Liveaboards for people with seasickness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lunula

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I found out on our Caribbean cruise this past April that I experience seasickness on dive boats, something I never expected since I used to spend a lot of time on boats (on lakes) as a kid and adult, and taken numerous cruises (big & medium-sized, and a riverboat). But, there it is, I get sick on dive boats. After the 2nd bad experience on a dive boat, I got a few seasickness pills from the cruise ship and it helped tremendously. I still don't feel fantastic, but was able to complete all my remaining dives.

My question to others who experience seasickness and who've spent time on liveaboards - do you have issues? We are thinking of a liveaboard for our vacation next year, but I have concerns. I'd take medication, of course, but since I've never been on one before, I'm not sure if people who experience issues on those small dive boats typically have the same issues on larger (but still relatively small) liveaboards?

Like I said, even with medication, I didn't feel great. It was much better when I got down about 10 ft (except on the 2 occasions I tried to go down before taking medication, and had to call off my dives because I felt so junky). Perhaps a prescription would work better, but I won't have many opportunities to test out different medications/methods before next year when we'd like to go.

Just wondering if the liveaboards are "big enough" that people typically do not have issues, or if I'm just asking for trouble even considering it.

I found out on our Caribbean cruise this past April that I experience seasickness on dive boats, something I never expected since I used to spend a lot of time on boats (on lakes) as a kid and adult, and taken numerous cruises (big & medium-sized, and a riverboat). But, there it is, I get sick on dive boats. After the 2nd bad experience on a dive boat, I got a few seasickness pills from the cruise ship and it helped tremendously. I still don't feel fantastic, but was able to complete all my remaining dives.

My question to others who experience seasickness and who've spent time on liveaboards - do you have issues? We are thinking of a liveaboard for our vacation next year, but I have concerns. I'd take medication, of course, but since I've never been on one before, I'm not sure if people who experience issues on those small dive boats typically have the same issues on larger (but still relatively small) liveaboards?

Like I said, even with medication, I didn't feel great. It was much better when I got down about 10 ft (except on the 2 occasions I tried to go down before taking medication, and had to call off my dives because I felt so junky). Perhaps a prescription would work better, but I won't have many opportunities to test out different medications/methods before next year when we'd like to go.

Just wondering if the liveaboards are "big enough" that people typically do not have issues, or if I'm just asking for trouble even considering it.

I suffer terribly from seasickness on day dive boats and find marginal relief from products like Bonine. The problem for me is not as bad when the boat is in motion, but as soon as the boat gets attached to the mooring ball, I become the girl that "must get off the boat pronto!".

I've been on two liveaboard vacations and find that I can easily manage the symptoms using Bonine due to the larger size of the vessel. I'm much more comfortable on a liveaboard than a day boat and can't wait to go on my next LOB trip. You might inquire about getting a cabin more in the middle of the boat where the movements is less dramatic, as that has worked for me. There have been a few times that rougher weather has caused me to get a little woozy, but I just hang out in the salon (usually located toward the middle of the boat) and stare out at the horizon for a while and it usually passes.

In any situation where I'm on a boat, I let the crew know about my concerns and they are always helpful in ensuring I'm one of the first people in the water. Depending on the situation, they usually allow me to start my descent and hang out at 15 - 20 feet until my buddy can catch up. I also stay on top of my Bonine dosing, taking one morning, noon and night. Fortunately, it does not make me drowsy.

Maybe you could take a shorter LOB trip first to see how you do, versus jumping into a 7 - 10 day adventure. It could be a lonnnnng ride if you were to discover you couldn't handle it... Good luck!

Liveaboards are much more stabile than a day boat so you may not have any issues at all. You might want to try a multihull like the Aquacat as they are even more stabile than a monohull liveaboard.

+1 for the above recommendation. The big cats are stabler. Another to consider might be Cuan Law, it's about the biggest cat there is. They compare/contrast hull designs at the bottom of this page: Scuba Diving Live-aboard in the British Virgin Islands

Also consider where and when. For example, the Turks/Caicos boats are only in open water for a short time while they transit between Provo and West Caicos or French Cay where they typically moor near the island and are protected.

The Cayman Aggressor otoh sometimes cancels one or more of the Sister Islands because the crossing is too rough - typically in winter. You probably don't want to be on it when they try...

My guess is that the Kona Aggressor would be better in summer also - in winter Hawaii as a rule experiences rougher weather when the big waves roll in from the north. Although most of that trip goes south.

Also you don't want the Socorros, that's an all day rough crossing in good conditions. I believe Cocos is similar. Both are a long way from shore also. Same with MV Pearl - the Utila LOB in winter. They cross over to Roatan - sometimes north side diving there shuts down due to storms. Summer would be fine.

Rocio Del Mar does a Midriff Islands trip in summer that stays within the Sea of Cortez, my buddy was on it and didn't comment on it being rough - in fact a couple days he said the water was like glass. We dive in that area from dayboats and it's typically pretty calm.

You might stay off the 60' liveaboards/sailboats like Blackbeards, they get tossed around more since they're mono-hull and smaller.

My buddy used to get pretty sick on dayboats - occasionally still looks a little pale if it's rough. He's been on Rocio/Sea of Cortez and Turks/Caicos Explorer without any problems.

I'd also spend time comparing boat specifications. Many of the Aggressor boats have all the cabins one level below deck - often with just a porthole. So less optimal since you're closer to the water and it's harder to view the horizon. Probably the last thing you want to see if sick is a closer view of the swells.

ex:
T/C Explorer has most of their cabins on the main deck with large windows - 2 of them are above it on the sundeck. All have queen/2 twin bed options. Only their least expensive 3 cabins are belowdeck with bunks/portholes. All the T/C Aggressor cabins are below deck with bunks/portholes. Both boats run the same itinerary - we saw the Aggressor 3-4 times during the week at the next mooring.

Whatever boat you choose, ask which cabins are more stable. Usually that will be the ones in the middle.

Last edited:
Route and time of year will also have an impact. Cayman Aggressor is dead-flat calm, except for making the crossing to Little Cayman which can range from "a little bumpy" to "strap yourselves in, boys" depending on the time of the year. And even week to week.

Something to consider if you do the trips with a long crossing in rough weather is sleeping pills to knock yourself out for the crossing. Did that on a crossing from Cayman to Little Cayman - was fine, but woke up to find all my gear that was not on the floor at the beginning of the crossing on the floor in the morning. Works for me. Have not done a 24 hour crossing like Cocos however.

I have had mixed experiences with seasickness on livaboards; it is the rolling motion during the deep water crossings that gets to me.

So I didn't have any problems on the Kona Aggressor because because we flew to the Big Island, got on the boat and dived remote areas around the island - but we didn't do any deep water crossings. But I was really sick on the Carribbean Explorer during the crossing from St. Martin to Saba.

We've been on many livaboards and sometimes I get sick and other times I don't - it depends on the crossing. But I have found that if I eat light the day we board, avoid alcohol, and take seasick medication it usually isn't too bad. Lots of fresh air and staring at the horizon also helps.

And even if I do get sick, my body gets used to the motion after a day (because you are not getting on and off like on a day boat) and then I am fine, even if we do some deep water crossings later during the trip.

I love livaboards but seasickness is always a concern. We will soon be leaving for another livaboard dive vacation (T&C Aggressor) and I have heard that it usually not too bad, so I have my fingers crossed! I also requested a lower deck room in the center of the boat to help minimize the rolling motion.

I've been on the live aboard Tropic Dancer in Palau, which is a catamaran. All rooms were above the waterline, and with large square windows. I think I noticed it move a bit once, but otherwise it was very stable. Of course the seas were like glass, so that might have something to do with it also. The Palau Aggressor is exactly the same. My worst experience on a crossing was in Southern California coming back from Catalina Island when the ocean decided to pounce on us. We had 18ft swells, and practically everyone puked.

I've been on a boat that had sick passengers, over the side, in garbage pail, towels. Ew. Seeing that can be contagious. It was all I could do but managed. A few others that probably could have managed had they not seen the others yakking were not so lucky.

try to start the meds before you start feeling sick....usually the day before....I have a friend who cannot look at a boat without feeling ill...she manages it with a patch....but sometimes it comes off after numerous dives...just bring extras....once she gets her "sealegs" she is fine but still keeps the patch on for the duration of the trip

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom