Liveaboard Nitrox surcharges - Time for this to go...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd like to point out that the above poster, Wookie, who runs the Spree, includes Nitrox for free on his liveaboard. :thumb:

As a marketing and finance guy I'd like to point out that there is a tremendous difference between "free" and "already factored into the price."

:cool2:

Nothing is free.

As a marketing and finance guy I'd like to point out that there is a tremendous difference between "free" and "already factored into the price."

:cool2:

Nothing is free.

You are correct, marketing guy. Free is when you pay nothing and I still fill your tanks. So, when you come to Key West and dive with another dive operator, and you come to me for your nitrox fills, even 50%, 70%, or 100%, you will still get those fills (assuming I am in port) at no charge. I believe that all mixtures of oxygen and nitrogen are there to make diving safer. So I do it for free. At no charge. When we're out on the boat, nitrox is included in the trip price. At that point it isn't free anymore, but included in the cost of the trip. If you don't believe, ask Carriesal, Texastorpedo, or oceanus.

You are correct, marketing guy. Free is when you pay nothing and I still fill your tanks. So, when you come to Key West and dive with another dive operator, and you come to me for your nitrox fills, even 50%, 70%, or 100%, you will still get those fills (assuming I am in port) at no charge. I believe that all mixtures of oxygen and nitrogen are there to make diving safer. So I do it for free. At no charge. When we're out on the boat, nitrox is included in the trip price. At that point it isn't free anymore, but included in the cost of the trip. If you don't believe, ask Carriesal, Texastorpedo, or oceanus.

Nice!

Way reduces the incidence of bends. I averaged 8 cases per year when I charged for nitrox. Since I made nitrox available at no charge, no bends. I'm a believer.

I dont see a problem if a liveaboard charges for EAN. Since you as a guest have the choice to dive with or without EAN and you have been informed before hand over the extra cost. If you plan to dive the whole week on EAN just take the calculater and add it to the trip price and you see if its a good deal.
I have been on boat where you have to pay for EAN (in Egypt) and now I am working on a boat where EAN is for free (asia).

Two things:
1) while yes, you can dive all recreational depths with nitrox, assuming there's EAN26 available, not all divers are nitrox certified, so air isn't going to be gone as a diving gas any time soon(a few years after nitrox is included in OW course... which I doubt will happen any time soon, if ever).

2) 5 dives a day, several days in a row, exclusively on nitrox would have me worrying about pulmonary oxytox. I'd rather do 2 nitrox dives and 3 air dives per day(one of the air dives being the night dive). Probably doing air-air-nitrox-nitrox-air(might switch it around if the morning dives aren't deep).

2) 5 dives a day, several days in a row, exclusively on nitrox would have me worrying about pulmonary oxytox. I'd rather do 2 nitrox dives and 3 air dives per day(one of the air dives being the night dive). Probably doing air-air-nitrox-nitrox-air(might switch it around if the morning dives aren't deep)

Hard to get even close to 02 limits unless you're doing five long DECO dives a day. I do five dives a day for a week or two at time when traveling on dive trips and never even came close. Even in Truk where I did 4-5 deep dives on 28-24% with varying degrees of deco for 17 days straight I didn't come anywhere close to 02 limits.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom