Lobster report in Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, the wife and I got 8 this year. **** is alot harder than people act like it is. lol . We had a good time tho. Got pulled over 5 times and got 1 ticket but it was worth it.

got 45 total...

limited out on the second day (3 shy the first day, everyone quit and wanted to go back early, but we could have easily got 3 more)

the second day we limited out on ONE tank each! (3 divers)!

it was definitely the best season yet. I'll post some pics, I did eat 3 of them last night, and man they were so delicious!

the only thing that I don't like about mini-season is how the Floridians treat out-of-staters... I'm pretty much tired of being called a raper and pillager...

some of the pics

IMG_2457.jpg

IMG_2366.jpg

Our group brought home 93 keepers this year, down a few from last year's 106! But they sure tasted good at our 'All you can eat Lobster Fest' Friday night!

Indian Valley, don't be jealous that we got more lobster per person than you ;-) hahaha

how many divers did yall have again?

rhinoguy, this was my fourth year, and I finally found the Mecca! and I'm not telling!!!

we just found a nice coral line at about 25-40 ft and would use a tow board until we saw a lobster or 2. jump in and start catching them. we had 3 divers and a licensed fisherman on surface with stamp so had 4 limits we could fill and filled them both days. There arnt any "secret spots" really its just finding either coral or a nice grass patch that the lobster can hide in and explore a little. our 2nd dive on the 2nd day we only got 2 lobster and covered a huge section of reef with tons of holes they could easily hide in. our 3rd dive we found 3 heads that were loaded right next to each other and each of us was trying to flag everyone over so we could clear the lobster out and eventually got one cleared then moved along to the other head (got 18 total on that 15ft strip of coral)

the only thing that I don't like about mini-season is how the Floridians treat out-of-staters... I'm pretty much tired of being called a raper and pillager...

nahh.... the commercial guys are the rapist and pillagers, you guys are just the ones that provide us a little extra cash in our local economy during the nonsnowbird season. If we didnt like the tourists we would have given the people asking for spots coordinates to the fish markets.

Red lobster would be good coordinates for getting lobster too...

Last edited:
Indian Valley, don't be jealous that we got more lobster per person than you ;-) hahaha

how many divers did yall have again?

rhinoguy, this was my fourth year, and I finally found the Mecca! and I'm not telling!!!

We had 16 divers average per trip, but of that group, at least 8 were on their very first lobster dives, so much of our effort was in the education of how to spot / hunt snag lobsters.

That being said, I am proud of our groups efforts and results.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom