Log Book

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jcsgt:
Ya know, I considered diving with you, but since you don't log your dives, I just can't bring myself to do it!!:lol: :lol:

Catherine, I'll dive with you if we're ever in the same place at the same time.........

mrule07:
I used to keep a log book but I am lazy and would rather spend my time planing the next dive.Two thirds of the planet is covered with water and I am doing my best to explore it all.If a dive operator is not satisfied with my stack of c-cards I am sure the one down the road is not so demanding.remember who the customer is .

A stack of c-cards only indicates that you've taken the course(s) indicated. It provides absolutely no evidence of your diving abilities. I've had instructor level divers on my boats (not my instructors) who couldn't even figure out the type of entry to use, couldn't maintain a certain depth if their life depended on it, and ran out of air before their students...so no, c-cards don't impress any shop operator.

I've never required a log book from anyone other than a student for training purposes...but it would tell me alot more about your diving experience than a stack of c-cards would if your qualifications to do a certain dive were in question.

As I've said many times before...we (my DM's and I) have a "Show us don't tell us" philosophy for proving ability in the water. People that really are experienced take no issue with this and actually respect the fact that we aren't going to take them on an advanced or expert level dive for their first dive ever with us. I think we do a pretty good jobof feeling divers out in advance to have a good idea of what an appropriate first dive with us will be.

Can you imagine if we just took everyone at their word about how experienced they were? Many people let their ego get the best of them and/or they really they they are much more qualified than they are. Then you (the experienced diver) could end up on a boat with someone who has 10 dives under their belt, but because they have an AOW card they feel they are an "advanced diver." See where I"m going with that?

mrjimboalaska:
Have you been talking to my wife????? cease and desist...........Now......:jpshakehe
I would concure.
K is supposed to pick up the tanks when she gets off work @1600

Well well well! This is quite the topic, huh?

My take on the posters that are hot under the collar on both sides is that they feel judged. Then, some posters are saying "big deal".

I come down on the big deal facet of this discussion. I stopped logging dives around 200 (I have to change my profile, also). I don't know if I could even find the log now, though. Sometimes I regret it. But I've never been asked to show mine as proof of experience.

On the other hand, I had a visitor from Seattle who mailed me his log pages to sign after he got home. He finds a kind of joy in that and I don't judge him for it.

I guess if I had to judge myself for not logging dives, it would be because I'm too lazy. Plain and simple. But I won't go so far as to say that is the reason others don't log their dives. I only speak for myself.

Live and let live. Happy diving!

Fish_Whisperer:
No there isn't.:evil:
I agree but, unfortunately for me, my wife doesnt agree with us...

Kirin:
i do take take exception to some 18yr old divemaster on a key largo charter who tells me that i must pay an extra $20 to dive with a dive master because he felt in his opinion, my log book didnt meet their requirements (because none of my 600+ dives have signatures). Yet, on a few occasions i found these divemasters hadnt even incurred 75 dives yet, let along 600+
Straight up? They dont count your logged dives with no sigs?
That blows. I have very few sigs in my half-arsed excuse for a logbook...but luckily no one wants to see my logbook or I might have to do "check out" dives every new boat i go on...

Christi:
we (my DM's and I) have a "Show us don't tell us" philosophy for proving ability in the water.
Do you require signatures in logbooks? Just curious

Azza:
Do you require signatures in logbooks? Just curious

No, read my post again. I have never required a logbook from anyone. I know that some people keep them and some people don't...it's a personal thing and it's draconian to be log book police. However, in certain instances, they can come in very handy (ie: you want to prove that you've done a certain dive or a certain type of dive, you've lost your c-card and cannot be verified online, etc.)

I was responding to the comment by mrule07
If a dive operator is not satisfied with my stack of c-cards I am sure the one down the road is not so demanding.remember who the customer is

I was making a point that seeing someones logbook and reading the types of dives they have done will tell me more than a stack of c-cards will, particularly for someone with less than 2 years and only 121 dives as his profile indicates. As an instructor, you know how true that is. These are actually the types of divers that dive operators try to avoid. If someone can't respect the prudent policies of a dive operator because they have a "stack of c-cards", I don't want them on my boat anyway...they'll probably be the most dangerous diver out there.

BTW...I know divers with 1000's of dives (logged or unlogged) who only hold an OW card, but could dive circles around anyone I know. Just another point to illustrate the c-card level and quantity are no indication of ability or experience level.

A truly experienced diver respects the fact that we don't throw any Joe Diver who says he has experience on a 120 foot drift dive without seeing him dive first. For an experienced diver, this is protocol.

Your log book in that case for example, would come in handy if you've done that same dive 5 or 6 times with another operator on the island and had it in your log book, if it wasn't signed, big deal. I don't think it's unreasonable to require someone who has never dove with us to do a dive or two before we agree to take them to one of the more challenging dive sites. We have close to 30 dive sites here, all of which are beautiful...so why push th elimits on the first day of vacation? All reputable shops on this island have that policy and any reasonable diver will not have a problem with it. Only those that let their ego's take over do.

I do take issue withthe 18 year old DM with 75 dives under his belt prohibiting a diver with years of experience and 600+ dives under his or her belt to do a dive because the logbook didn't have signatures...that a power trip and/or not understanding how to think outside the box. I would have been angry too...but I would have takled to someone other than the 18 year old.

Here are some florida key examples, right from these dive charter websites or waiver forms.

Florida Keys Dive Center

TO DIVE LESS THAN 60FSW: Certified divers whose last logged ocean dive is over 1 1/2 years ago or whose last logged dive is over 1 year ago and has no ocean Experience or certification dives were more than 6 months ago and who has not been diving since are required to dive with a guide for a minimum of one two tank dive trip or you may attend Scuba Review Course prior to diving.

TO DIVE MORE THAN 60FSW: All divers must be Advanced certified or higher and have a deep dive (below 80 feet) logged in a log book within the past 1 1/2 years and provide the log book as proof OR be Open Water certified and have a deep dive (below 80 feet) logged in a log book within the past 6 months and provide the log book as proof.

Amy Slate's Amoray Dive Resort

note: deep dives require advanced certification and logged experience

Scuba Refresher Courses: this course is REQUIRED at Amoray if its been over two years since your last dive.

Horizon Divers

If it has been more than one year since your last scuba dive, you will be required to dive your first dive accompanied by one of our instructors.

If it has been over 2 years since your last scuba dive, you will be required to take a Scuba Tune-Up course or refresher.

Ironically, they dont mention a log book is required on their website. But, when you call them to schedule a reservation, they indicate you must show your log book to validate you have dove within a specified time and have dove to the depths you are planning to dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom