Locking up two steel tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I generally only use this for shore diving, but I have about a 10' length of chain and a collection of combination locks. I lock the chain around a tree, through a wheel, or whatever, and then each tank gets a short loop of chain around the valve with its own combination lock (they're all different colors). When I finish a dive and have to change tanks, I unlock the next one, swap tanks, and lock the empty back into the chain.

It'd be fairly simple to cut the chain with bolt cutters or whatever, but pretty much every affordable locking system is fairly simple to break. They just operate on the fact that those who might steal are likely going to go for a more convenient target.

The nice thing about using combination locks is that I can't lose the keys. (It too a little time to memorize all the combinations, but the benefit of not having keys to lose was worth it.) Not sure how long the locks will last, but they seem to be holding up well so far.

ScottB:
*evil laugh*...

Too bad this is a sue happy society.. or else I would advocate attaching a device to provide a large electric shock to anyone who grabs hold of the tank valves..

Well, you could always put a big biohazard sticker on them :D
Ber :lilbunny:

If you lose the key or forget the combination a pair of bolt cutters will
cut throught the cable or chain. FYI

If someone wants your tanks they will get them.

Why not just take them home?????:wink:

One of my friends has a boat in a very secure area. Someone stole his gear,
tanks,regs,etc.

Better to be safe then sorry.

I'll be 2,200 miles away from them 3 months at a time. Too cumbersome to bring along each trip. I was trying to avoid renting Al80 and getting fills twice a day. Well you saw it first on Subaboard I Christopher Howard thought of it.

If a thief knows you aren't going to be around then any locking system that uses the valve to prevent the chain/handcuff/ring from slipping off the tank neck is trivial to defeat - simply drain the tank and spin the valve off by hand. No tools needed, takes several minutes to drain the tank however.

And it makes noise, unless it's done real slow, which leaves cracking the valves and coming back the next night the only real option.

A ring around the neck with a heavy cable run through them is as good approach as any and it will prevent the casual or opportunistic thief, which covers most of it.

DA Aquamaster:
And it makes noise, unless it's done real slow, which leaves cracking the valves and coming back the next night the only real option.

A ring around the neck with a heavy cable run through them is as good approach as any and it will prevent the casual or opportunistic thief, which covers most of it.

I concur, thus the part where I said "f a thief knows you aren't going to be around...".

You're right though - short of putting the tanks into a locking, bolted down cabinet, putting a ring around the neck or using a padlock and chain around the neck is the best bet.

I got the impression the OP owns a boat somewhere pleasant and wants to leave his tanks on board while he's back in the states earning a living.

Atticus:
I concur, thus the part where I said "f a thief knows you aren't going to be around...".

I got the impression the OP owns a boat somewhere pleasant and wants to leave his tanks on board while he's back in the states earning a living.

Ding, ding, ding, BINGO!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom