Local News

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe it will cut down on crowds and be similar in tourist levels to 20 years ago.

Reactions: JFS
(double post)

I suspect that the Armada will become more conservative about port closures for the entire area after this.

There was a comment that the port was closed when this happened but I have no idea if that was true.

Thru comments on FB, they want to hang the boat owner, port captain and civil service, generally saying the captain was only doing what he was told to do......

There was a comment that the port was closed when this happened but I have no idea if that was true.

Thru comments on FB, they want to hang the boat owner, port captain and civil service, generally saying the captain was only doing what he was told to do......
Maybe the boat owner but the Port Captain and civil service are federal. Like in the US, I suspect, they are basically untouchable.

The tourists nationalities were not mentioned. If they were foreign nationals a lot of noise and possible blow back on the tourist industry may occur. If they were Mexican locals or tourists, like the boat that swamped in front of downtown last month, it will quite down rapidly after a scapegoat is designated.

I also have no idea whether port was closed up there, but I did take ferry to PDC for dinner at Oh lala (great upscale restaurant). Usually if wind is coming onshore here, things are calm over at PDC. The waves actually didn't calm down until were 500 meters from the ferry pier at PDC, with the worst waves of the trip maybe 1 mile off PDC. Obviously Puerto Juarez/Isla is 40+miles north of PDC, but somewhat similar positions relative to wind. Just noting they may have gotten less protection from being in the lee of the mainland than they were expecting (still no excuse, but wouldn't shock me if this was a contributing factor).

Just because your boat doesn't require wearing life vests doesn't mean it's a bad idea. Wear one. If the boat doesn't have any, don't board.

The tourists nationalities were not mentioned. If they were foreign nationals a lot of noise and possible blow back on the tourist industry may occur. If they were Mexican locals or tourists, like the boat that swamped in front of downtown last month, it will quite down rapidly after a scapegoat is designated.

They were all Mexican tourists.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom