Liveaboard vs Dive Resort for newbie divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks everyone for all the great advice.

I think I will postpone the liveaboard experience for a while and stick with shore based diving vacations until we are more competent. Will probably avoid Australia too, for COVID uncertainty.

Yes. Our Jamaica trip is a vacation first, with some diving. We're newly certified, so it will be our first diving in the Caribbean. I understand that Jamaica is generally considered a marginal diving destination. However, as new divers, I'm pretty sure we will find it fascinating. Cozumel will be our first actual "diving trip," where we're primarily diving. (I used your Cozumel trip reports and notes to plan our Cozumel trip.)

Jamaica then Coz is brilliant. You’ll be happy enough with what you see in Jamaica and then be comparatively wowed by Coz. My first trip was to the Great Barrier Reef way back when, and I swear nothing else can compare with that trip.

Later on, after diving in Caribbean, when Indonesia is open and before going to Raja Ampat, check out Bali first, specifically Tulamben. It’ll be an easy shore diving with a guide to show you cool colorful fishes, corals and critters that you would not see in Caribbean.

Another unique thing about diving in Tulamben, that you would not find anywhere else in the world, is how they bring your gears and tanks to the beach from your resort. After a long travel to get there, you may not feel like dragging your gears & tanks yourself. That’s the Balinese girl’s specific union job. The boy’s job is to guide you. The girl can put your gears strapped on a Scuba tank on her head. They are really good at it, trained all their life to carry things on their heads like acrobats. You’ll see them carrying things on their heads in just about everywhere in Bali.

You will understand why it is called Island of God.

I'm 40ish dives in, have done liveaboards and dive resorts - so was probably about 20 dives in on my first liveaboard - in the South Pacific. My liveaboard was, admittedly, in an area that was best suited to somebody with more experience, but oh well.

I didn't think there was anything intrinsic about either experience to make it more/less suited to newer divers. Both had just as many dives a day, experience levels were just as mixed (I wonder if experience levels are likely to change on cheap vs expensive liveaboards?)...on my liveaboard, at 30ish dives I was on of the more experienced OW divers in our little group.

In saying that, my 'dive resort' experience has been in ones relatively difficult to reach as well - I'm not talking about staying in a resort in a normal tourist area that happens to be a PADI resort; these are areas where the ONLY accommodation is a dive resort.

My first dives in the ocean where on a liveaboard in Hawaii the only other dives I had done where quarries in Wisconsin before that. I think it was a good choice for me.

Hi @ssssnake529

There are liveaboards and there are liveaboards.

I would not advise inexperienced divers go to the Red Sea, Cocos, Galapagos, or the Revillagigedos. However, the Cayman Islands is a fine itinerary for nearly anybody with reasonable dive skills Trip Report - Cayman Aggressor V, November 24-December 1, 2018 I would imagine that Bahamas, Belize, Roatan, Turks & Caicos, and other similar itineraries would also be suitable. A great way to get in a lot of diving without have to separately deal with accommodations, food, car...

An article (I think from an old DAN Alert Diver magazine way back) brought up a topic particularly relevant to newer divers...though the article author was an experienced diver! He went on a dive trip where he needed the set up his gear (i.e.: BCD on tank, reg. on, etc...)...and realized he was having trouble knowing how to do it!

Early on (and for some of us, not so early on), it can be difficult to retain not only an effective working knowledge of what to do (e.g.: which way to face the tank relative to you, whether your reg. 1st stage goes on with the post sticking up or down, remembering to hook up the low pressure inflator hose to your BCD), but the little 'tricks' to get your personal rig together properly (e.g.: to tighten my tank straps, I pull my strap back through one slot (only) of the buckle thing, then pull hard veering up and down, then re-thread that one slot...that lets me clamp that strap down very tight).

On a live-aboard, you'll set your gear up...once. After that, you'll disconnect your reg. 1st stage after a dive, and reconnect after they fill your tank in-place. The end for gearing up!

On some day boats staff set up gear and change tanks by default.

My point is, you could take a couple of dive trips/year for a few years and hardly ever set up your own tank. Then take a day boat trip with an operator who doesn't do all that, and find yourself watching another diver set his gear up (which doesn't look quite like yours). If you want to grow as a diver, be mindful this is an easy thing to miss.

On a live-aboard, you'll set your gear up...once. After that, you'll disconnect your reg. 1st stage after a dive, and reconnect after they fill your tank in-place. The end for gearing up!

On some day boats staff set up gear and change tanks by default.

My point is, you could take a couple of dive trips/year for a few years and hardly ever set up your own tank. Then take a day boat trip with an operator who doesn't do all that, and find yourself watching another diver set his gear up (which doesn't look quite like yours). If you want to grow as a diver, be mindful this is an easy thing to miss.

Very good point. Long long time ago, back in Utila, 2006, I let DM set my rig up and had a minor f*#kup underwater. He thought it would be safer to install my 1st stage (Scubapro MK25) upside down, so when I back rolled into the water, the back of my head would not hit the 1st stage. It's a good idea, but he needed to reroute the LP port of my 2nd stage hose to the right port too, because when the 1st stage was installed upside down, the 2nd stage hose would end up be coming out of the left LP port. Guess what happened when I was underwater? I could not turn my head to the left as my 2nd stage hose became too short. I kept pulling the hose with my mouth and ended up biting & ripping off my mouthbit.

The lesson I learnt from that is:
I carry a spare mouthbit and a tyrap eversince and set up my gear by myself.

In November 2020, my buddy and I had 15ish dives, only 2 "fun dives", the others training related.
And when I'm saying training, I mean we trained in the Black Sea, max depth 6m, one dive to get to 20m (mostly crawled on our knees to get there). Zero buoyancy control and trim capabilities.

Dives 15 to 35: we signed up for a Reefs&Wrecks liveaboard in the Red Sea (Emperor Divers). Best choice we ever made!

The group dive guide was amazing and taught me how to stay neutral: I simply copied his position UW. By the end of the week, I'd fall asleep at the safety stop, completely still. Had some current too, that was really nice to experience and learn how to properly fin.

We familiarized ourselves with our brand new gear, messed up some stuff and learned from it, debriefed each dive thoroughly and had TONS of fun doing it.

Dives 35 to 40: local pool, worked on finning, trim, skills. On our own.

Dives 40 to 60: In April we went to the Maldives (light to strong currents). Another great experience but we approached it with much more autonomy and confidence.

Bottomline: as a new diver, I would definitely recommend a liveaboard. Focus on improving, enjoy the predictable schedule and take this opportunity to relax and have fun. We return from these trips as if we were coming from a week at the spa.

Dives 15 to 35: we signed up for a Reefs&Wrecks liveaboard in the Red Sea (Emperor Divers). Best choice we ever made!
The group dive guide was amazing and taught me how to stay neutral: I simply copied his position UW. By the end of the week, I'd fall asleep at the safety stop, completely still. Had some current too, that was really nice to experience and learn how to properly fin.
We familiarized ourselves with our brand new gear, messed up some stuff and learned from it, debriefed each dive thoroughly and had TONS of fun doing it.
1. Did you not consider yourself very lucky on this trip?
2. What would happen if the guide has other divers to take care of or simply not interested on your lack of skill?
3. How about if there is NO dive guide provided? Happened to me in Great Barrier Reef. It did not bother me but how about beginner divers?
4. Have you tried negative entry in your early day of diving?

I have done fair number of LoB and would never recommend it to beginner diver. Because I have seen divers sitting out the dive because of unfavourable condition for them. Waste of money?

I have also met divers who could not handle rough sailing even on a day boat.

Back
Top Bottom