Long hose & Regs for DIR-F

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alright...I've done some more reading....done some more chatting with people and I think I'm going to go with the Apeks ATX 100. The only question is....why would I buy it at my LDS for 675$$ when I can get it from LP for 325?...not to mention the rest of the set-up with gauges and octo for a total savings of like 550$.

ABQdiver once bubbled...
However, my gripe is the stupid 1/2" thread they put on the primary LP outlet. Most of the long hoses are available in the "standard" 3/8". That puts the use of an adapter or a special 1/2" hose.
I suppose I will change out mine with an adapter. But then I've heard some scuttlebut that the adapters are bad. Can anyone shed some light on this issue?
...I believe the issue is that this adds another potential failure point (perhaps one of the DIR gurus can confirm this for us). I think I saw this comment in a thread some time ago. Another thing for me to get beat up over when I get up the gumption to take the DIR-F course - I have an adapter on one of my hoses...

Big-T: sorry about the mistake, I should have reviewed the whole thread before casting aspersions. I haven't quite figured out the Air II crowd - it just seems like the wrong compromise to make for streamlining but that's just me.

I agree tinman....I just don't know why...I mean in theory it's a great idea (AIR II)...but then again...so many additional problems arising...I think a lot of people who swore by them are getting a second opinion.....

I don't have any info on the adapter but I believe the Apeks DS4 (non turret) 1st stage uses 3/8" connections. You can buy the DS4 w/o a 2nd from simply scuba for $137.

I have actually looked at the first stage from them. I kind of like the no swivel idea as well. Thanks.

...I believe the issue is that this adds another potential failure point (perhaps one of the DIR gurus can confirm this for us). I think I saw this comment in a thread some time ago. Another thing for me to get beat up over when I get up the gumption to take the DIR-F course - I have an adapter on one of my hoses...

That's basically what I've heard/read as well. I know what you mean about taking doubtful equipment to a fundamentals class. I feel some of that pressure as well.
I plan on taking the class here very soon and have been making inroads in the various pieces/parts to get it all together.
Maybe we're been a bit to sensitive though. I'm not sure the DIRF instructors would give anyone a hard time for having equipment not meeting their "standards"

I like the DS4s as well.

My budy and I each have 2xDIN (100% O2 ready) for deco bottles.

Apecs (now owned by US Divers / Aqualung) is one of about 3 makers that will certify a reg to 100% O2 in writing.

Like the ATX100s, they are also enviro sealed.
Good stuff.

The larger size 1/2" fitting hose is a pretty standard item at most shops that carry Apeks and DIR equipment. The argument about that hose being hard to find might be true in Timbuktu, so you might want to have a spare hose if you are travelling to Timbuktu. Otherwise, it's hardly a reason to dislike Apeks regulators. The only special equipment you need to have for DIR F is the long hose configuration for primary and the short hose secondary with a necklace. They (instructors) will like you even more if you have Jet fins with spring straps!

kalvyn once bubbled...

I actually walked into 5th Dimension planning to buy the ATX200, but the ScubaPro has a lifetime warranty. That made me chose the ScubaPro over the Apeks. They are both top-notch regulators from what I've read on this board, I just decided the warranty differences were enough to change my decision to the MK25.

I'm not sure what the sales rep told you but Apeks has a lifetime warranty also. Or at least the ones I sell do. Nothing wrong with the ScubaPro either. Great reg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom