Local shore dive shook me

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a male instructor in Ventura County, let me offer some insight if I may. I am a new instructor but have so far taught my wife, 7 other ladies ranging from 12 to ~50, and 6 men ranging from 23 to ~55. I do a mix of boat and beach entry dives. Some things that can help with beach entry:

1. Sit on the beach and watch the surf. You want to time entry so that you are not entering just when a big set is going. Watch the lulls, watch the breaks, are they breaking in different locations, are the waves large or small.Do you see a lot of receding water, or is it minimal. Watching the sets now without all your gear on will help you know the timing. Do not rush to put your gear on later either. Just keep an eye on the sets.

2. Go jump in the surf zone with only the wet suit stuff on (eg suit, hood, gloves, boots). Get used to entry without gear. Feel the surge around you, get used to feeling the water push you around a little.

3. When entering the water, stay close to your buddy, position one foot in front of the other a little (off-set) and shuffle your feet a little as you are entering the surf zone. This will allow you to not have your feet sucked into the sand as the water rushes around you and creating a small pit. When the wave is at its "surgiest", don't take steps. You will lose the comfort of both feet planted when you life a foot and a wave passes under it.

4. Have no air in your BC to start. This lowers your center of gravity which will keep you a little more planted. Add air once you have your fins on and are about to flip into your back and kick out.

5. Some people advocate putting fins on before entering the surf and going in side-ways. I prefer and teach (and have had success with) advocating entering the water until the water is between waist and chest high and the using your buddy to stabilize you as you figure-four each fin on. (Put one leg across the other knee, put the fin on with a real quick adjust, then switch sides. Then help your buddy do the same if need be. Watch those sets though. Try to time fin placement with a lull in a set. Once you kick out a little, you can re-adjust your straps if you are using pull straps (vs quick straps).

6. Once out past the break, take a moment to relax.. Just C - H - I - L - L. Once you have your breath back, then you can start to kick out to the drop site.

7. When returning, try to return up the bottom of the ocean. There is more to see there and you can keep going until you hit around 3-4' of water if you want. There is no real reason to do a surface kick back if you do not need to.

8. There are NO style points for an exit. If you have to crawl out and then pull your fins off, do so. I have done this and I don't really care if others point at me. At least I made the dive and returned. I will catch my breath once I am out of the water and just go about my merry way.

These are some of the tips I try to point out to new surf entry divers. I find it amusing that PADI offers a Boat Diver cert but not a Surf Entry cert. Taking a Discover Local Diving course is a good recommendation. I think the Nov dive you mentioned you are going to go on will really help you too. Your husband will also benefit from lcoals helping him out - even if he does not want direct help, he can have a visual reference.

You sound like a solid diver that just needs more experience with surf entry and exit. You will do OK, just go at a nice pace and do not let others rush you.

Have fun and hope this long post helps..

by the way, Sport Chalet is having a big tent sale this Friday, Sat & Sun that I know they often have wet suits for sale that are new... Not all Sport Chalets are having the sale, so call your local store to find out which ones... This may be a good time to get a new wetsuit...

one last thing... There is a good club in the SF Valley you should look into .... I know many of the members.

Pacific Explorers (w3.pacificexplorers.org). There is a couple in the group that I am very good friends with. Kathy would be very helpful to you. They meet I think the 2nd Wed of every month.

I got rolled last weekend diving with a broken toe - bad idea to do a shore dive with a broken toe. I ended up turtled with a steel tank. I would take my reg out after a wave rolled over me and spit salty comments. :wink:

Later on, you'll look back at this stuff and laugh. It is part and parcel of learning to dive.

Hi flutterbyocean,

I will be at the Wrinkles dive in November it is a really good location to get comfortable with California cold water diving because there is a stair entry instead of sand and the visability is usually really good.

I don't always agree with the "rent-as-you" go approach of wet suit use. You can get a really good custom suit from a shop like Sea Ventures in Fullerton (714) 871-2218 or through Eagl Reef for a pretty affordable price. Think about it - how many thousands of people have pee'd in that wet suit you just rented - eewww! And I doubt that the shop monkeys bother to clean them.

Anyway, a good fitting suit is important and cheeper than buying all the other hardware right away.

Sharks? Oh please! We sound like freight trains to fish when we are underwater on SCUBA. A shark won't get close enough for you to see. Don't worry.

Ask around and you might find a Divemaster or other seasoned Calif. shore diver like me that would be happy to go over all that stuff that scubapatton described above. Just like surfing, shore entries are all about watching what the ocean is doing and using that to your advantage.

scubapatton:
As a male instructor in Ventura County, let me offer some insight if I may. I am a new instructor but have so far taught my wife, 7 other ladies ranging from 12 to ~50, and 6 men ranging from 23 to ~55. I do a mix of boat and beach entry dives. Some things that can help with beach entry:

1. Sit on the beach and watch the surf. You want to time entry so that you are not entering just when a big set is going. Watch the lulls, watch the breaks, are they breaking in different locations, are the waves large or small.Do you see a lot of receding water, or is it minimal. Watching the sets now without all your gear on will help you know the timing. Do not rush to put your gear on later either. Just keep an eye on the sets.

2. Go jump in the surf zone with only the wet suit stuff on (eg suit, hood, gloves, boots). Get used to entry without gear. Feel the surge around you, get used to feeling the water push you around a little.

3. When entering the water, stay close to your buddy, position one foot in front of the other a little (off-set) and shuffle your feet a little as you are entering the surf zone. This will allow you to not have your feet sucked into the sand as the water rushes around you and creating a small pit. When the wave is at its "surgiest", don't take steps. You will lose the comfort of both feet planted when you life a foot and a wave passes under it.

4. Have no air in your BC to start. This lowers your center of gravity which will keep you a little more planted. Add air once you have your fins on and are about to flip into your back and kick out.

5. Some people advocate putting fins on before entering the surf and going in side-ways. I prefer and teach (and have had success with) advocating entering the water until the water is between waist and chest high and the using your buddy to stabilize you as you figure-four each fin on. (Put one leg across the other knee, put the fin on with a real quick adjust, then switch sides. Then help your buddy do the same if need be. Watch those sets though. Try to time fin placement with a lull in a set. Once you kick out a little, you can re-adjust your straps if you are using pull straps (vs quick straps).

6. Once out past the break, take a moment to relax.. Just C - H - I - L - L. Once you have your breath back, then you can start to kick out to the drop site.

7. When returning, try to return up the bottom of the ocean. There is more to see there and you can keep going until you hit around 3-4' of water if you want. There is no real reason to do a surface kick back if you do not need to.

8. There are NO style points for an exit. If you have to crawl out and then pull your fins off, do so. I have done this and I don't really care if others point at me. At least I made the dive and returned. I will catch my breath once I am out of the water and just go about my merry way.

These are some of the tips I try to point out to new surf entry divers. I find it amusing that PADI offers a Boat Diver cert but not a Surf Entry cert. Taking a Discover Local Diving course is a good recommendation. I think the Nov dive you mentioned you are going to go on will really help you too. Your husband will also benefit from lcoals helping him out - even if he does not want direct help, he can have a visual reference.

You sound like a solid diver that just needs more experience with surf entry and exit. You will do OK, just go at a nice pace and do not let others rush you.

Have fun and hope this long post helps..
scubapatton - this was great. I think practice is the key, for me. I will look into the purchase of my very own wetsuit. I will try what you have recommended. I can't believe this Board is so great. I am new to Boards as well. All the replies are awesome - truly helpful.
kj

muddiver:
Hi flutterbyocean,

I will be at the Wrinkles dive in November it is a really good location to get comfortable with California cold water diving because there is a stair entry instead of sand and the visability is usually really good.

I don't always agree with the "rent-as-you" go approach of wet suit use. You can get a really good custom suit from a shop like Sea Ventures in Fullerton (714) 871-2218 or through Eagl Reef for a pretty affordable price. Think about it - how many thousands of people have pee'd in that wet suit you just rented - eewww! And I doubt that the shop monkeys bother to clean them.

Anyway, a good fitting suit is important and cheeper than buying all the other hardware right away.

Sharks? Oh please! We sound like freight trains to fish when we are underwater on SCUBA. A shark won't get close enough for you to see. Don't worry.

Ask around and you might find a Divemaster or other seasoned Calif. shore diver like me that would be happy to go over all that stuff that scubapatton described above. Just like surfing, shore entries are all about watching what the ocean is doing and using that to your advantage.
I am certain that I must learn the ocean better. The waves, currents, surge, vis - all of it. I will find veterans and ask for help. I will be asking you in November if I indeed do get to go. :) I hear Laguna is where I should be practicing my beach entries because it is (can be) so calm. I have been pummeled there too, but that was in class. :wink:

There are a number of beaches you can visit that are better than some for initial training. Redondo at Veterans Park is usually a good one. Leo Carillo (North Beach) can be tough some days, but is fun. As is Malibu Road, Nicholas Canyon and even Redondo Beach (at the bus stop on PCH). The point is really, you do not need a specific beach, just specific conditions.

A general assumption that is safe to make - if the day is good for surfing, it probably is not for diving. That goes for days as much as it goes for locales. If you see lots of surfers at one beach, try a different beach. Most beaches are either West or South facing. Catching one beach one day can be better than a different beach on the same day, and vice versa.

You have the right spirit for it. Just ask people that do not seem too cocky when you hit a beach, and you will do well. Join a club if you can, and if you can, do try to get a wetsuit for you.

As noted, there is a "used" factor, shall we say, with rentals, but also, as the wetsuit goes through compression at depth, use, etc, it loses its elasticity. As it loses this elasticity, your body will feel more forced to conform to the wetsuit instead of it conforming to you - especially when it keeps getting put around different shapes of bodies. I really think you may want to look at getting a wetsuit either custom fitted, or at least new off the rack. At least go look.... Window shopping. :)

I agree. :D

The best time to enter and exit a shore dive is in the morning before the on-shore wind picks up.

The size of the surf can and usually depends on the way the beach faces. Santa Monica is generally North facing (i.e. Redondo) and gets surf during the winter months when the Pacific storms are coming out of Alaska. Laguna gets it's surf in the late summer when we are getting swell from the South Pacific storms.

And when all else fails, make like a crab and crawl!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom