Lobster report in Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

got 89 with three guys, just a little over the limit, but you have to get them in the keys when the opportunity presents itself because once the traps are set out, it is pretty much over....hint..with the full moon this opening week there won't be any lobbies in the traps, basically because they won't move when it's a full moon. This is a direct quote from my commercial guy who has been trapping for years. He hates when there is a full moon during the first week of setting out the traps...

I was offered to catch 12 lobsters to help some freedivers and we would split the catch. Problem was, it was right below a house in a canal and when I found out about this, I refused to catch them. I was actually proud of myself for respecting the laws... Out-of-state people get a lot of flack from Floridians, but it seems to me most of the people breaking the rules are Floridians. (Most, not all)

I can't believe you would admit that jaynie, but anyways...

yes, but it has to be 300 feet from any structure...

yes, but it has to be 300 feet from any structure...

I just meant to get respect from Floridians. :D

I haven't been down to the Keys for bugs in quite a while.

Chad

It gets annoying when you go out with an ego and not being humble (Even locals get on my nerves for it) then have the wrong idea of what the state provides when you feel jipped. also people expecting recreational sportsmen to give them locations of places we go to fish or catch bugs. We dont want our "hot spots" to get loaded up with people so we can enjoy it as much as possible. My friends and i have been running around the areas we fish and bug for a few years and know the terrain a bit, then we get drug behind a boat to find areas that are active. When you come down here and try finding your own spots like that you realise some of the hard work the groups putting up numbers near the limit invest (unless that person is just lucky) and wouldnt give up info other than the basics of finding rocks or grass then look for lobster and decide from how many you see in a decent area get a tow board or a ski rope and get drug behind the boat a bit and see if you come across anything through that general area.

I mostly get annoyed by outa towners driving under the speed limit and sight seeing while they should be driving, trailering a boat with no clue where the ramp is (going through residential areas with a boat that roads are tiny and a pain to drive already) or the conditions of the ramp and getting on a ramp too steep for their vehicle and getting stuck or backing up to far and getting hung up. Also anchoring up on a sandbar and getting too preoccupied to notice tide change and getting stuck

JackSpearo- good call on the not getting bugs from infront of the house, most people that do that are either the home owners or friends of the home owner and the law states like 300 ft from it

It gets annoying when you go out with an ego and not being humble (Even locals get on my nerves for it) then have the wrong idea of what the state provides when you feel jipped. also people expecting recreational sportsmen to give them locations of places we go to fish or catch bugs. We dont want our "hot spots" to get loaded up with people so we can enjoy it as much as possible. My friends and i have been running around the areas we fish and bug for a few years and know the terrain a bit, then we get drug behind a boat to find areas that are active. When you come down here and try finding your own spots like that you realise some of the hard work the groups putting up numbers near the limit invest (unless that person is just lucky) and wouldnt give up info other than the basics of finding rocks or grass then look for lobster and decide from how many you see in a decent area get a tow board or a ski rope and get drug behind the boat a bit and see if you come across anything through that general area.

I mostly get annoyed by outa towners driving under the speed limit and sight seeing while they should be driving, trailering a boat with no clue where the ramp is (going through residential areas with a boat that roads are tiny and a pain to drive already) or the conditions of the ramp and getting on a ramp too steep for their vehicle and getting stuck or backing up to far and getting hung up. Also anchoring up on a sandbar and getting too preoccupied to notice tide change and getting stuck

JackSpearo- good call on the not getting bugs from infront of the house, most people that do that are either the home owners or friends of the home owner and the law states like 300 ft from it

Where are these "hot spots"?

there is a marker that we find in around 30 ft deep that marks reef line that we usually get towed around behind the boat and use that as a referance point for when we change spots after first dives so we end up through a new area. we just find it easy to scan through that area and know there is stuff to be found there but its not an exact location. If you want more details you will have to pinky promise with a blood oat

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom