Lobster bag suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've seen quite a few buggers coming back to the boat boasting of 4 or 5 bugs only to find the zipper had worked its way open.

Yep, I usually cut the tiny zipper pull tab off. Yes it's harder to use your finger to open it back up, but that's the purpose so it doesn't snag on anything underwater.

Also on the lobster hotels, the big nylon zip tie that holds the fabric to the plastic chute tends to loosen up after a while and I've seen whole bags come apart just as they are being handed up at the dive ladder. To solve that problem, we have been getting $2 big 10" stainless steel pipe clamps at Home Depot in the plumbing section and they just fit on the plastic chute. You can then torque it down above the rope clip so it's impossible to slip down. It's really cheap insurance. You may also want to re-tie a stronger rope clip since the new ones are not very strong at all.

Funnily enough, I went with Option #1 and tried it for the first time today. Wasn't that enamoured with it (although it wasn't a great day - just one bug). Bit of a pain getting the tail in and forcing them down. Once they are half way in it is great, but the fiddly bit seems less good than on a regular bag. I'll give it a couple more shots before I give up on it though.

Just got back from LDS woth opion 2. Have to wait till friday to try it out. Thanks for all the advice

Funnily enough, I went with Option #1 and tried it for the first time today. Wasn't that enamoured with it (although it wasn't a great day - just one bug). Bit of a pain getting the tail in and forcing them down. Once they are half way in it is great, but the fiddly bit seems less good than on a regular bag. I'll give it a couple more shots before I give up on it though.

I've got similar to option #1. the first time I tried to put a bug in it..... I did it "nice and slow" It got defensive, it spread all out, trying to block itself from being stuffed in and grabbing the sides.

after that I went with the "slam dunk method" and didn't give them any chance to grab on to sides, etc... works great.

While I'm happy with this bag, it is a little big and baggy around the big plastic hoop. folks I know that lobster hunt more regularly go more for Option#2 or #3 openings.

I have used them all, and I prefer style #1.
I have been using type #1 for over 20 years.
I have had three of them in that time.
Up to 5 pound bug fits in the largest hotel size I can attest.
I have not caught anything bigger.....but hope springs eternal!!
It may not be the best for you, but it works for me.

Chug
Eats bugs.

Hi Chug I hope your bags to small this season.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom