Long flight strategies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know others have said this, but If you can figure out how to fly business it will alleviate a lot of the discomfort associated with the long flight. These are a couple of things that I do to help me with long flights:

• I pack a pair of loose track suit pants and a sweat shirt in my hand luggage to change into for the flight.
  • I wear my noise cancelling headset even when I'm not listening to music or watching TV. This, I'm sure is a placebo but I feel better when I do.
  • I do not drink alcohol on the plane. Dehydrates me and makes me feel yucky. well... maybe one drink.
  • I don't necessarily eat everything they give me. Airlines seem to feed you to help alleviate the boredom. Much of that food is heavily salted to compensate for our lost of taste at altitude. That in turn causes you to retain water. (I know this is counter to the previous point, but they both make me feel yucky)
  • I try to figure out a way so that I can sleep when it is night time at my destination. For example, United has a flight from Newark to Hong Kong that is about 14.5 hours long. It leaves at around 10pm Eastern time which is 10am Hong Kong time. I spend that first leg watching films to keep me awake. I'll sleep the last 7 hours or so. On the return, the flight leaves at 10:25am (which is 10:25pm east coast time). I stay up as much as I can the night before. Watch movies, work on the laptop, call home, order breakfast etc. When I get on the plane I put on a sleep mask and tell the attendant to only wake me if there's a fire (not really, I don't think they would like that joke).
  • On my layovers, I either pay for the use of a lounge or if I'm flying business I use the airline lounge. For me it's all about the showers. I try to get one in before getting on the next flight.
BTW, that United flight is an extremely convenient way to get from the east coast of the US to Asia. Plus I stop for a couple of days in hong kong before moving on. Hope this helps.

Bose Quietcomfort 35

They are a little pricey, but they do a great job of noise cancellation, are comfortable and I never travel without them. Download movies onto your/her iPad. You can also plug in to the airlines sound system for their onboard movies.

Leave them on even if you aren’t watching a movie. Crying babies are reduced to gentle mewing in the background.

Disclaimer: I do not own stock in anything Bose, I just like their product.

I just bought the Sony WH-1000XM3s. Played with it for 3 hrs after I got it. Hope it will drown out all the noise and reduce my stress level. Don’t know why I waited so long. It’s wonderful! Yeah it’s not chump change.

I waited for Black Friday/Cyber Monday but they did not go on sale. :( But I went for it anyway. Can’t put a price on my sanity.

I just bought the Sony WH-1000XM3s. Played with it for 3 hrs after I got it. Hope it will drown out all the noise and reduce my stress level. Don’t know why I waited so long. It’s wonderful! Yeah it’s not chump change.

I waited for Black Friday/Cyber Monday but they did not go on sale. :( But I went for it anyway. Can’t put a price on my sanity.

I got mine in the mail after stalking a few websites for 3 weeks every day a few times a day checking to see when they re-stock their inventory so I could order. I’ve had it for a month now and love it so much I even wear it on a regular basis. The customization and features are incredible and it is super comfortable. That sound driver is also amazing considering the entire package. I’m so glad you like it!

If you can't swing business or first class...shop for tickets early and reserve exit row seats. I'm 6'3"...that's what I've always done to guarantee a reasonable amount of legroom and comfort.

On the advice to pop sleeping pills or drink excessively...for a 10+ hr/long haul flight...that's how people get blood clots. It's a good idea to get up and stretch your legs periodically.

As far as passing the time for a long haul flight...don't get enough sleep the day before the flight so you can doze off for a nap occasionally. Bring an iPad preloaded with movies. Music. Etc.

I really envy those who can sleep on (and through) their flights, but I just cannot. I don't know why, it just doesn't work for me.

But @seaseadee has some amazing advise!

Singapore Airlines auctions remaining economy plus seats on the long haul about a week before the flight. I put in minimum bids for SFO- Hong Kong and Inchon-LAX and got them both. $200 extra each way was worth it.

Also, I learned the hard way that I should have gotten an aisle seat. Both ways I sat next to a barnacle; once attached, they never moved. Getting up and moving around helps

Generally jet lag isn't as bad going west. Outbound I slept on the overnight flight. The return was worse; the long leg was during the day and I just couldn't sleep.

If Singapore is convenient for you, stop and have a couple of days rest up, give your wife a break from flying. Even 24 hrs in Changi is doable with hotel rooms rooftop pools and cinemas. I noticed on the boards last night a direct to PNG on Air Nuigini. Not sure if you are aware of this option.

I agree with premium economy, paying more for a better airline, I downloaded scuba exceptional to read, watched a movie, took a couple of sleeping tablets.

Back
Top Bottom