Local News

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This conversation is interesting.

I was in Punta Cana a couple weeks back at a resort with amazing beaches....covered in sargassam. I am almost positive this place built its reputation based on its beaches. But the time I was there, no one was at the beach. I kept asking myself why go to beach resorts if you cannot use the beach?

Its only a matter of time before this impacts these resorts. Yes people will still go on vacation, but that doesn't mean sargassam isn't a huge disruptor in the Caribbean. I am going to start tracking sargassam season like I track hurricane season.

This conversation is interesting.

I was in Punta Cana a couple weeks back at a resort with amazing beaches....covered in sargassam. I am almost positive this place built its reputation based on its beaches. But the time I was there, no one was at the beach. I kept asking myself why go to beach resorts if you cannot use the beach?

Its only a matter of time before this impacts these resorts. Yes people will still go on vacation, but that doesn't mean sargassam isn't a huge disruptor in the Caribbean. I am going to start tracking sargassam season like I track hurricane season.
Sargassum "season" is a lot longer than hurricane season, and unlike a hurricane sargassum hangs around for months and the probability of the eastern coasts of Cozumel and the Yucatan of being inundated by it are virtually 100% every year.

28 percent complete ? Ugh. I think that puts the end date well into 2024
That would not surprise me; it is a big project, and such things typically progress more slowly there than they might in other places. It is unfortunate that the pipe being excavated and replaced is directly underneath the busiest thoroughfare on the island.

And the last I heard all the Jeeps for rent are actually only 2 wheel drive and 'insurance' is null and void if you go off road or are drinking.
I have heard that as well, and those folks were probably advised of all that when they rented the Jeep. Some people's sense of adventure somehow overrides their common sense and leads them to do stupid things like this.

That would not surprise me; it is a big project, and such things typically progress more slowly there than they might in other places. It is unfortunate that the pipe being excavated and replaced is directly underneath the busiest thoroughfare on the island.
And we are coming up on what is traditionally the rainy season. I believe the 72% left is the section down Melgar from the airport road to Punta Langosta (or does it go down to Chedraui?). Shouldn't cause an issue with high tourist season in about 2-3 months, right?
1691161619009.png

Ten years ago, 2013, it began raining the third week of August and didn't slack off until December.

Back
Top Bottom