Locking up two steel tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dawktah

Registered
Reaction score
Hello!

Anyone have any ideas how to lock two steel tanks up to deter/prevent their theft? :confused: I do not have enough space to lock them inside of a locker on the boat. I will therefore need to lock them to a portion of the boat with a cable lock. My idea is to have a 2" or smaller stainless steel ring placed around the neck of the tank before the valve is installed and pass a cable through the ring, to lock. Any ideas on whether the ring will, scratch, corrode or cause problems if there is no load placed on the rings? I will research on ways to coat the ring with a rubber like substance to soften them. Any help will be appreciated.

--Chris

"to coat the ring with a rubber like substance" they have stuff at the hardware store for dipping tool handles into

Dawktah:
...Any ideas on whether the ring will, scratch, corrode or cause problems if there is no load placed on the rings?....

no, similar s/s rings are used on stage bottles quite often without any ill effects

Tamas:
no, similar s/s rings are used on stage bottles quite often without any ill effects
I've been carrying a set of handcuffs for years. Works well to lock a couple of tanks together and bind them to something that doesn't move too easily. With your cable lock, you can also lock up your BC and just about anything else you want to secure.

SteFord:
I've been carrying a set of handcuffs for years. Works well to lock a couple of tanks together and bind them to something that doesn't move too easily. With your cable lock, you can also lock up your BC and just about anything else you want to secure.

that's a great idea

mfalco:
that's a great idea
... with the posible exception of the fact that handcuffs are absurdly easy to pick when you're not wearing them... and the keys are quite easy to obtain. Good for a quick assist, however, and WAY better than nothing.

CompuDude:
... with the posible exception of the fact that handcuffs are absurdly easy to pick when you're not wearing them... and the keys are quite easy to obtain. Good for a quick assist, however, and WAY better than nothing.

they are like those $20 "clubs" you see people putting on a $40k car hoping it will stop a thief from stealing it......more of a deterrent (if that) than anything

Thanks, only prior knowledge will bring someone to my boat since they will be locked away and boat will be covered. Also, someone will have to climb up into it in storage rack as well. I just don't want the ease of pulling back cover and hauling away in the night. I'll add them to my DAN+ insurance if I can.

*evil laugh*...

Too bad this is a sue happy society.. or else I would advocate attaching a device to provide a large electric shock to anyone who grabs hold of the tank valves..

Would not be too hard to rig up.. though might get dangerous dealing with nitrox/O2..

of course.. it would be the potential theif who gets blown up at that point.. you wouldn't be around would you? :wink:

*sticks foot in mouth to shut himself up and moves on*

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom