Lobster hunting free diver dead - Laguna Beach cove, California

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Excerpting from Lobster diver dies after equipment is entangled with rocks off Laguna Beach, preventing him from surfacing – Orange County Register
Huff’s friends told officials all three dove down 20 to 30 feet, but when the friends surfaced, Huff was not with them, said police Sgt. Jim Cota.

“They found him unconscious near the bottom,” Cota said. “They attempted to pull him up but he was caught on something. They eventually pulled him up and out of the water.”

The article above states that his "fishing gear" apparently got caught in the rocks. That happens to me a lot when on scuba (I haven't been freediving for lobster in years). My lobster gauge and my game bag, both on clips on my belt, get caught in cracks in rocks quite a bit.

It would be a matter of whether the gear caused the death or was incidental afterwords.

When using gear, freediving and scuba, I know how it can get caught so I can usually dislodge it easily and if not it is easily removed from my person. I don't know any other hunter that doesn't take the same precautions.

Bob

@Jim Tolly
My most sincere condolences on the loss of your friend Ryan Huff. I have had, on several occasions, the same unanswered questions and the experiencing that which you are currently having

It is noted you are not a certified diver -- Is it a valid assumption that the late Ryan Huff was also not certified, therefore free diving minus SCUBA equipment ?

It is also recognized that the popular nylon bags, unless folded and under control are a snag hazard waiting to happen - Do you know Did Mr. Huff use a free floating nylon bag ? Or did he dive with it folded under control?

I know OC diving and all the beaches very well. Along with the late Ron Merker we authored the first diving guide to OC diving in the early 1970s (also only the second dive guide ever printed)
1000 steps was not a popular shore dive location due to it accessibility. Have you and the late Mr. Huff previously dove the area in daylight so as to be some what familiar with the cove ?

It is recognized that these and many other questions yet to be stated are difficult for you in this tine of grief and questioning -- but the answers may contribute in some small way of saving another divers life.

Sincerely

Sam Miller, 111

@Scuba Lawyer

@Marie 13 CE

I am Ryan Huff’s sister and there have been a lot of inaccuracies reported. There a still reviews being done, but we do know factually, Ryan went lobster diving on the morning of 9/28/19, free diving. He is fully certified and also scuba certified, a VERY experienced diver. After catching his quota he went spear diving, going after a fish. He missed and his gun got stuck, he was at the end of his breath hold & although his dive partners were already coming to help him it is believed he had a shallow water black out. By the time his partners had gotten to him he was not conscious. Due to the swell & his unconsciousness, he then likely got entangled on his spear line. His knife was on his arm and his dive watch initial review by OC SPEAROS showed no change in heart rate or any indication he was struggling, it is being reviewed by the top in the US for any further details it may provide. His dive partners cut his line and pulled him up, he was not floating. They had to pull him to the beach in high swells. It took approx 10 min for his dive partners to realize something wasn’t right, and get him to surface and due to the high swells, approx 15 min to get him to the beach. This was not an inexperienced man or negligent team. This was a tragic accident in a dangerous sport. More confirmed details will be emerging clarifying details. But as his family, talking to people there with him, experts who worked with him, it’s upsetting to see media report inaccurate news. Thank you.

Thank you for that information @lisa r.
I have NEVER read a wholly accurate account in the press about an event that I have personal knowledge of so I understand and appreciate your frustration. I think I can safely say that all of us in the diving community mourn the tragic loss of your brother. Even if we didn't know him personally, he was our brother too.

I am Ryan Huff’s sister and there have been a lot of inaccuracies reported. There a still reviews being done, but we do know factually, Ryan went lobster diving on the morning of 9/28/19, free diving. He is fully certified and also scuba certified, a VERY experienced diver. After catching his quota he went spear diving, going after a fish. He missed and his gun got stuck, he was at the end of his breath hold & although his dive partners were already coming to help him it is believed he had a shallow water black out. By the time his partners had gotten to him he was not conscious. Due to the swell & his unconsciousness, he then likely got entangled on his spear line. His knife was on his arm and his dive watch initial review by OC SPEAROS showed no change in heart rate or any indication he was struggling, it is being reviewed by the top in the US for any further details it may provide. His dive partners cut his line and pulled him up, he was not floating. They had to pull him to the beach in high swells. It took approx 10 min for his dive partners to realize something wasn’t right, and get him to surface and due to the high swells, approx 15 min to get him to the beach. This was not an inexperienced man or negligent team. This was a tragic accident in a dangerous sport. More confirmed details will be emerging clarifying details. But as his family, talking to people there with him, experts who worked with him, it’s upsetting to see media report inaccurate news. Thank you.
Sorry for your loss.

@lisa r.

Dear Lisa
On behalf of all divers every where a big thank you for the synopsis and clarification of the accident - I certainly appreciate the difficulty and pain you experience composing the response.

So very sorry to read about the untimely and certainly preventable passing of your dear brother.
I extend to you your family and all his friends and diving buddies my most sincere heart felt condolences on such a great loss.

So many years ago I was enrolled in basic anatomy class. On the wall behind the professors lectern in large printing was the following statement which I have never forgotten after so many years
~~~~ "We learn from the dead : Virchow" ~~~~
Our professor who was one of the all time greats gave a very moving lecture about the treating of the deceased with great respect and dignity as you would a dear friend who had passed away.

You are enrolled on the SCUBA board and can read all the future comments made by the members.
Some will be from local divers others from distant places; some will be comforting others painful to read but we all need to learn so the same mistakes are never ever repeated and once again and divers every where will need to question why ?

Once again in closing I extend to you and your family my most sincere heart felt condolences on the loss of your dear brother

Sam Miller, III.

Back
Top Bottom