local vis?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Les

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
can anyone tell me if this years vis is worse than previous years? I don't think it was this bad last year or at least for so long. and the plankton blooms haven't started yet when the hot weather comes. Doesn't seem to be tide related.

Les: Viz was fine today ... at 105 :p

Was also quite good 80 & 100 off the Islet towards the 'Pinnacle'.

I'm pretty sure it's worse this summer. I wasn't around for a lot of last summer so I can't comment on anything past mid-may, but early may was wwwaaaayyyyy worse. I don't recall being in viz so bad that i could swim into the side of a wreck face first and still not see it. Looks like it's gonna be a summer for deep diving.

I was over at Kelvins Grove on Sunday and the vis was just great! at about 110 or so i still had some sumlight down there and had 40ft of vis!

cheers

jeckyll:
Les: Viz was fine today ... at 105 :p

Was also quite good 80 & 100 off the Islet towards the 'Pinnacle'.

darn tootin'!!!!!
my work day sucked and I had to wait a couple of hours for a phone call to see if I was working in the evening. Had all my gear in the car ready to go but decided I need the money. gotta pay the bills.

The viz was awesome at Porteau on the weekend, 30-40 ft once you get below the surface muck to 30ft.

I agree!!!! the vis was absolutely stunning. black and white difference. 30' had 20'vis and at depth 107' I could easily at least 30' and tons of ambient lighting. not dark at all.

Where were you today Les??

I'm about to head out on the IDC 'fun dive' and will report back after ... or tomorrow morning if we do 2 dives and are out late :)

Bjorn

Ok, did 2 dives. First to the plumose gardens, max was 88. Great vis below 50'. I could see 30' or more (needed a stronger light :D ).

Second dive right at high tide on the bay side of the Islet. Good viz around 60'. I'd say at least 20'. Even around 10 feet we could still see about 5 - 10 feet which was a pleasant surprise :)

I was on the islet.vis was so good that I didn't notice my new light flickering right away. Looked at bulb and water inside!!!! what is with me and flooding? camera,drysuit,now my light. arggg. anyways the light is not me. The connector cable cracked right at the lighthead and allowed water in. I am waiting for an email from diverite and will send it in. Spoke to Tino yesterday and his is in also and getting upgraded to 24watt. good thing I have lotsa backups. weather depending I am going out sunday am with Edge Diving. glad to hear great dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom