Long hose for a single tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It also looks like you lost your snorkel somewhere, since you are in the open water, apparently. You should always have a snorkel with you when diving in the open water, because if you get separated from the boat, or you need to make a rough-beach entry, and your tank is empty, a snorkel will be your only salvation. Caves are different, but you don't look like you are properly geared up for a cave either (no cave lights).

Funny I do not know a single person that dives a long hose that uses a snorkel. At least not with a tank or two on their back. Snorkels are NOT DIR, but gas management IS! Not that this was a DIR discussion.

The snorkel gets in the way of deploying the long hose for air share instances. If stowed in a pocket it would be considered acceptable to bring along, otherwise keep the snorkel handy for snorkeling, when not diving. Plus a snorkel hanging off the side of a mask is an entanglement hazard and gives one more thing that could pull your mask off.

Funny I do not know a single person that dives a long hose that uses a snorkel. At least not with a tank or two on their back. Snorkels are NOT DIR, but gas management IS! Not that this was a DIR discussion.

The snorkel gets in the way of deploying the long hose for air share instances. If stowed in a pocket it would be considered acceptable to bring along, otherwise keep the snorkel handy for snorkeling, when not diving. Plus a snorkel hanging off the side of a mask is an entanglement hazard and gives one more thing that could pull your mask off.

Well all the gas management in the world is not going to help you after you have exhausted all of your gas in your tank(s), since no amount of gas lasts forever, when you are stuck on the surface, and you need to get back to the beach, or you are waiting to be picked up by another boat if you were separated or left behind.

Rule of thirds is great, but 1/3 of your tank(s) will not last you forever.

Try to think outside of the box, including outside of GUE-DIR programming. This however may require some professional de-programming.

AG-DIR might be a step in the right direction for you. It is much improved over GUE-DIR.

And then afterwards, you might become ultimately DIR-free! And that would allow you to think for yourself again! Good stuff!

Last edited:
Oh~~~ Gee.. OP asked the simple question about a hose length. I am wondering Why GUE and DIR are being mentioned on this thread?

Like other said, the hose is cheap. Play with each length. We aren't talking about a tech diving here, but a rec. diving. Who cares about 1/3 rule and snorkel? If you like, you can follow/bring whatever you like.

OP, I am using 5ft hose with a single set and 7ft with a double set. Like I said, without a canister light and large waist pocket, 7ft is cumbersome, so I added 5ft later. I don't need to bring a canister light and unnecessary large pocket for the single tank diving (mostly shallow water and warm water diving). Make is simple.

Most divers also attach a small bolt snap to the end of the hose where it connects to the 2nd stage reg. Then you can attach the bolt snap to your necklace-bungee.
:confused:

The boltsnap on my primary is so I can clip it off to a d-ring on my chest, not to the bungee necklace that is holding my backup.

It also looks like you lost your snorkel somewhere, since you are in the open water, apparently. You should always have a snorkel with you when diving in the open water, because if you get separated from the boat, or you need to make a rough-beach entry, and your tank is empty, a snorkel will be your only salvation.
I have a folding snorkel but I've stopped taking it with me, its just easier to inflate the wing (orally if necessary) and swim on my back.

The only time I use a snorkel is when I go snorkeling (with non-divers).

I'd also recommend a 5' for diving singles with no canister light. Once I had something on my waist (mask pocket) I went to the 7'. However, I knew I would eventually get a canister light and move to doubles so I wanted to get used to the longer hose. For an open water recreational diver with a single tank, a 5' works great for the vast majority of body types.

Oh~~~ Gee.. OP asked the simple question about a hose length. I am wondering Why GUE and DIR are being mentioned on this thread?

Like other said, the hose is cheap. Play with each length. We aren't talking about a tech diving here, but a rec. diving. Who cares about 1/3 rule and snorkel? If you like, you can follow/bring whatever you like.

OP, I am using 5ft hose with a single set and 7ft with a double set. Like I said, without a canister light and large waist pocket, 7ft is cumbersome, so I added 5ft later. I don't need to bring a canister light and unnecessary large pocket for the single tank diving (mostly shallow water and warm water diving). Make is simple.

He seems to have been contacted by the GUE-DIR persuation, and so this is a great opportunity to (a) introduce him to the various versions of DIR including AG-DIR, and (2) warm him of the many flaws of GUE-DIR. There is no time like the present. Because a stitch in time saves nine. And fore-warned is fore-armed.

He seems to have been contacted by the GUE-DIR persuation, and so this is a great opportunity to (a) introduce him to the various versions of DIR including AG-DIR, and (2) warm him of the many flaws of GUE-DIR. There is no time like the present. Because a stitch in time saves nine. And fore-warned is fore-armed.

Shouldn't you at least have a clue about what you are giving advice on?
Doesn't it bother you to be called on so many instances where you are so clearly clueless?

Anyway, thanks for the new sig....

Your spelling is as good as your insight into DIR.

On topic, I use a 7' for singles and tuck the extra under my knife sheath on my waist strap when I'm not diving my HID. It tends to get loose from time to time, but I am not often without the HID.

I'll need to find something else when I get my drysuit. No more use of the waist pocket.

The can light will not happen this year. :(

Back
Top Bottom