Liveaboard Mask Redundancy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divinh

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've seen mask straps included in Save-A-Dive kits, but not much else as far as mask parts.

I'm signed up for a liveaboard in Komodo. Instead of just buying an extra mask strap, I bought another mask, same brand and model as my current one. I'm wondering if this is enough. I have a replacement for every part of the mask... almost. Since I wear prescription lenses, should I get prescription lenses for this pair too?

For a liveaboard situation, how much redundancy should one have for dive masks? Is breakage the issue or losing the mask completely?

For a liveaboard, I bring along a spare mask. I carry one mask with me in my carry-on bag along with my dive computer and other things that might be annoying to have to rent or borrow. I carry another mask in my checked bag. Loss in transit by the airline is one concern, and having a mask with me in my carry-on addresses that. I think breakage in transit or on the boat is less likely, as I keep the mask in a rigid mask box.

If I wore Rx lenses, I suppose my spare mask would have Rx lenses. I wear contact lenses for diving, but usually switch to glasses for comfort in the evenings. Whenever I travel--liveaboard or otherwise--I bring two pairs of eyeglasses and LOTS of spare contact lenses.

I do exactly as Lorenzoid does. Two masks - one in carry on one with my camera gear. Lots of contacts and spare glasses.

I have had to use the backup mask three times now. One as a loaner to someone who broke theirs, one that I lost doing a backroll into VERY deep water, and the third when my primary broke.

Most liveaboards will have a spare mask strap - Last one sold me a new mask that replaced my primary at a reasonable price as I was going on to more diving and always like to have two.

I carry my normal contacts as well as a pair that give me monovision underwater (dominant eye - 2.0 from normal and other eye normal or -1.0) the -2.0 is the same as my reading glasses so I can see small things - the other for medium distance as I don't really need to see with crystal clarity far distance as you rarely can underwater. I adjust for conditions and what I plan to do on the dive. i.e. a shark or manta dive I may just go with normal contacts for the dive.

Mask is very personal because no mask fits everyone.
Two masks + spare strap in any trip especially LoB. Some divers actually carry a spare mask during the dive.
And I dive with two computers.

I originally carried my first Rx dive mask in a hard case at the bottom of my travel backpack and thankfully the bag didn't get lost. As I wised up, I carried it in one of my carry-ons. However, I made the fatal mistake of leaving it in the gear bag at a dive shop I was doing multiple dives with, but without putting it in the hard case. It eventually got weakened and one lens imploded on a descent; not forcefully though, just a rush of water. I had a feeling it was going to happen so had the DM carry a spare for the dive and I swapped into that and continued the dive. The dive shop luckily had two spare Rx masks and one of them was close enough for me to finish my dives with them.

Since that time, I've carried my Rx mask in carry-on only, never left it in a gear bag (with or without hard case), and taken the mask with me at the end of each dive day.

For corrective vision, I've never worn contacts, so I usually have three pairs besides the one I'm wearing - travel backpack, carry-on, and camera bag.

From these responses, I'm going to spend the money to add the Rx prescription. Thanks for the input, especially regarding the "losing one in a backroll" situation - that requires a full replacement, not just parts, and I fully expect there will be some backroll's...

I'm also looking into getting a second duplicate dive computer.

Assuming that you have both the room in your luggage and the room in your luggage's weight limit, it is a good idea. I however would not recommend spending any money on a new mask. What I do (I wear corrective lenses as well) is I will carry my current mask (with my current prescription in it) in my carry-on. I will also bring my mask with my last prescription (which although not perfect will not be too bad) in my checked luggage (wrapped up in my wetsuit for padding/protection).

This gives me a spare without requiring me to buy a new mask. It is not a perfect solution, but as far as I am concerned, it is the 95% solution and that is close enough for me. (As with any advice, YMMV.)

I happen to have two masks with my prescription and I am taking them with me on vacation. In my save a dive kit I have a set of prescription inserts.

Liveaboard or not, I always carry a spare dive mask. Anything can happen and for me, I require a very specific mask/fit to not have leaks (I'm Asian...my nose/bridge and cheeks are the problem) so it is a necessity. Most of my diving is vacation diving for 2-4 weeks at a time and not being able to source another mask is not an option. On a liveaboard, even more so. I ensure that both travel within a hard case. One is carried on and the other is checked. The spare is already scrubbed and ready to go at a moment's notice, including the straps being perfectly adjusted.

In your case, I would definitely set up some prescription in them or at the very least have contacts or something that you can use with them.

I have seen masks break, I have seen people lose them.

Assuming that you have both the room in your luggage and the room in your luggage's weight limit, it is a good idea. I however would not recommend spending any money on a new mask. What I do (I wear corrective lenses as well) is I will carry my current mask (with my current prescription in it) in my carry-on. I will also bring my mask with my last prescription (which although not perfect will not be too bad) in my checked luggage (wrapped up in my wetsuit for padding/protection).

This gives me a spare without requiring me to buy a new mask. It is not a perfect solution, but as far as I am concerned, it is the 95% solution and that is close enough for me. (As with any advice, YMMV.)

I only have one working pair. The old mask broke and is no longer made nor available anywhere. I would definitely have used an old pair as a backup had that been an option.

I happen to have two masks with my prescription and I am taking them with me on vacation. In my save a dive kit I have a set of prescription inserts.

Prescription inserts? Is that another pair of Rx lenses or something else? I've heard of inserts for reading, but not for corrective.

I've met another diver who had rigged his own setup, putting lenses he pulled from an old pair of glasses into the mask. It was clever and functional, but not very elegant.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom