Lodging in Georgetown, Exuma's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ahava

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Looking to plan a liveaboard trip on caribbean Explorer 1 next May (09) and for advise on where to stay Fri night before departure. Heard baggage is often delayed so we dont want to take a chance. Price vs. proximity to the boat and transportation. Thanks for all info. in advanced

I went on the CEXI last year. My buddy & I stayed at Club Peace & Plenty. While the accommodations where generally OK (nothing to brag about), we did have a few problems while there. 1. the A/C malfunctioned & started leaking water all over the floor while we went out exploring (about 1/4" of water on the floor). It soaked all my buddy's stuff that she'd left on the floor (mine was on top of my bed) & almost ruined her lap top computer. They moved us to another room. 2. On Fri. nights they have a DJ playing VERY loud music in the courtyard that starts at about 8 or 9pm & goes until 2-3am. All the rooms have access to the courtyard. Unless you are a partier, a very hard sleeper or have some stout earplugs you won't get much sleep otherwise. 3. The food was a little pricey (seemed to me) for the quality. While not bad,... it wasn't the greatest either. They do have a water taxi to take you to Stocking Island on Sat., which is pretty cool. Club Peace & Plenty is about 3-4 blocks away from the pier. I have not stayed there, but did eat at St. Francis Resort. It is a bit more expensive, but being across the sound from downtown Georgetown, it is much quieter. They have a water taxi service to get you to & from town & may even take you to the CEXI pier if requested (at least the picked us up & dropped us off at the CEXI when we went- may be dependent on the tide depth at the pier). If they can't get you to the CEXI Pier, they should be able to get to a dock across the road from the CEXI Pier. We did eat at St. Francis after our cruise on the CEXI & the service was fantastic! The resort looked to be very clean & fairly new. It is owned & operated by a single family & a few employees & they bend over backwards to see that you are comfortable. The food was fabulous & like I said before the service was excellent. I would certainly recommend St. Francis to you as a first choice, but if budget is an issue, then with some ways to get around the noise of the DJ, Club Peace & Plenty will do for a 1 night stay.

Two Turtles is not a fancy place, but it is very close to the dock, they have a great Tiki bar, and a good Friday night rake and scrape (Bahamian music) party. When I was based in G-Town with Nekton, this is the place the crew usually stayed at.

Two Turtles is not a fancy place, but it is very close to the dock

Literally walk out of the place and there you are.

, they have a great Tiki bar, and a good Friday night rake and scrape (Bahamian music) party.

It's right near where anything else might be happening (such as it is), as well.

When I was based in G-Town with Nekton, this is the place the crew usually stayed at.

Umm, I like the "2TI", but that last thing about the Nekton Crew- is that a recommendation or a warning? :rofl3:

Umm, I like the "2TI", but that last thing about the Nekton Crew- is that a recommendation or a warning? :rofl3:

Good point, but since the Pilot has been out of Exuma for a number of years I would assume that Two Turtles has had significant time to recover:wink:

The Nekton crew once turned me on to that BBQ place way around on the far side of the inlet.

Watched Jerra eat her weight in pork ribs.

The Nekton crew once turned me on to that BBQ place way around on the far side of the inlet.

Watched Jerra eat her weight in pork ribs.

Ah, the old jerk chicken/pork stand out front of Eddie's Edgewater. That brings back fond memories (and heartburn!). Yup, Jerra could put away the BBQ. It must have been a Texas thing.

Was I on that cruise? I was w/ Nekton 1995-2005, but could have been on vacation.

Yup, Jerra could put away the BBQ. It must have been a Texas thing.

Was I on that cruise? I was w/ Nekton 1995-2005, but could have been on vacation.

Jerra? If I was half my age and twice as crazy, I woulda' chased after that one. First time I met her she was cooking while bouncing off the bulkheads (aerobics?) with earphones listening to that crazy music those damned kids listen to. I still hear from her, now and again... and others from the Nekton crew.

Were you there? It's all a blur to me. I don't know if it's old age or the NLS (Nitrogen Lesion Syndrome) but I now am firmly in the CRS Club. I've been on a few Nekton cruises and always had a great experience.

Is your current profile picture from that "second floor fancy restaurant" in Georgetown? The food was awful, the service was glacially slow, and the beer was cold. All in all, an excellent place. :D

Going to the outer Bahamian islands to meet the Nekton was my first experience outside of Grand Bahama or Nassau. I was really loaded for bear in terms of the local populace attitudes after the big island experiences. What a pleasant and unexpected surprise! Once you get away from the big city, the out islands of the Bahamas are a delight.

I'm planning on going there around next May also around the first week. Sorry I don't have a hotel yet. But I've got a buddy looking for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom