Liveaboards in Thailand Late aug to sept

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seabass

Reaction score
I am going to be in malaysia and thailand in late aug/early sept and was looking at liveaboards in Thailand. They all seem to operate from oct to april! Is August a bad season or something? Does anyone have recommendations for diving during this time in malaysia or in thailand?

August is monsoon season on the west coast of Thailand (Phuket, Similans). Lots of wind, lots of rain, lots of waves, little profit for liveaboards b/c too many people get seasick. More info in this thread.

For better conditions, look at sites in the Gulf of Thailand (Koh Samui, Ko Pha-Ngan, Koh Tao), or on the east coast of peninsula Malaysia (Perhentians, Redang, Tioman, Aur), or off Malaysian Borneo (Labuan, Layang-Layang, Sipadan).

Most of the diving in these areas is landbased rather than liveaboard. Is your heart set on a liveaboard trip?

Zept

No, I am not set on a liveaboard. I am really going to be based in Kuala Lumpur, should I just dive in Malaysia or is it worth it to go to Thailand?

I don't know much about diving in the Gulf of Thailand, but Keralucu and The Hamburger should be able to fill you in. I know Thailand is popular with the backpacker/party crowd... might be worth considering if you're looking for nightlife as well as diving.

I've heard good things about the Perhentians (see Neve's report) and Redang, but I haven't made it that far up the coast yet. From Singapore, it's easier to dive in Tioman and Aur. Tioman is a popular holiday destination, whereas Aur is only visited by divers.

Zept

SeaBass
I live just 2 hours south of Bangkok. We have diving trips year round. We have trips and courses going on everyday. There is nitrox, rebreathers, recreational and all technical courses available. There is a ship wreck that we dive on that is at 27 meters which we have see large turtles, stingrays and I seen one of the largest groupers at this wreck.

Bruce

SeaBass,

Head to Perhentian, Redang, Lang Tengah and there is this other island there which i could not remember the name. Those places are still good for diving during August. I believe if you head up to Phuket, you will be diving nearer to Phi Phi that side. As far as I know, almost no boats head towards the Similan Islands, Surin Islands during this time. Cheers...

It looks like we are going to dive phuket one day, sharks point one day and a wreck (not sure what it is) one day. Similans have bad weather this time of the year. Oh well.

Wreck is probably the King Cruiser, a ferry that went down a few years ago. Weather may not be brilliant, because you'll still be on the 'wrong' side of Thailand for that time of year -- although you may get lucky, and some of the sites around Phuket are sheltered from the worst of the winds. If you get seasick, pack your medication!

Zept

Hi Sea Bass,

I have done Similans during the good weather - it's pretty nice, but there's some really fab diving in Malaysian waters! if you're based in KL and have not experienced any diving in Perhentians, Redang or Lang Tengah, i would say it's a real pity. Some of my friends who did Similans were not overly impressed as they get equally good or even better standards of diving in Malaysian waters - and you're talking about cheaper prices too! Friends who have dived Phuket say that it's not as good as Similans, so you can get a rough idea on the type of diving you can expect to get....

BTW, August/Sept is the best time to dive Redang, Perhentian and Lang Tengah - you get good viz, good weather, fewer crowds (avoid the one week school hols tho!) and the jellyfish season is over.....

I went to redang last month - fantastic trip! Going up again this weekend, and another couple of weeks end of Sept/Oct. Trying to squeeze in a trip to Perhentians next month :D all i need to do is find some time to put together a trip report!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom