Local News

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The violent crime rate has increased quite a bit, but tourists are rarely targeted/affected. .

Petty crime has been and continues to be worse than the states...

You don't hear as much about most petty crime because it is so ridiculously commonplace that people don't even bother to mention specific instances.

These lines above are my take-away from your post. I agree except for the line "Tourists are rarely targeted/affected." I think that is the old stand-by line that everybody repeats, but with little evidence. As you correctly stated, most of these "petty" crimes don't get reported. They don't make it to the news media, anyway. I know of two American women who had their arm or wrist broken when thieves on motorcycles grabbed their purse strap and drug them to the ground. I know of one woman who was followed from Chedraui and robbed at gunpoint when she got out of her car. That was videotaped by a security camera, but no one was arrested. Our next door neighbor (American) had her purse snatched when a moto jumped up on the sidewalk and the guy on the back grabbed it as she was walking on 5th avenue near calle 6 at midday. NONE of my friends in Cozumel can say they haven't had their car or house broken into at least once. Stealing from cars is commonplace. I had the lock on my car door smashed out with a hammer and punch as we sat at Playa Martin one day. Stealing the batteries from cars (rental or private) parked on the street at night is an island industry. Then there are the extortion games the police play with tourists in rental cars or motos, which I consider a petty crime as well.

While your chances of being hit by a stray bullet during one of Cozumel's monthly executions (15 last year) are low, the chances of being a crime victim on Cozumel is not insignificant. There is no "honor among thieves" on Cozumel that says "you must leave the tourist alone," although that seems to be the stand the tourist boards, media, and chat boards take. The low-hanging fruit gets picked first, no matter what your passport says.

So, hypothetically, if I walk around with a wooden cane and I smack the bejesus out of a mugger, do I have to worry about the police, other thugs, both or neither

So, hypothetically, if I walk around with a wooden cane and I smack the bejesus out of a mugger, do I have to worry about the police, other thugs, both or neither
In Mexico, only the the police can determine if an object is a defensive weapon or an offensive weapon. The possession of an offensive weapon is illegal. A friend of mine is a tall, blond Mexican around 70 years old. He looks American. He was riding his bicycle on 5 Avenue near 10th street and was accosted by two guys on a motorcycle, who stopped and were going to try to rob him. He whipped out one of those collapsible weighted-baton/Billy-clubs from his pocket and scared them off. A while later the police stopped him while he was driving his car and asked him if he had a collapsible baton/Billy-club with him. He said no. They told him "We know you carry one. Be careful."

These lines above are my take-away from your post. I agree except for the line "Tourists are rarely targeted/affected." I think that is the old stand-by line that everybody repeats, but with little evidence. As you correctly stated, most of these "petty" crimes don't get reported. They don't make it to the news media, anyway. I know of two American women who had their arm or wrist broken when thieves on motorcycles grabbed their purse strap and drug them to the ground. I know of one woman who was followed from Chedraui and robbed at gunpoint when she got out of her car. That was videotaped by a security camera, but no one was arrested. Our next door neighbor (American) had her purse snatched when a moto jumped up on the sidewalk and the guy on the back grabbed it as she was walking on 5th avenue near calle 6 at midday. NONE of my friends in Cozumel can say they haven't had their car or house broken into at least once. Stealing from cars is commonplace. I had the lock on my car door smashed out with a hammer and punch as we sat at Playa Martin one day. Stealing the batteries from cars (rental or private) parked on the street at night is an island industry. Then there are the extortion games the police play with tourists in rental cars or motos, which I consider a petty crime as well.

While your chances of being hit by a stray bullet during one of Cozumel's monthly executions (15 last year) are low, the chances of being a crime victim on Cozumel is not insignificant. There is no "honor among thieves" on Cozumel that says "you must leave the tourist alone," although that seems to be the stand the tourist boards, media, and chat boards take. The low-hanging fruit gets picked first, no matter what your passport says.
I am aware of most of the incidents you mentioned. The one thing you ignored is the baseline--violent crime in the US is a long way from zero, so I still think the tourist is probably slightly safer here than at home for the time being. The core question is "Would I recommend someone avoid Cozumel due to the violent crime?" Then answer is no, something could happen here but the risk is probably less than or equal to the states . I know the injuries from the purse snatchings are real, but I am thinking more about getting shot, murdered, stabbed, kidnapped etc. With the current trend of Cozumel crime getting worse and worse, sadly my answer could change a few years down the road. I believe we both agree that ignoring/downplaying crime activity is definitely not the way to go, and that wasn't what I intended. Obviously business owners don't want to scare off tourists, but if authorities keep doing nothing eventually tourists will not want to come here. My guess is that petty crime is a leading indicator of more serious crime since young criminals are learning there are no consequences for their actions.

FYI: My personal US baseline includes a stranger-on-stranger murder 50 feet from my building's front door a few months back among several other incidents within a couple of miles of my US home. These also include a road rage incident that killed a small town high school girl passing through on her way to see sunrise at the beach in Galveston (she cut some guy off as she swerved to avoid a braking car--clearly a capital offense).

I have wondered at the increase of street gangs killing each other, primarily over the drug trade over the last few years.
Prior to Peral Tun the PRI had control of the mayors office and basically only the Municipal police, policed the island, with the federal police handling the Airport and ferry pier (?). Then Perla Tun of the PAN party became mayor and the governor stationed the state (Estatal) police on the island, agaist the mayors wishes. Then ALMO and the Morena party (old guard PRI) gained the presidency and the National Guard was formed and sent to the island during the pandemic.
Now that there are three major police organizations on the island the rival drug gangs are shooting each other and no one seems to be interested in policing street crimes and crimes against property.

Another day another boat

Attachments

• IMG_1795.jpeg
    IMG_1795.jpeg
    113.8 KB · Views: 63
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom