Log book signature

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

emoreira

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all, I'm a relatively new diver with only 62 logged dives.
I've been diving with Operators or LDSs, I mean, someone that provides gear, tanks and facilities just by the diving place, even a dive boat.
Now I will dive a quarry with my buddy. We both have full gear except tanks. We will rent tanks for the whole diving day in a shop near downtown. The place has no Operator nor LDS.
The question is who has to sign the logbooks ?
I will sign my buddy´s logbook and he will sign mine, but is this a valid dive if it has to count for minimum logged dives for something ?

..........The question is who has to sign the logbooks ?.............

Nobody.

Keeping a good logbook is a sign of personal discipline. It speaks well of you and is extremely useful when you change gear, especially if you accurately log what you were diving and the necessary weight. The log is for you. You are the diver, make it useful to you.

Yes, any agency will accept a well maintained log book. They see so few of them...

I sometimes sign my own if I forget to get a stamp/buddy/instructor signature at the time, or say we do a deep air dive and my buddy dies (joke). Nobody will notice/care. Logbook is mostly for your own reference as LV mentioned

If it's a dive that's part of a class you generally want to get it signed by the instructor. Otherwise, no one cares. Even if they are still telling people this in class or you have a logbook with a place for a signature.

Hi all, I'm a relatively new diver with only 62 logged dives.
I've been diving with Operators or LDSs, I mean, someone that provides gear, tanks and facilities just by the diving place, even a dive boat.
Now I will dive a quarry with my buddy. We both have full gear except tanks. We will rent tanks for the whole diving day in a shop near downtown. The place has no Operator nor LDS.
The question is who has to sign the logbooks ?
I will sign my buddy´s logbook and he will sign mine, but is this a valid dive if it has to count for minimum logged dives for something ?
They are absolutely valid dives. To my mind, they are more valid because you and your buddy are demonstrating your collective ability to strike out on your own. Only you two will be responsible, and you will not have some third party to rely on. Bravo for your continued growth as a diver.

Your buddy's signature should be sufficient for any requirement of which I am aware.

You guys are both certified divers, right? Signing off on each book is perfectly acceptable. Your first cert dives are generally signed by the instructor, but after that it is on you.

Likewise you are responsible for your own safety. What would you gain by faking a log book?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom