Logging open water certification dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To the best of my knowledge, any scuba dive can be logged regardless of how long or deep it is. Now whether or not you'll be taking an advanced course some day and someone will look at that dive and say "Sorry that one doesn't count" is another matter. But it's not like there's a hard and fast rule.
100% agree.

I've logged maybe a half dozen 5-10 minute dives that were cut short for one reason or another (usually zero visibility literally0.
My own rule is if I do all that work to get all that stuff on me and have to take it off and then spend an hour rinsing it, it gets LOGGED....

I've logged maybe a half dozen 5-10 minute dives that were cut short for one reason or another (usually zero visibility literally0.
My own rule is if I do all that work to get all that stuff on me and have to take it off and then spend an hour rinsing it, it gets LOGGED....
Yep. I've got several dives in my log that were shorter than 10 minutes. Cut short due to a variety of reasons, visibility, buddy thumbing the dive, missed the spot, etc. I breathed compressed air on those dives in water that isn't a pool, so I'll count it.

Here are some good hard and fast rules for what dives to log:

1. If you learned something, then log the dive.

2. If you didn’t learn something, then you’r doing it wrong…log that too as you may reflect on the dive and discover you did actually learn something and you have a placeholder in your logbook to go back and record that.

3. If in doubt of whether to log or not, review rules 1 & 2.

As at least one other poster mentioned, a dive log is like a journal of your experiences. If you show up at a dive site and never get wet because you learned that you were not prepared equipmentwise or the conditions were not what you were expecting then log that…there won’t be a depth and time but there is good information worth putting on paper (literally or proverbially). The fact that you documented sound decision making is exactly what a dive charter or instructor should be looking at along with the quantity and quality of your in-water experiences.

-Z

Some girl sat on my log book, soaking wet, completely destroying it. Was able to salvage most info, but my log sheets are primarily to remember which OP 's I've dived with and enjoyed. I won't remember in two years if Roatan is in Honduras or Belize. And every dive OP has a generic name thats impossible to remember. IE: Seapro, Caribbean Divers, Ocean Divers, etc.

So my Terric has 4 recorded dives left on it. Oh well, starting over.

In my neck of the woods that body of water is often called a Playa lake.
How deep are the playa lakes? When I lived in Lubbock, I'd drive past them all the time and wonder about that, but I figured that I'd much rather not touch the water. It'd be...icky...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom