Lodging recommendations in Roatan, Utila & Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My favorite place to stay is Arco Iris in Half Moon Bay right next to the West End. They run about $35 a night with a refrigerator and private bath with hot water. If you want A/C its $10 extra. Most of the eating and nightlife places are in the West End so that would be a perfect spot. I will be visitng Roatan from July 18th till Aug 8th but this trip I will be staying in West Bay with friends. I've never been to Utila but it is my understanding there is much more to do in Roatan and utila doesn't have a beach. Thats about all I know. Maost people say diving is cheaper but I'm not really sure about that. I pay $15 a dive in Roatan and you can find it for $10 a dive in my opinion you can't beat it.

Suzanne

Lin:
That sounds alot like us, we are going diving eng of July beg Aug. Looking at Roatan and Utila. Any places you recommed in Roatan. It dosen't have to be cheap. We are taking our 18 yr old son so or course we want good diving, but also fun places to eat, see and maybe some nightlife. Have you been to Utila. My husband says I should now research Utila Lodge. Have you been there?

Was in Utila,Roatanand Belize for 4 weeks in April 2003. Mango Inn is the best place to stay in Utila and the diveshop (Utila Dive Center) has amazing staff and theme parties every once in a while. The cost is something like $15/dive!! Your son will like the night life in Utila! Laguna Beach Resort is a really nice resort with the BEST boats on the island. They look for whale sharks every day.
Fantasy Island is a bit of a distance from West End... don't know coco view.
Belize is great... you must do the Blue Hole. But overall, the other dives aren't any better than Utila/Roatan. But Utila is much cheaper ($15/dive vs. $40). But Utila is catered to a back-packer crowd.

drbill:
I leave for Belize and Honduras next week and will be there (probably offshore Belize but possibly Utila or Roatan) until the end of the first week in March. I'm doing the backpacker style accommodations, etc., so my plans probably wouldn't work for the two of you.

Dr. Bill

I love the backpacker travel style. I have researched several places, but it's hard to know which is really best. I am a woman traveling along and so safety is primary, and then ambience in relative terms. Don't mind rustic, but hate grim. Would like to be away from the noise, but not so far that I feel isolated or limit my choice of restaurants to less than 5. Finally, but importantly, the personalities of the proprietors. If they suck, it all sucks.

What I have so far is: Posada Arco Iris, Pura Vida, Coconut Tree, Mermaid Beach, Keifito's, Seagrape, Iguana Lodge, Half Moon Bay Cabins, Maizer Casita, Judy's Fantasea, Chillies, Caribbean Seashore B&B, Honduras Beach Hotel, Sea Breeze Inn, Casa Calico, West Bay Lodge, Las Rocas & Bananarama.

Do you know anything about any of these?

I just got back from Roatan last week and I had a great time . My wife and I stayed at LUNA BEACH resort it is a great place no crowds ,small group on dive boat , close to the best diving , close to town and clean. Coco View is on the windward (or rough) side of the island ,they came over to west end to dive last week !! Have a good time Stoggie

stoggie:
LUNA BEACH resort it is a great place no crowds

That it is.

Coco View is on the windward (or rough) side of the island ,they came over to west end to dive last week !!

:confused: You be needin' a compass, brother. These last few weeks, due to the cold that pressed as hard down as Texas, you got that a bit mixed up. It was rough on the NORTH side. It is what is locally known as a "Norther".

Here's the straight scoop on Roatan Weather, from: http://www.docksidedivecenter.com/WeeklyLog.html

Weekly Dive Log
Feb. 3 - Feb. 9, 2007

.................Sat 3 Sun 4 Mon 5 Tues 6 Wed 7 Thurs 8 Fri 9

Air Temperature......82º...82º...85º...84º...80º...84º...82º
Water Temperature 80º..80º...80º...80º...80º...80º...80º
Humidity...............76%..71%.54%..73%..77%.70%..66%
Wind....................E13 E15 E10 E12 E14 E14 E15
Seas in feet..........1-2 1-2 0-1 1-2 1-2 1-2 2-3

Sounds realy rough. :huh:

Luna Beach is a great place~ no need to sell snake oil to make it sound as good as it is. There's no one resort for anyone. I have been aboard their boat and seen their dive op. I like it, not my style, but I know from what I speak.

I was in Roatan last year and stayed at Fantasy Island. I cannot recommend it enough. I loved the place. I went there on one of their all-inclusive dive packages. I had a great room, (one of the newer ones), the diving was excellent, the beach was awesome.. I actually had no reason to leave the resort the whole week I was there. (Well, except to go out on the dive boat!) So don't hesitate to check them out.

There are also pics of the resort, and diving, posted at www.xtcscuba.com. (Look near the bottom.)

Feel free to send me a note if you have any questions. (No, I don't work for them! But I'd love to go back!)

I'm in the Houston airport returning from Belize right now. Ramon's Village on Ambergis Cay is OUTSTANDING! The diving is personalized, low key. Meals are good, Rooms are great. The Presidential Suite is out of this world! The best thing about Belize is the people. I've dove several Caribbean sites and the people in Belize are, as they say Un-Belize-able. I'll post a trip report as soon as I stop crying from being back in the States. Enjoy, you'll have a blast!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom