Loads of questions about Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been to CCV before and you can't beat the shore diving IMO very easy. I have also stayed at Bay Island Beach resort. Like was said earlier, at CCV you get the two dives, at AK and BIBR you get three dives a day from a boat. at BIBR and CCV you could also do more unlimited shore diving, but I didn't find I needed to do more than three dives a day, between getting back and forth, meals, Etc, I was quite satisfied with just three dives from the boat. My wife however did do a couple of trips through the snorkel trail that BIBR has. I was at AK for a medical issue with the little lady, and it looked very nice as well. VERY big boats, looked like it would be a bit cattleboatish. I alos noticed that AK does cater to alot of the pod people. where BIBR and CCV don't get that many. Most people who go to BIBR or CCV are there for a week or more, so you tend to dive with the same people if you like to do that. As for IOLR... I have not been there, but I think I remember that it is quite a ways out on the island. I might be wrong about that. Paya bay is also WAYYYY out there, nice place though. Not very good put in take out, as they simply beach the boat and you walk in through the surf, as they have no dock there. Nice private sunning beach.
CCV was burning thier trash on two of the days I was there, and it really smelled.
As for the food issue I understand that it has been solved, that said I did get intenstinal distress at both CCV Two years ago and BIBR this year, so I think it's a problem with me, more than them at this point. I also had the same troubles on two different cruise ships. Sensitive tummy I guess.
I believe IMHO that the diving is better on the CCV side compared to the Noth side where AK and BIBR is located. The reef is just nicer, and more fish life. GREAT walls! It's pretty hard to beat Marys place, Valley of the kings, the Prince albert wreck Etc.
And finally compared to Bonaire, RTB is much easier and cheaper to get to then Bonaire is, as it is quite a bit closer to the US.

I have been to Roatan every year for the past 6 years. Have stayed at CoCo View / Fantasy / AKR / Inn of Last Resorts.

I spent 6 weeks at the Inn Last Jun/July had a great time. I will be there for a month in Aug/Sep this year as well...

The rooms are rustic but very clean, all have AC but no TV.

What I really llike about the Inn is the atmopshere, you won't be there 2 days before you feel like part of the family and that you kind of own the place. The boats aren't croweded, the dive staff service is beyond belief... Unless you tell them not to they will clean and store your gear and have it rigged on the boat before each dive. If you don't want to rent a car.. you can usually catch a ride with Vern or Mellissa to just about anywhere else on the island you want to go.. They are about a 2 miles from West End Beach and somebody's usually going there to party every night and you can catch a ride with them.

Fantasy is located on the most beutifull place I've ever been.. The two half moon beaches are nothing less then out of this world. They have the best food of anybody on the Island. It's getting a little too main stream for me... The Cruise Ships usually send a couple of busses over for a Day Outing when they are in port and on those days it gets a little crowded, else it's pretty laid back as well.

CoCo is nice but it's a little too HARD CORE dive till you drop then I care for.

AKR is just too Comerical for me............

I have found that if you EMail the resorts and wheel and deal a little that you can stay at any of the above for about the same money and for sure a lot less then you can get through a travel agent.

Where ever you plan to stay I think you will enjoy yourselves. TRY to get there this year... The island is catching on quick and it won't be long till it becomes one of those Cattle Car places like the "YUK"itan

Hope this was of some help.

Karen,

My husband and I along with four friends just returned from a nine day trip at Inn of Last Resort. I can't remcommend them highly enough. The managers, Melissa and Vern, immedately make you feel at home. The owner, Andy, is too wonderful for words. Their dive boats were by far the best we saw on the island.

We too have been to Bonaire so we are familiar with the shore diving there. The majority of the "shore" diving is done in front of the resort you are staying at. It is NOT like Bonaire where you can just drive along the road and dive at the next yellow rock you see.

We just posted a trip report if you want more details! If you have any additional questions please don't hesitate to contact me directly.

I would say the principal difference is that the "walls" on Bonaire are quite "mini" whereas on Roatan they are REAL walls. I haven't been to Roatan for quite a while, but from previous trips, I would say also that there is more fish life on Bonaire.

Jeanne

parrotheaddiver:
I am sure RoatanMan aka Doc and Dee will fill in the holes.

CoCo View is the only resort that has great shore diving. FIBR borrows what CCV has and bit more of a hassle to do a shore dive from there.

The food is good at CCV. Doc can fill you in on any details. We are going in July and we went last July. IMO best resort on Roatan. :07:

Have never stayed at Inn of the Last Resort so can't comment.

Doc has been there for 2 weeks and is due to fly out in the morning. Hopefully he will post one last time this evening.

Any personal observations about the malaria situation on Roatan? BTW I dive in Spring Lake, San Marcos, very frequently. As often as I can get there. I love it.

Jeanne

Just got back last month from a trip to Roatan. First time there and we loved it. So much pristine area, it was quite refreashing after the last few trips to Cozumel.

We stayed at Paya Bay Resort on the east end. It was amazing! The view is spectacular and the resort staff took care of all our needs. Best food on the island in my opinion. It is farther out on the island from most stuff but that made it even better. We rented a car and went into the west end for a day. It was definitly nice to get back to Paya Bay at the end of the day though. Just too hot on the other end.

Diving was excellent. The amount of little things we saw is amazing. Plus they arranged a trip to the Pidgeon Keys for us. That too is a beautiful little place. We all laughed when we saw AKR driving out the next day with a boat of 30+ people. It just woudn't be the same out there with such a load of people. I just can't stand those cattle boat dives some places do.

It was nice to be in a smaller group of divers since we were able to stay down longer and everything was taken care of for us. I woould defintly stay at Paya Bay again. I don't think I could ever go back to being a number at one of those big cattle operations!

We are trying to plan our trip for next year though. Anybody have any recomendations on the best month to go out of the year?

I would like to encourage everyone to keep writing about your roatan experience before we go for our first in Oct. Round trip air from Houston just went to 514 so we jumped at it. As we are making our first trip with our LDS to CCV we like reading other opinions so please keep it coming. :dazzler1:

I have gone to BIBR for three years runnning and have loved it! The diving is excellent, the dive staff knowledgeable and helpful and the staff makes you truely feel at home. The People who dive at BIBR are usually very socialble so you can really enjoy getting to know them. Some-one asked about malaria, there are some malarial mossy's so if you are being careful it is good to take the pills. I did one year when I heard the outbreak was bad, I didn't this year because I hardly ever saw a mosquito. The thing that is less serious but far more annoying are the sand flies. You have to keep on strong bug spray anytime you are on the beach to avoid them. Their bite is not too bad but if you get enough to develop an alergic reaction you will be extremely itchy for at least a week. I was fine the first year and ignored them but my second year I developed a sensitivity and this year was taking benedryl to reduce the reaction. Don't want to scare someone off though if you keep the bug spray on you should be able to avoid the problem.

The diving I thought is very memorable. Last year we got up close and personal with a whale shark and this year it was a Manta Ray right off of the resort! I actually prefer the diving on the south side particularly on the tip of the island.

Karen Dancheck:
I have spent hours on scubaboard reading every bit I can about Roatan, but I still have a few questions:

Shore Diving: How does the shore diving compare to Bonaire? Would we rent a truck, park next to a "labeled rock" and walk in and dive? Or when you say "shore diving" is it mainly in front of your hotel?

Food: Dee and RoatanMan can probably answer this. I've seen posts from 2003 about people who have gotten sick at CCV. How is the food these days?

Inn of the Last Resort: Has anyone stayed here? My husband I are thinking about a trip next May. It's a long way off, but the best time to plan a trip is when you just got back from one! We were looking at both CCV and the Inn of Last Resort. Any suggestions? I haven't seee many posts about the Inn of the Last Resort. I did pick up some info from them at Beneath the Sea.

What to do? 2 weeks in Rotan or 1 week in Rotan and 1 week in Utila?

Thanks!
Karen

Just got back from Roatan. Stayed at CoCo View. The wall is very close. Short boat dives. Easy shore diving in front of the resort. No van needed at all. I thought the food was excellent. There is plenty, lots of variety, no problem with illness. The only problem I had was with no-see-ums. They didn't bother most of the divers in my group, but they ate me alive.

Jeanne

Back
Top Bottom