Logging open water certification dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Coral-Reefer

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Such a silly question but as I am trying to consolidate my 400 or so dives into one dive log program (Dive Log 6.0) I have simply forgotten if the 4 open water dives during my PADI OWC certification are considered okay to log towards total dives. Does anyone remember?

Thanks!

Chris

It's ok to log them to the best of your recollection.

Approximate date, depth, location, and anything notable about the dives including OW checkouts 1-4.

Such a silly question but as I am trying to consolidate my 400 or so dives into one dive log program (Dive Log 6.0) I have simply forgotten if the 4 open water dives during my PADI OWC certification are considered okay to log towards total dives. Does anyone remember?

Thanks!

Chris
You will choose that yourself - and if questioned, you will explain your rationale.

You can only log something as a scuba dive if it was done wearing a scuba set and the duration was longer than in possible for a feedive. OK, you should probably group those 7 minute dives if you do some repetitive work.... but.... yeah, those course dives were indeed true dives. If you want, you can keep a record of course dives and other dives separarately. And pool dives, open water dives, nitrox dives, nitrox dives,... Diving Log 6 allows you to tag them (Additional -> Dive Type).

ps. once you have 400 dives done, nobody cares about +-10. If you have 10 dives done, then it is a completely different matter.

If you want to log them then log them, if not don't.

I have not logged a dive since 2010. I just don't bother. The only time it came up was doing my DM and IDC, all I did was show my dive computer.

[removed as repetition]

I tend to record everything in my logbooks (20 different dive type tags). It is a diving diary actually.
- Pool dives, course dives, lake dives, sea dives, night dives, ice dives, recovery dives, the list goes on...

You can only log something as a scuba dive if it was done wearing a scuba set and the duration was longer than in possible for a feedive.

I'd like to see your source for that "fact" and I figure that was a typo and logging dives has nothing to do with whether the dive was through a paid charter.

To the best of my knowledge, any scuba dive can be logged regardless of how long or deep it is. Now whether or not you'll be taking an advanced course some day and someone will look at that dive and say "Sorry that one doesn't count" is another matter. But it's not like there's a hard and fast rule.

I logged a pool refresher dive once, it's in my logbook but I don't count it towards the overall number of dives, in other words in Subsurface digital logbook there's no dive number next to it. So that's another way to handle a marginal dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom