liveaboard stranger roomies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

An update, My wifes sister has a friend with whom she has been diving with all over the world. The sister began having asthma problems and quit diving. My wife suggested we ask the friend if she wanted to go to Palau. Enthusiastic yes was the answer. So if I want her as a roomie it is ok. She will join the boat either way. I have the money just laying around so I'm leaning toward paying the extra. But nice to have options. Now I just have to find a buddy I can trust and has similar diving profile. I suspect the lady can stay down much longer than me. In tropical water my sac rate is about .45 - I don't want to shorten her dives.
As long as you don't mind separating for ascents and you're both decent divers, you shouldn't have any problems on the Palau Aggressor splitting up when you ascend early. The skiff will pick you up when you surface and your buddy can stay with the group until the hour is up. Alternatively, the reef at most sites extends nearly to the surface, so you may be able to follow the group when you run low on air by keeping shallower than the rest.

While it's normally a good idea to stay with the group in order for the skiff to make a more orderly pickup, sometimes stuff happens. When we were night diving Orange Beach off Peleliu, I blew through my tank in a half-hour trying to get a couple manually focused macro shots in a strong current. Somehow I got separated from the rest of the group when the current blew me in one direction and everyone else in the opposite direction. By the time I ascended, I was quite aways from the boat which was following the other divers' bubbles/lights, and the boat driver had his back turned so he couldn't see my lights on the surface waving at him. I almost used the Dive Alert, but he fortunately finally either saw my lights or heard my screams and came to get me before I drifted around the point and out to open ocean. If they're that capable of rounding up stray divers on a strong current night dive, you should have no worries about separating from your buddy on the standard daytime drift dives.

OMG, when I went on my one and so far only liveaboard trip I had a roomie that read at night until about three am, snored like a freight train, farted like a fog horn all night long and left his "short and curlies" all over the bathroom. But since I've been married to him for 34 years I guess I'm used to it!:D

Is it still a vacation if your "short and curlies" come with you?

Udate: my wifes friend bailed on the trip so I'm back to where I started except for some excellent suggestions. I'm going to get those custom earplugs, take my Q-15's and dive knife. I think I'll contact the Aggressor and see if they will keep my cabin "private" to the second last person then contact me and I'll pay the supplement. Backup plan is contact the Canadien scuba board member and see what he is thinking. Feb is getting closer. I'm already having trouble sleeping :)

Boat is nearly full, I just paid the single supplement. Better safe than sorry. I'm still getting the custom ear plugs and taking my sound canceling earphones. As I said, I'm a very light sleeper. But I have no trepidation about a ruined trip. Its all good now.

Try singledivers.com. They pair up roomates and do an EXTENSIVE pre-matching questionnaire that asks about things like snoring and whether you are a night owl or early riser. I went on a trip with them a few years back (it is for buddyless divers; it is NOT a singles dating service) and it was terrific -- good divers, good company and my roomate and I got along fine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom