Lombok and Bali Trip Oct - Nov 2021

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bali diving is not the best in Indonesia,
While it could easily be the best diving for many countries, even including so called "dive destinations".

Pity with everything closed in PB, especially for hotels as it takes a lot of effort to reopen and get everything in proper operational conditions. I am worried now for Puri Rai which is also my HQ in PB.

Twenty minutes at the summit, then 3 hours trekking down, we reached our camp at 2600m asl. Took a nap for couples hours, had a lunch and then we moved down to the Segara anakan crater lake at 2000m asl - very steep rocky trek, more difficult and dangerous than summit hiking, torturing our old knees for almost 4 hours. For us, going up is more manageable than going down.
Stay one more night here.

Next day, after breakfast we went up to Senaru crater rim at 2605m asl. We moved very slow due to frequent rock slide on the trekking path. Took almost 5 hours to get there.
The view from the rim was very beautiful. Here, we camped for our last night at Rinjani.

Next day, we finalized our Rinjani trekking at Senaru village. More than half of the trek through dense rainforest jungle, long trek but not steep. supposed o be easy Unfortunately, it was raining most of the time,. with our wobbly legs, took almost 7 hours. We were also accompanied with few fat leeches - at least 3 inside my pant.

So, total 4 days/3nights trip excluding overnight at Rinjani lodge hotel on arrival day, 36 km trekking distance, 4000m elevation gain, 3600m elevation loss.

The trip organizer, Green Rinjani did great job for us, from airport pick up, best view accomodation at Rinjani lodge overlooking stunning Senaru valley and certainly the Rinjani trekking adventure.
The team, consist of Syahril (guide) and three porters (murdi, sultan and Nas) provided the best service and a luxury. Good quality tent, great food, drinking water, tea/coffee, table and chair, and toilet tent are always available.

More over, something that we really respect,, they clean the camping and bring back all rubbish including (sadly) other rubbish from unresponsible trekkers.
Hope other trekking organizer follow their paths.
Kudos to the team.

Late afternoon, with a chartered boat from Nara bay, we crossed to Gili air. 10 minutes journey cost us Rp. 250K
Cool. This reminds me of trekking Kilimanjaro.

Pity with everything closed in PB, especially for hotels as it takes a lot of effort to reopen and get everything in proper operational conditions. I am worried now for Puri Rai which is also my HQ in PB.

Very tough time for them. Much harder than Bali bomb 1, and Mt. Agung eruption.
We walked from Topi Inn (still open) to the terminal - all big players were closed or at least no sign of activities.
Puri Rai, physically in good condition and clean. Some other hotels look terrible. Bunch of boats at the beach were in very bad shape. Hopefully, they can survive.

Yup, Kilimanjaro is in my wishlist too.
We did Ararat in October last year, and I got level 2 frostbite on my mid finger
Summiting Kili could get pretty cold (-20C). My CamelBak Gatorade was frozen. So I had to pull a backup water bottle, tucked inside my ski jacket.

We started at midnight (the calmest time of the day) from base camp at 4600m. Got to the summit by 6am at 5895m ASL to see sunrise.

You need to do it soon, before the glazier melts away.

925CE72A-607F-45F8-B0FE-6708F14172BD.jpeg

My next mountain trekking would be Puncak Jaya (Carstensz Pyramid), Puncak Jaya - Wikipedia

Yup, Kilimanjaro is in my wishlist too.
We did Ararat in October last year, and I got level 2 frostbite on my mid finger
Speak for myself:
Best trek is to K2 base camp.
Broad Peak(12), Gasherbrum II(13) and K2(2). I have my tent entrance facing the mighty K2. And plenty of seven-thousander along the route.

From the top of Gokyo Ri in Nepal you have a great view of Cho Oyu(6), Everest(1), Lhotse(4) and Makalu(5).
Easy DIY trip back in those days.

We stayed for 3 nights at Padangbai, 2 dives only per day. Very productive diving, they kept me busy underwater, typically not less than 70 minutes with only 2-3 minutes left before deco. I forgot to ask them for Nitrox. Unlike before pandemic, where they can get nitrox easily, now they need to order in advance.

Since Puri Rai is closed, we stayed at Dewi Villa, 1.5km on the hill side.
A bit too far to walk from the hotel but they provide scheduled shuttle service to the beach. Outside the schedule, they will charge you Rp. 20K.
Not big issue for us. As usual, we always rent a car for traveling in Bali. So, we called a car rental company in Denpasar to drop a car at hour hotel.
This give us flexibility to explore topsite attraction as well as dining at Candi dasa (Vincent is still open). Practically all restaurants in Padangbai are closed except local warung / street food. Even some street food are also closed or not open daily.

Two more pics from Padangbai - the batwings. I told them that I'm too old for anything less than 5mm. I'm he didn't listen to me.

Speak for myself:
Best trek is to K2 base camp.
Broad Peak(12), Gasherbrum II(13) and K2(2). I have my tent entrance facing the mighty K2. And plenty of seven-thousander along the route.

From the top of Gokyo Ri in Nepal you have a great view of Cho Oyu(6), Everest(1), Lhotse(4) and Makalu(5).
Easy DIY trip back in those days.

No way for us to get to 7k or even 6k. We're too old for that.
EBC + gyoko Ri supposed to be in
March this year but Nepal was closed. So, we reschedule for next year.

Summiting Kili could get pretty cold (-20C). My CamelBak Gatorade was frozen. So I had to pull a backup water bottle, tucked inside my ski jacket.

We started at midnight (the calmest time of the day) from base camp at 4600m. Got to the summit by 6am at 5895m ASL to see sunrise.

You need to do it soon, before the glazier melts away.

View attachment 691530

My next mountain trekking would be Puncak Jaya (Carstensz Pyramid), Puncak Jaya - Wikipedia

Hopefully we can get Kili early 2023.

Reactions: Dan
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom