Long flight strategies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kwpw

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello,
My wife and I were in PG 2 yrs ago and I am itching to get back. She is hesitant due to the long flights
how do you deal with the flights? any way to make them easier for her??
Thanks
Paul

Hello,
My wife and I were in PG 2 yrs ago and I am itching to get back. She is hesitant due to the long flights
how do you deal with the flights? any way to make them easier for her??
Thanks
Paul

Be selective about your airlines. Tracking prices and being familiar with what it normally costs or should cost will allow you to take advantage of a nice fare on a more comfortable airline. The food, service, and in-flight comfort/amenities will directly affect her experience. China Eastern/Southern...No thanks. United is OK, but Cathay, Singapore, EVA, etc., are better. I find flight times also make a difference. When I fly west to Asia from California, I like to depart in the evening and arrive in the morning. It's easier to manage the jet lag this way.

You can pick flights that have strategic stopovers - stay a couple of days and see the sights, shop, eat, etc. If you're coming from PA, stop somewhere in California then continue on. Or, pick an airport that has better food or a nicer lounge for you to access. Some ideas might be Hong Kong, Singapore, etc. You may get access if you have frequent flyer benefits or if you apply for a Priority Pass membership. Some credit cards offer a membership for free so check with yours.

I always wear comfortable clothing and compression socks. I also like to bring a footrest onto a flight with me as it helps support me better, whether I am just watching TV, reading, sleeping, etc. I bring super light inflatable pillows for my back or sides as well. I can customize how firm or soft it is. Earplugs and a nice eye mask are a must, as are noise cancelling headphones. I used to be all about the Bose, but the new Sony WH-1000XM3s are amazing. Bring some melatonin to help you nod off to sleep. I don't drink alcohol as I'm allergic to it but supposedly, it does dehydrate you a bit more which can make jet lag even more difficult to manage, though it does tend to relax you a bit more.

Sometimes, flying in economy for that amount of time is not easily done for others as it is for me. You can also look for some premium economy options which are usually available on Cathay, Singapore, EVA. This is not the same as United's Economy Plus - it is a whole different class with different food and substantially more space.

Sometimes, showing her lots of amazing dive videos that are professionally done on YouTube or Vimeo is enough to make her feel like the trek is worth it. :) It always works for me and Mr. OOO. :wink:

https://www.amazon.com/Sleepy-Ride-...&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=travel+foot+rest&psc=1

Aeros Pillow Ultralight

Fly First or Business? :wink:

Or at least, try not to go for the absolute cheapest flights, but pay attention to your itinerary. If it costs more to travel at less obnoxious times or with more reasonable/less stressful layovers it may be worth it. Also try to choose a better airline. And depending on your airline, consider whatever their variant of Premium Economy is. Obviously not as nice as the front of the bus, but the amount of extra space these can get you (for not as crazy a price) can really make a difference on a long haul flight.

I think I've only flown Philippine Air once from the states some years ago, and there was a way you could buy an upgrade to a better economy seat in advance for very little. I think we paid like 50-100 each to get in an exit row that had nothing for several rows in front of it, like our own little living room where we chatted with the flight attendants in their jump seats like 6 feet away. I have no idea if they still do that, but whatever your airline offers along these lines might be worth it.

If you have the time, also consider doing a layover one way or both to break up the travel. We tend to overnight at LAX. This might result in you being able to take the long flight at a better time - or at least take the same flight you were going to, but after a nice meal and good nights sleep where you're not rushing to finish packing before leaving at some obnoxious hour. Makes the trip much more relaxing.

See some discussion of travel pillows and other stuff here, maybe there are some helpful ideas in there.

I’m on the east coast and when I fly to Asia, I like to choose flights that leave in the late evening too. As soon as we board, pretty much everyone goes to sleep and by the time you wake up, they feed you breakfast and you’re most of the way there!

Business class is sweet...if you can afford it. Premium economy is nice too but sometimes even that can cost twice as much as economy.

Don’t choose seats in front of washrooms! You’ll have people standing next to you, lining up.

Bring slip on shoes that are loose, your feet will swell and you’ll wanna put them on for washroom breaks. Otherwise, bring fluffy socks to wear. Sweats are nice and comfy.

I agree with others’ opinion about airlines...choose Singapore, Cathay or EVA.

For long flights I try to use premium economy or business where it is possible and by booking with enough time in advance (minimum 6 months, better 9 months). I have noticed that while the economy class prices will increase only at toward the last 1-2 months or so and by an acceptable amount (if not for the last week), the prices of the PE and Business can skyrocket pretty fast, arriving to crazy a month or so before the flight.
In example the connection flight I'm having from HKG to MAN (less than 3 hours flight) upgrade from Economy to PE when I booked it (more than 6 months ago) were priced just 100$ or so more... now if you want to upgrade the same flight (that is happening at the end of December) the price is 1300$! And that's just a 3 hours flight.. imagine for a 10 hours flight or more, while the price of the economy didn't changed much.
PE makes a lot of difference, with some companies (Cathay, China Airlines...) it's comparable to the business class of other companies: you have a lot of space, individual seats, reclinable... you can actually sleep in peace in a separate cabin.

I am an athlete but after flying to Hong Kong from East coast (economy), my ankles were swollen for 3 days. I decided then that flights 8hrs or > to fly business. Economy plus seats are not necessarily better since you still cannot elevate your legs.

I am an athlete but after flying to Hong Kong from East coast (economy), my ankles were swollen for 3 days. I decided then that flights 8hrs or > to fly business. Economy plus seats are not necessarily better since you still cannot elevate your legs.

If you're tall, EP won't help.. but if you are not, it's a great upgrade if compared with the economy, this is the EP on Cathay (A350 routes) and it's very nice (for the cost):

Cathay-Pacific-premium-economy-A350-seat-reclined-legrest.jpg

Back
Top Bottom