Local Dry Suit Repair Shop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kmed

Registered
Reaction score
I would like to add a relief/convenience zipper to my Mobbys Sport Shell drysuit. The Sport Shell is 420 denier tri-lam material. Is there a local shop that can do this work? Who? Where? Would you recommend them?

I have already contacted the two shops which seem to show up on various other postings and are not local.

Thanks!
KMed

Kmed:
I would like to add a relief/convenience zipper to my Mobbys Sport Shell drysuit. The Sport Shell is 420 denier tri-lam material. Is there a local shop that can do this work? Who? Where? Would you recommend them?

I have already contacted the two shops which seem to show up on various other postings and are not local.

Thanks!
KMed

Superior Drysuit Repair, not local, does an excellent job. You can pay extra for a really quick turn around.

Kmed:

Thanks!
KMed

The local drysuit repair facility is the first three letters of your name (KME Drysuit Repair) and are located in Auburn.

You might also call Silent World in Bellevue ... I know they do seal replacements, but don't know about other drysuit work.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Just wanted to say thanks for the advice. I haven't called Silent World yet but I will. I've received several quotes for the install already and am looking forward to taking the drysuit in to someone this weekend.

KMed

Hello kmed,

We are the official repair center for Mobby's in the US. You can send it to us if you cannot find a local shop to install the zipper.

The cost would be $195.00

Visit www.drysuitseals.com

James

I'll just warn you to stay away from KME - I had the worst possible service (quality, duration) on having them replace a zipper on my suit. I dropped it off in November ('04), didn't get it back until late February ('05), and when I got it back, those idiots had put the zipper in upside down. It's a diagonal across the front style, and, besides being no-longer self donning when backwards, it can't even seal because of the over-zipper. I had to have them re-do it, and then they still insisted on full price (and held the suit hostage.) It took an additional two weeks.

All I can say is that friend don't let friends use KME for suit repairs...

Superior Drysuit Repair in Minnesota has done excellent work for me ever since. The quality of their stuff has been better than the manufacturer's in some case, and, with the rush shipping, I've had things back to me in a week. Most local shops seem to take a lot longer than that...

There are two things I don't do when I do business with a company - accept second rate quality, and second chances. They failed on both accords.

YMMV - if you're trusting, be my guest...they've been in business for a long time, so they must occasionally manage to bumble something right, hopefully more often than not.

They screwed up with my stuff to a level that's pretty unreasonable - any idiot could have looked at the zipper before they ripped it out and figured which way it goes, or could've tested the suit afterwards and seen clearly that it would've leaked. Drysuit repair isn't rocket science. The nail in the coffin for them is that they then didn't do anything to make it right. As a side note, I'm also not pleased with the quality of the "fixed" zipper replacement, either. It's already starting to go on me, and I've been pretty light on the suit this last year and a half, as I've been busy with activities that preclude diving, and have maybe 100 dives on it since, which is pretty low.

That kind of behavior put KME on my proverbial "never again" list. I've got a better term for that list, but this is a "family" BBS. What reason would I have to possibly go back, especially when I have found an upright, reliable, high quality vendor who does better work and costs less?

I think, like viz, repairs are like a crapshoot...some win, some fail.
Just my .02cents....
K

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom