Liveaboard vs Dive Resort for newbie divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been on several Aggrssor trips out to Cocos and only found the current to be an issue on a couple of sites where you might have to pull down a mooring line. Often you're just hunkered down on the bottom in the rocks watching what comes by, and when it's time to leave you just let go and drift away to do your ascent and safety stop in the blue. It's not like you have to swim into a current to get back, as can happen with a moored boat in the Caribbean.

True. While we did not have to swim against a current to get back to Bahamas Aggressor one dive, the current was strong and we didn't pay close enough attention and surfaced several hundred feet from the boat. It was a lot of working getting back, although we could have easily signaled for them to come and get us. If it ever happens again I will do that. To heck with pride,

True. While we did not have to swim against a current to get back to Bahamas Aggressor one dive, the current was strong and we didn't pay close enough attention and surfaced several hundred feet from the boat. It was a lot of working getting back, although we could have easily signaled for them to come and get us. If it ever happens again I will do that. To heck with pride,
Surfacing away from the boat happens fairly common. That’s why you need to carry DSMB and deploy it at depth, the minute you realize that you get separated. Their dingy will follow your DSMB and would be waiting for you once you’re surfacing.

If they don’t see you after a few minutes at the surface and you’re too far way, just press the red button on the Nautilus Marine Rescue GPS, which they loan you during the trip for free. The Captain would radio the dingy pilot your GPS location and ask the pilot to come and get you. No need to swim towards the boat.

If no boat is seen in the horizon, then you can launch your big gun, i.e., PLB (Personal Locator Beacon), which is going to send signal that you are lost at sea directly to Search And Rescue (SAR) satellites monitored by NOAA worldwide.

Here are my signaling devices whenever I go Ocean diving:

46E75713-1854-41DE-B50F-44B60A567759.jpeg

EE730B1D-430E-4BD4-8DFD-0E3C0D0736F3.jpeg

F812E3FB-6BF4-47BC-B8C3-85F1C6BCB119.jpeg

Surfacing away from the boat happens fairly common. That’s why you need to carry DSMB and deploy it at depth, the minute you realize that you get separated. Their dingy will follow your DSMB and would be waiting for you once you’re surfacing.

If they don’t see you after a few minutes at the surface and you’re too far way, just press the red button on the Nautilus Marine Rescue GPS, which they loan you during the trip for free. The Captain would radio the dingy pilot your GPS location and ask the pilot to come and get you. No need to swim towards the boat.

If no boat is seen in the horizon, then you can launch your big gun, i.e., PLB (Personal Locator Beacon), which is going to send signal that you are lost at sea directly to Search And Rescue (SAR) satellites monitored by NOAA worldwide.

Here are my signaling devices whenever I go Ocean diving:

View attachment 669207
View attachment 669211
View attachment 669212

Thanks, yes we always carry SMB and my husband has the Nautilus. We could see the boat when we surfaced and decided to swim to it. We did it, but it was a lot of work! Like I said, if it happens again I will signal them to come get us. I also like your PLB haven't seen that before.

These are wonderful! Thanks for sharing them. I think I'm more convinced these dive trips may not be for me - like @markmud, I'm a pretty lazy diver. I think I will like muck diving if/when I get a chance to do it. I don't want to worry about down currents or having to hook something to the reef. But I love SEEING it, so it's fantastic that you - and others like you - are willing to take great pics and video! :)

Some of the easiest diving I've ever done because of diving off the Dhoni. That part I love.

Just do a giant stride off the side of the Dhoni :wink:

View attachment 669472

No Aggressor for me, my friend.

Otherwise, everything dhoni is alright with me!

No Aggressor for me, my friend.

Otherwise, everything dhoni is alright with me!
You must have bad experience with them. What did happen to you then?

3 Dhonis (Carpe Vita, Emperor Leo & Maldives Aggressor II) I have been on look about the same. My guide in Emperor Leo turned out to be the same guide from Maldives Aggressor II. What a small world we live in!

LOL. You must have bad experience with them.

3 Dhonis (Carpe Vita, Emperor Leo & Maldives Aggressor II) I have been on look about the same. My guide in Emperor Leo turned out to be the same guide from Maldives Aggressor II. What a small world we live in!

It's the company, not the boat, nor even the guides though certainly some are better than others.

I'm a big fan of Carpe Diem company, though I'm equally sure that I'd enjoy the Emperor Leo.

Is this really what is called a dhoni in the Maldives in 2021?

67526985-BABF-47C8-A0C7-8C70A0845E98.jpeg

Yikers. I’m coming back!

Is this really what is called a dhoni in the Maldives in 2021?

View attachment 669648

Yikers. I’m coming back!
Yes. It has gear station for all the guests to gear up, including air compressor down below deck. So, after dive briefing on the yacht, you just need to grab your camera and walk down to the dhoni to get ready for the dive. Your wetsuit will also be there hanging on the rack on back of the dhoni.

57B69293-0CB1-4E95-A8BB-6A0B90230B89.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom