One instance was on my recent trip to Bonaire. I tucked the cord between my belly and my belt. But I kept finding the get untidy and ride up my head.

I'm thinking of putting a piece of PVC tubing (I'll cut a hole for the belt to go onto) on my belt. What do you do?

Last edited:
I'll either tuck it into my belt but often times I've found it comes undone. My vote would be either the DSS simulator or a piece of PVC, whatever you can get or make cheaper.

Hello friends:

I dive with 8 foot hose on BP/W. Most of the time I have a corded can light from light monkey. In those cases, I loop the cord under the battery as we all do. On occasion, I do not take the light. One instance was on my recent trip to Bonaire. I tucked the cord between my belly and my belt. But I kept finding the get untidy and ride up my head.

I'm thinking of putting a piece of PVC tubing (I'll cut a hole for the belt to go onto) on my belt. What do you do?

First things first. I find that it rides up over my head only when it's routed too far to the outside. Can you show/explain to us how you have your routing?

Secondly, when I'm teaching I don't have a can-light attached so I have actually had to find a solution to this. I have two solutions that I find work fairly well depending upon what kind of configuration I'm using.

1) tuck it under a weight block on the right hip. Sometimes I need to wear a weight belt with a 3kg weight on both sides and this size of weight will keep the hose under control. It will (at least for me) occasionally work its way free but the weight block is so big that it's easy to get the hose back under again. An important aspect of this is that the tank I use for teaching has 2 valves so it's easy for me to route the hose straight down the tank, which is a requirement for this.

2) Especially in the tropics I'm either not wearing a weight belt or have found that using a long hose on a single valve, that you need to do something more. What I've found works well is to "stuff" the hose under the weight belt. You can probably do that at any point along the weightbelt but what I find most comfortable is to stuff it on the front, not the side. In this case, it's also important to route the hose, as well as you can, straight down the tank even if it means that the inflator hose sticks out. (see photo).

View media item 40359
R..

I'll put a cutting tool on the right side, and then can use the sheath to loop the hose under it.
That is what I do as well. I have a knife I purchased for that purpose.

DGX sells just the sheath for very little $. So, if you are not keen on a knife (travel), you could leave it empty, or stick something else in it to stiffen it.

First things first. I find that it rides up over my head only when it's routed too far to the outside. Can you show/explain to us how you have your routing?
Ok: 8 foot hose comes off the center LP port of a SP MK20 down the right side then looped over up to my neck --> around my neck to my face ie: the usual way. I took the excess hose and looped under my belt. Not a big deal but I like to be nicely trimmed and nothing hanging over my head (xs hose).

tuck it under a weight block on the right hip.
Ok. I do not wear weight there. I wear about 2-4 lbs weight total. I dive LP85 worthington, steel back plate. I use 2-4 lbs when wearing a 7mm suit.

Especially in the tropics I'm either not wearing a weight belt or have found that using a long hose on a single valve, that you need to do something more. What I've found works well is to "stuff" the hose under the weight belt. You can probably do that at any point along the weightbelt but what I find most comfortable is to stuff it on the front, not the side. In this case, it's also important to route the hose, as well as you can, straight down the tank even if it means that the inflator hose sticks out. (see photo).
Beautiful picture. Thanks for sharing.

I'll put a cutting tool on the right side, and then can use the sheath to loop the hose under it.
I thought of this too. If this cutting tool goes there, then it probably should stay there permenantely so as to build muscle memory. Normally the knife or cutting tool goes in the front and left side. Doesn't it?

That is what I do as well. I have a knife I purchased for that purpose.
Ok; reevaluating how I configure my gear.

I'm glad I started this thread. Thanks for the feedback.

Do you re-tighten your belt once you get to depth? I'll usually give mine a quick tug when I get down there.

Edit: you hit on one of my points in your recent post

Anyone have a good picture of both options? ...ie: wrapped around the canister, and tucked into the belt?

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom