Liveaboard specific check list.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gassed

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hello all,
My wife and I have been going on dive trips for many years now. We have it down to a science. We do not show up and think, "I forgot to pack........".
That said we have finally bit the bullet and are going on our first Liveaboard trip next summer. My question is, when packing for a liveaboard trip is there anything specific that we should include that you don't pack on a land based trip?
I have thought it through and cant think of anything so I want to reach out to the liveabaord veterans.
Thanks!

I usually bring a surge protected power strip but ask first if it's allowed, some boats don't like them (or chargers) plugged in unattended while you're out diving.

As others mentioned, less clothes. I do most of the week in 3-4 pairs of microfiber boardshorts and t-shirts. The only change might be right b4 lunch after the 2nd dive since they prefer you not wet up the furniture.

Depending on the boat/drying arrangements you may want to bring some line or some sort of clips to keep your wet stuff from blowing overboard - one boat I was on drying was encouraged on the top deck - they provided hangars.

Someone on a boat once had a small pair of powered speakers for his ipod that we put to daily use in an outdoor lounge area. I'll probably bring mine on future trips.

Liveaboards are louder than you'd think, often there's a pump going somewhere plus the engines. Depending on where your cabin is located determines how much you'll hear. The wood boats creak also. I've been on a steel boat where you could hear people walking on deck upstairs. I often sleep outside on an upper deck or with earbuds. Mine seal pretty well so not always even with music.

One pair of shoes is enough, on many you surrender them as you board and they're returned only for shore excursions or when you depart - the captains don't like scuffs on the brightwork.

Any snacks or alcohol you may like that they won't stock. Some offer the option to swing by a food/liquor store if possible on the ride to the boat - the ones I've been on there was nothing near the dock except other boats.

Last edited:
Take a small 'save a dive' pack. Fin strap, spare mask etc.

There's no dive shop nearby on a lob!

Most stuff is what you should already be bringing..Some of it depends on what part of the world you are traveling to!
Seasick Meds (even if you don't get seasick)
Any Meds you might need if you get sick since you are on a boat...
Earplugs/ headphones
Save a dive kit -
clamps for securing stuff at station
small dry bag (go bag in case of emergency)for your money and passports... I keep a pair of reading glasses and a waterproof flashlight in this as well.
A backpack or sling dry bag for excursions to keep cameras protected. Ziplocks work well for this if you have small cameras.
1 sweatshirt because boats always have AC on and it gets cold in evenings
I like to have a small hair towel because I have long hair
Bring a flash drive, or SD card for getting pictures from other guests.

For your wife make sure she brings approx 4 bathing suits so that she can change after each dive. Boats do not want people sitting on their seats with wet bathing suits. I just got back from a LOB where there were some avid day boat people and they stayed in their wet suits all day. I thought the Cruise Director was going to lose her mind every time she saw a wet spot on the seats. Also tell her to bring a sarong for walking to and from room with bathing suit on before and after the dive. It also serves as a towel if needed, since some boats do not let you take dive towels to your room!

A suitcase that is not hard sided so that it is easy to store.

I can send you my check list if you would like? We take a ton of camera gear so we take very minimal clothing!

In reality, nothing save a waterproof sac to put the essentials in, in case you have to abandon ship. Some ships will collect passports and do that.

As for being board, my SOP after a dive is camera in the rinse tank, wet suit off, into a fresh water rinse, dry off, suit off, dry shorts on. Even if the next dive is in an hour. Literally rinse and repeat.

Also if you have a camera have it ready to go. Or need extra time suiting up be at your station once the briefing is over. I just got off a LOB where the diving was from a dingy. Camera boy was always holding up the group for one reason or another. Screwing around with his camera getting his wet suit on, etc. fortunately he was rarely part of my group but when he was we literally yelled at him to get his **** together as he's was holding everyone up. Even the cruise drirector who was his group's dive guide gave him grief. Do not be that guy.

Some great feedback here. Thanks to all.
It looks like the dry bag is the only thing I am missing at this point. Think we are good in all other categories.
I am a camera guy but do everything I can to not be "that guy". Usually the first in and last out and in most cases find my own subjects. If I do shoot a guide find I wait till everyone has had their fill and then move in.
I was surprised of the music speaker comment. I never inflict my choice of music on innocent bystanders, even in my car with windows down. For that reason I get a bit irritated when some decides to "share" there tunes with everyone. With music being such a divining rod for people I am surprised that did not cause some tension between people. I will have to leave that one out and stick with earbuds.
As to the shoes. Usually just take the ones I fly with. But I tend to wear my booties (don't do carrib fins) all week and have the sexy "sock tan" to prove it. Sounds like that maybe an issue?
Thanks again!

The music thing is a tricky one... just got back from a trip where they played reggae for 2 days straight. I love reggae but only so much can be handled! We all just wanted to enjoy the sounds of nature! Reggae still wasn't as bad as the trip I went on with a German group... they played techno... :facepalm: Of course after a few beers they also made great use of the pole in the middle of the dining area on the siren boat! :yeahbaby:(couldn't find the pole dancing emoji)

Most boats have a speaker system so I would not bother bringing it unless you need music in your room beyond what your cell phone puts out. I would say that unless you are with a whole group of friends it may not be appreciated by all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom