Local Grinds - the chat thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK Kids....

1) Anitpastos is TERRIBLE. Worse than Spaghetti O's with Ketchup.

2) Kanapai (on Ward, where Tio's Garage AKA Dixie Grill) used to be has outstanding Pupus and is an overall great place to watch sports

3) All time favorite place to eat on Oahu has become Side Street Inn. Gotta try the Pocho Clams with the portuguese sausage. SO ONO!

4) Royal Burger (mmmm Teri Burgers) with an extra patty at W and M burgers on Waialae. Thanks Captain Scotty!

Let's get this thread crankin again!

we just got back from a mini trip to Kauai and had a couple meals out. This is our take:

Kountry Kitchen - the ad looked so promising, the real thing was a let down. The host seemed bothered that he had to step away from his buddies to seat us, the coffee tasted burned, the service was rude and they brought us the wrong food. The food was ok...but just ok.

Aloha all! If you have recently been to the islands and have enjoyed a good meal - post it so we can keep our grinds threads current!
If you're local and have anything to add, please do so!!

Aloha,
Lisa

Since I now live on the Big Island, and searching out places with good food and cheap (being retired and all), a few that I have not noticed posted:

Humpy's Ale House, on Ali'i Dr near Huggo's. Great ocean view. Apparently a new place, associated with the same name place in Alaska. Great beer selection, outstanding Halibut & chips. Calamari appetizer with Chipolte sauce is great too. Nice to have a fish & chips place nearby. Fairly inexpensive on happy hour, $2 off everything. Being new, they seem to be getting stabilized. Dinner choices looked very reasonable in $, will try more soon.

Jackie Rey's on Kuakini. Excellent dinner there a few days ago. Did not know it beforehand, but Wednesday is half price for the wine on the main menu (not the wine list). Had a nice bottle of Australian Pinot Noir for $14, wife had award-winning boneless ribs, I had the Ono special with two large slabs of fish. A bit over $50 plus tip. A place for locals, no ocean view, etc. but great food.

We will return to both very soon.

A known place: Huggo's. We continue to go there for the location, but the very expensive food is still a crap shoot. Superb one time, incredibly mediocre the next. A love-hate thing for us.

More later as we explore.

Is Hugo's over the water with the piano?

all the underwater photography on the walls?

Is Hugo's over the water with the piano?

all the underwater photography on the walls?
Yeah, Huggo's has that great spot on the water, possibly best spot in Kona. Piano in the bar I think, and maybe the pics. Never bothered going in there. Often live music next door at Huggos on the Rocks.

I found it very romantic:eyebrow:

I don't think I even remember the food

Three places worth mentioning -

Mi's Italian Bistro - Kealakekua. Morgan (chef) and Ingrid (front of house) - Lovely place, great food. Mi's Italian Bistro: The Menu

Holuakoa Gardens - Holualoa. 76-5901 Mamalahoa Hwy, Holualoa (808) 322-2233

Kiawe Kitchen - Volcano. For dinner after a trip to the Volcanoes National Park. 19-4005 Haunani Rd in Volcano village - (808) 967-7711

Three places worth mentioning -

Mi's Italian Bistro

Holuakoa Gardens
Thanks, couple more to check out.

Wife ate at Manago Hotel, said it was very good, with excellent prices. On my list as well...........

Hadn't looked at this thread in a while...

For the Big Island... Hamburgers - can hardly go wrong at Splasher's across from the pier in town. This is one of our favorite all-around restaurants (good breakfasts, good burgers, interesting good dinner specials). Don's Tiki Bar has a couple of very good burgers, try their sweet potato fries with the burger, Don's tops my list of best places to have a maitai at sundown. Drysdale's big burger is good. Heard good things about Jackie Rey's burger but haven't tried it. A very good 5-6 buck burger - Pine Trees Cafe. Seeing as how this is a "divers" message board, Kalama's on the way to Kealakekua Bay has an OK, but kinda spendy, burger.

Best restaurants without blowing a huge hole in your wallet? Call Keei Cafe (cash only) in Kealakekua and Jackie Rey's the tops. At the resorts both would command a higer price. After that I'd say Don the Beachcombers, and then off all things, Splasher's. I've always liked the Kona Inn Restaurant, but haven't eaten there other than the oceanside bar area in years. Huggo's has a better lunch than dinner reputation among some locals... kinda busy at dinner, I tried it and everyone in my group had overcooked meals, I'd try lunch.

Interesting flavors? Check out Rapa Nui in the Banyon tree mall (or something like that), it's a small 6-8 business shopping court across from the main seawall in town under the banyon tree, behind the jewelry store. Kind of a pacific/indonesian fusion flavor place at a decent price.

Best breakfast? Check out U-top-It for crepe style items and a few other interesting items (I like their take on a spicy loco moco), Lava Java looks good... I've yet to eat there, too crowded for me. Splasher's has a surprisingly good breakfast, actually our favorite in town. My wife loves the crabcakes eggs benedict (yummy, I wanna say they're $13, eggs benedict on biscuit will cost you $11-$14 anywhere else in town if they have it), I usually pick one of their interesting breakfast specials. If you're staying up north, and diving out of Honokohau Harbor, stop in at Pine Trees Cafe for a quick breakfast on the way rather than spending 10-15 bucks for a ceral and a grapefruit at the Hilton... gotta admit, I haven't tried it, but I've heard good things (I like Pine Trees Cafe's offerings in general).

Best Mai-tais... Don's tiki bar (can't beat the view). Keei Cafe (interesting li heng mui spice involved). We liked Jackie Rey's mai-tai as well. All the others suck... just kidding... haven't had time to check out everyone's mai-tai.

Best Buffet? Gotta mention this. The Surf Sand And Stars Buffet at the Four Seasons on Saturday nights is kind of special. If you're OK with an 82 buck buffet, it's wonderful, especially if the weather is cooperating. Back in the day, before the big earthquake, the Mauna Kea Sunday buffet was special, about 42 bucks, haven't tried it since they've reopened - assuming it still exists.

Best Pizza? Kona Brew Pub is always recommended. Depending on tastes, check out Mahina Pizza Co. and Pizzeria Zacchini above Costco.

Best deal? 6 tacos for $3.57 at the newly opened Jack in the Box off their value menu (I ate there today, there's no accounting for tastes).

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom