Local SOP's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OldFNG

Registered
Reaction score
So I've been directed here, as a new diver to the area I've done all my dives except for my drysuit training dives in tropical water.

What are the local SOP's that anybody can think of that signifigantly differ from stuff done in the tropics. Mostly thinking mountain lakes such as minnie vs ocean. What is typically hauled out along with dive floats, is the practice of of surface support via dangling spare tanks and wieghts 20 feet below floats or boats done here during deep dives etc in addition to any backups planned in gas use calculations done or are there alternate surface support procedures.

I'll be doing as many local orientation dives as I can but I'm mostly looking for anything different or anything of note done ehre for safety.

Also are there any lakes in the rockies that require permits from parks canada to dive?

So I've been directed here, as a new diver to the area I've done all my dives except for my drysuit training dives in tropical water.

What are the local SOP's that anybody can think of that signifigantly differ from stuff done in the tropics. Mostly thinking mountain lakes such as minnie vs ocean. What is typically hauled out along with dive floats,

Except for the classes I don't know of anyone that hauls out a dive float. Plus the dive area at Minny is roped off so that boats don't go there.

is the practice of of surface support via dangling spare tanks and wieghts 20 feet below floats or boats done here during deep dives etc in addition to any backups planned in gas use calculations done or are there alternate surface support procedures.

Not needed for the mountain lakes as they are mostly shallow dives. On the coast the boat is usually live so all gas needed is carried by the diver. I've never been with anybody on the coast who hangs tanks although I'm sure there are one or two that do.

Also are there any lakes in the rockies that require permits from parks canada to dive?

No. Permits are required though if you are teaching (because it's a commercial activity) in any of the parks or doing ice dives in Banff.

Except for the classes I don't know of anyone that hauls out a dive float. Plus the dive area at Minny is roped off so that boats don't go there.

Not needed for the mountain lakes as they are mostly shallow dives. On the coast the boat is usually live so all gas needed is carried by the diver. I've never been with anybody on the coast who hangs tanks although I'm sure there are one or two that do.

No. Permits are required though if you are teaching (because it's a commercial activity) in any of the parks or doing ice dives in Banff.

I'm beginning to think the slung tanks was mostly the boats at the resort covering their rear due to some divers being retarded about gas planning.

I'm beginning to think the slung tanks was mostly the boats at the resort covering their rear due to some divers being retarded about gas planning.

Possibly or they knew how bad the divers are that typically go through a warm water resort.

Possibly or they knew how bad the divers are that typically go through a warm water resort.

Could very well be the case, at any rate my entire goal is to not be one of those divers and get a lot of experience in the cold water.

Another quick question about air fills, where are the fill stations in calgary, I know of two off hand, dive shop and aquasport, are there any near the north so I can grab a quick refill after work without the need to drive to the south, also where are the fill stations in jasper/banff?

Another quick question about air fills, where are the fill stations in calgary, I know of two off hand, dive shop and aquasport, are there any near the north so I can grab a quick refill after work without the need to drive to the south, also where are the fill stations in jasper/banff?

Adventures in Scuba but that is south as well on MacLeod. There is also Caribbean Dreams but I don't know where Harcus's shop is.

There are no fill stations in Banff. Sometimes people can get fills from the Jasper fire dep't but I wouldn't count on that be reliable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom