Local News

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seems like pretty dated info. Haven't seen the ferries around since pre pandemic, I remember reading somewhere that they ended up in Australia (no confirmation). When it was running it upset the Winjet / Ultramar duopoly and forced some competition.
The Barcos Caribbe ferries are parked at Isla mujares. Saw last year when I was sharking.

Fonatur developed Cancun in the early 1970's and has built it up to what it is now.
They have run it for 50 years.

I have no clue as to how well it will do under state control rather than federal.

If not for the Federal investment at the Cozumel marina, all the boats would still be at caletta and the land would be in private ownership.

My feeling is that both will suffer without Federal control.

Fonatur: "We horribly mismanaged these projects but we've got our money now, so bye-bye."
I wonder how this will effect the lawsuit by IHG (international hotels, parent of El Presidente) over the city not honoring the agreement for them to take control of the old Caleta in exchange for the land that became the entrance to the new marina.

The year is off to a roaring start! The first link is to an article about the surge of armed, daylight robberies targeting tourists in Tulum. The second is a link to an article about the armed robbery on the carretera costa sur by Mr. Sanchos Beach Club on Cozumel in front of a busload of tourists, where the robbers shot up the Mr. Sancho’s pickup truck before making off with the day's receipts.

Broad daylight robberies in crowded areas becoming Tulum norm - Riviera Maya News

Con balazos asaltan restaurante Mr. Sancho's en Cozumel -

If you opened the link to the Tulum robberies in my post above, you can see that the robberies were captured on surveillance video cameras. This does nothing to stop or catch the robbers. The video can't be used as evidence in Mexico.

The Cozumel government has decided to install a bunch of video surveillance cameras around town. The old ones they had were never maintained and one-by-one quit working, so now, they are installing 20-meter high posts with cameras atop. The installation job was subbed out to a contractor. It looks like the government indicated on a street map the spots where they wanted the posts installed, but not the EXACT spots. So, now we have some posts installed on the ends of the esplanades on some of the avenues, and SOME POSTS INSTALLED RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE STREET. See photo attached. Anyway, now we get to have a clear view of crimes after the fact, even if you don't get a clear view of oncoming traffic.

sfg.jpg

If you opened the link to the Tulum robberies in my post above, you can see that the robberies were captured on surveillance video cameras. This does nothing to stop or catch the robbers. The video can't be used as evidence in Mexico.

The Cozumel government has decided to install a bunch of video surveillance cameras around town. The old ones they had were never maintained and one-by-one quit working, so now, they are installing 20-meter high posts with cameras atop. The installation job was subbed out to a contractor. It looks like the government indicated on a street map the spots where they wanted the posts installed, but not the EXACT spots. So, now we have some posts installed on the ends of the esplanades on some of the avenues, and SOME POSTS INSTALLED RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE STREET. See photo attached. Anyway, now we get to have a clear view of crimes after the fact, even if you don't get a clear view of oncoming traffic.

View attachment 820043

Its bad enough with the tall shrubs that obstruct views when trying to navigate in traffic

welcome to the jungle

welcome to the jungle

I once got pissed off at the bushes that blocked the view of the oncoming traffic at the roundabout at Nacho's gas station in front of Puerta Maya. I got so frustrated I stopped and took a machete to them. As I was whacking away, the police came by and told me I couldn't cut the bushes without permission of the Ayuntamiento. To their credit, a few days later, the bushes were trimmed back by the Ayuntamiento. A rare win.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom