Liveaboard Mask Redundancy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Liveaboard or not, I always carry a spare dive mask. Anything can happen and for me, I require a very specific mask/fit to not have leaks (I'm Asian...my nose/bridge and cheeks are the problem) so it is a necessity. Most of my diving is vacation diving for 2-4 weeks at a time and not being able to source another mask is not an option. On a liveaboard, even more so. I ensure that both travel within a hard case. One is carried on and the other is checked. The spare is already scrubbed and ready to go at a moment's notice, including the straps being perfectly adjusted.

In your case, I would definitely set up some prescription in them or at the very least have contacts or something that you can use with them.

I have seen masks break, I have seen people lose them.

Lenses have been ordered so I'll have a duplicate ready to go.

Between the first time I ordered the mask and this time, the hard case is no longer included. :( I have the hard case from the broken mask, so no issues with protecting this new mask for the road.

Prescription inserts? Is that another pair of Rx lenses or something else? I've heard of inserts for reading, but not for corrective.

I've met another diver who had rigged his own setup, putting lenses he pulled from an old pair of glasses into the mask. It was clever and functional, but not very elegant.
They were in a $5 clearance box at the LDS and were my reader prescription. I have heard mixed reviews of how good they are (they tend to float out). But it gives me the possibility of using a borrowed mask.
Dive Optx mask magnifiers (pair) for scuba and snorkeling masks and goggles

When I was much younger and a broke university student I cut the arms off an old pair of glasses so they were about an inch long and wore them inside my mask. (Before contacts were inexpensive). Worked but not recommended.

Instead of just buying an extra mask strap, I bought another mask, same brand and model as my current one. I'm wondering if this is enough. I have a replacement for every part of the mask... almost. Since I wear prescription lenses, should I get prescription lenses for this pair too?
Sure, why not? You have purchased a second mask - for YOU. It should be fully functional as a back-up.
divinh:
For a liveaboard situation, how much redundancy should one have for dive masks? Is breakage the issue or losing the mask completely?
Both (breakage, and losing the mask) are issues, on a live-aboard (where you can't just walk over to the local shop and buy another one). I know (lots of) people who have done multiple live-aboard trips, successfully, without a backup mask, or mask strap etc. But, I personally wouldn't want to be the diver to break that string. :) Taking a backup mask, AND a spare mask strap (which is generally inexpensive) is a reasonable plan. (I have NEVER broken a mask strap in my years of diving, but there is always a first time.) If you lose (or render unusable) TWO masks in a single week, I guess you should consider it as a strong indicator, and sit back and enjoy the cuisine (and the stories from other divers on the boat) for the rest of the week. :)

I have sewn a broken mask strap back together with zip-ties. I keep some in my BC as well. I have repaired two broken fin buckles undewater.

Dinih,
You may want to check if your old mask lenses would fit a newer mask. I think the ones in my old Sherwood mask would work in my newer Tusa mask.

You may want to check if your old mask lenses would fit a newer mask. I think the ones in my old Sherwood mask would work in my newer Tusa mask.

I have assembled two Cressi Focus masks at this point. My old mask is by Hilco, model Devil. It's at least six years old and Hilco doesn't seem to be making diving masks anymore, just swim goggles. I've yet to find anywhere online that sells this mask, like old stock. Other than the lenses, only the strap is recoverable. The frame is broken in too many places to repair, if that were even possible.

I have seen some masks that look "similar", but it's hard to know for sure. I haven't invested too much time into looking for similar.

I just thought of this from your reply. I wonder if one of the prescription mask suppliers would be able to tell you if your old mask lenses might work in a current model?

Huh. That's an interesting avenue to pursue... I'll give it a shot! Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom