locating a specific wreck near the Cuyo Islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

T.C.

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello,

I am trying to find information regarding a wreck in the Cuyo Islands, and would appreciate any information offered. My eventual long-term goal is to lead at least three family members on at least one dive on this wreck.

The wreck is that of the LST-460, a Landing Ship, Tank sunk by a kamikazi in 1944. She went down just offshore of a small island 6 nautical miles (11 km) northeast of Agutaya Island, and 7 nm (13 km) east of Dit Island. The Lat/ Long for this wreck is given as 11 degrees, 13 minutes, 00 seconds North, 121 degrees, 4 minutes, 00 seconds East, however, I do not know the accuracy of this fix. The nautical chart I referenced shows the wreck off the east coast of the island, in possibly 10 fathoms (60 feet, ~20 meters) of water.

New Bitmap Image (2) (757x483).jpg

My Grandfather served on this ship during World War II and was on it when it went down. He passed away in 1989, and this is one way to reconnect with him. My uncle and my sister have also said they wished to go, and diving on this wreck, and seeing his duty station has become a long-term goal for us.

If you know anything about this wreck, know any shops, charters or divers who may have information about it, have a contact who may be able to help, know about dive conditions in this area, or just have information you believe may pertain to this, please let me know. Any help is appreciated!

Thank You,
Matt

Wow, interesting. I hope you have luck finding this and reconnecting.

However, in my experience most wrecks in shallow Philippine waters have been badly damaged due to a combination of storm weather, salvage divers and dynamite fishing. So don't be surprised if you find just the bare bones of the ship.

Having said that it should be relatively easy to find - just ask the fishermen. If there's a wreck there they have most likely been fishing there for generations and that's the best way to find any wreck in the Philippines. So I guess your odds there are quite high, but you'll have to physically go there and ask, no email in Cuyo I think! We found a wreck here last year after several years of asking around and finally finding a fisherman who could anchor us on it...but that wreck is in 120m, not 20m like yours - so you should have odds for a quick find.

Good luck and please keep us updated. And if you need any diving assistance then do give me a shout as finding and diving wrecks is one of my passions.

Matt.

Wow, interesting. I hope you have luck finding this and reconnecting.

However, in my experience most wrecks in shallow Philippine waters have been badly damaged due to a combination of storm weather, salvage divers and dynamite fishing. So don't be surprised if you find just the bare bones of the ship.

Having said that it should be relatively easy to find - just ask the fishermen. If there's a wreck there they have most likely been fishing there for generations and that's the best way to find any wreck in the Philippines. So I guess your odds there are quite high, but you'll have to physically go there and ask, no email in Cuyo I think! We found a wreck here last year after several years of asking around and finally finding a fisherman who could anchor us on it...but that wreck is in 120m, not 20m like yours - so you should have odds for a quick find.

Good luck and please keep us updated. And if you need any diving assistance then do give me a shout as finding and diving wrecks is one of my passions.

Matt.
Thanks, I hadn't considered the effects of the local fishing techniques on this wreck, or salvaging/storms. I also don't know the effects of the kamikazi hit.

If I'm unable to find enough information, my uncle and I have discussed making a preliminary trip to the area to question the local fisherman. If this wreck is indeed this shallow, they'll know.

Thanks for information there may be no email/internet there. I'll keep you in mind if I have any questions about arranging and conducting the diving. And if there's anything else you'd be willing to share about this area, I'm all ears.

Matt, I don't know anything about this area at all - but from looking at the map it is a long way from anywhere. Even by Philippines standards. I'll see if I can find out more for you.

---------- Post added February 12th, 2013 at 08:32 AM ----------

Oh and just to note as well...often the lat/long details for those war wrecks are way off :)

Thanks, I hadn't considered the effects of .... salvaging

If the scrap metal could raise P1 per kg, they'd have been down there on hookahs with home-made dynamite long ago..

If the scrap metal could raise P1 per kg, they'd have been down there on hookahs with home-made dynamite long ago..
Thanks. I guess diving gear isn't that hard to manufacture if safety isn't a high priority. After nearly 70 years do you think there'd be anything left; or would they have got even the keel beams by now?

And if the location is inaccurate, how deep would they dive to salvage a wreck? As long as the number of hoses they can get would reach?

Kwhkg, is this the only ferry that you know of? Thank you for your help, if we do go there, it's good to know we'll be there at least a week.

Matt, yeah, I was considering that- I believe I'll try to obtain the official USN record of her loss.

only one roro going there. Montenegro Shipping Lines, once per week from Iloio. I think its saturday

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom