Logistics of Connecting Flight on American through Dallas-Fort Worth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divingjd

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I hope someone can help out with information on connecting flights through DFW on American. I usually fly non-stop from Detroit to CZM, but my flight in July is on American with a connection at DFW. I am an experienced international traveler, but I'm not very familiar with DFW. I might have made a connection there several years ago on the way to El Paso, but I don't remember much about it. Being a control freak, I'm trying to figure out all the logistics for the connections in advance.

The flight from Detroit arrives at Terminal C. The flight to CZM departs from Terminal D. Coming home, the flight from CZM arrives at Terminal D and the flight to Detroit departs from Terminal C. I've checked the AA site, the DFW site, and some frequent flyer forums, like Flyertalk, to figure out the logistics of making the connections. Here's how I think this will work.
  1. Check bags at Detroit through to CZM.
  2. Arrive at DFW.
  3. Get myself and my carry-ons from Terminal C to Terminal D to board flight to CZM. Checked bags should be handled by the airline.
  4. Arrive at CZM.
  5. Dive my brains out.
  6. Check bags for return flight at CZM.
  7. Arrive at DFW, pick up checked bags.
  8. Clear Immigration and Customs in Terminal D.
  9. Check bags for flight to Detroit in Terminal D.
  10. Get myself and my carry-ons from Terminal D to Terminal C to board flight to Detroit.

My questions involve steps 7, 8, and 9. Am I correct that I clear Immigration and Customs in Terminal D and can then check bags in Terminal D for the American flight to Detroit out of Terminal C? Can I do all of that inside security, or do I have to go through security again after clearing Immigration and Customs? It looks like it should be pretty easy to get back and forth between Terminal C and Terminal D. It looks like it would be easier to walk than to loop all the way around on the bus or train. Is that correct?

Any tips on making a smooth connection? I should have plenty of time: an hour and 45 minutes on the way down and two hours and 30 minutes on the way back. I have Global Entry, so I'm not very concerned about lines at Immigration or Customs. As far as I can tell, the construction at DFW does not currently involve Terminal C or Terminal D. Can anyone confirm that?

By the way, I am not looking for advice on the choice of airlines or routes. The trip is booked and can't be changed. There are no non-stops from Detroit in July and I am using miles. This is what I was able to get and I am trying to make the best of it.

Thanks in advance for any information!

You will have to clear customs and go back through security in terminal D. There is a train system that connects the terminals. Very simple if you have enough time between flights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You do not want to walk between terminals unless you are an avid walker. Easy tramway with 2 stops in each terminal. Tram runs both ways on loop not one way. Follow signs.
On return exit plane usually a very long walk to IMIG, Clear IMIG wait for bags. Take bags to CUst. Glob entry. Recheck bags is right outside the doors of Cust. Then you have to reclear security and find the tram entrance to go to the terminal C.
When going back to security from bag recheck look for little signs on the serpentine rope setup. Sometimes they have dedicated lines for preferred as well as First Class. The security line is a dedicated security from the recheck and usually is not very long.

Dallas International terminal is one of the best laid out terminals for customs and immigration that I have ever been through. Sometimes it can be a little walk from where the CZM flight arrives to the immigration area but that is about it for negatives. After you clear immigrations the baggage claim and customs areas are very close. Once through customs you will go through double doors hand your check bags to the handlers there, then head up the escalator and go through security again. In the probably dozen and a half times I have gone through DFW as my initial point of entry into the states, the longest the whole process took me was about 45 minutes from getting off the plane and getting through security. There was no construction in those 2 terminals when we were there, I believe it is only in the second portion of A terminal. As Lou said, take the tram it is quick.

Thanks to all for the helpful information!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You'll actually split step 8 and do step 7 in the middle.

That is, you'll go through Immigration, then get your checked luggage from the carousel, then take your bags and yourself through Customs before re-checking your bags.

As others have pointed out, there's a step 9.5, which is going back through a TSA checkpoint. Even though you have TSA Pre-Check through your Global Entry, you WON'T be able to use it at the dedicated international checkpoints unless they decide to let you use the First Class line. Even then you'll need to remove shoes, take liquids out of bags and all the usual rigamarole. Depending on the line, it could end up being faster to leave the international arrivals area and use Pre-Check to re-enter through a "regular" checkpoint. If you have enough time and patience, the dedicated checkpoint will be easier and less walking.

Once you go through all the steps, you're back to just you and your carry-on, right outside the international arrivals area within the secure zone so all you have to contend with is getting to your departure gate. With Global Entry your layover time will be plenty to end up bored. It rarely takes me an hour from landing to get to my departure gate at DFW with Global Entry.

Thanks. I did collapse some of the steps together. Can you use Pre-Check at the dedicated international checkpoints with a First Class ticket? I had enough miles to get a seat up front.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For the dedicated international TSA re-entry points I've never seen a Pre-Check line at all.

They (sometimes) send people with Pre-Check through the First Class line, but that's just a quicker way to get to the front. From there, it's the same checkpoint and rules as everyone else is using, which is why you'll still have to remove shoes, take liquids and computers out of your carry-on, etc.

The only way I've seen to get a real Pre-Check line is to exit the international arrivals area and go to a regular checkpoint.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom