Liveaboard for beginner

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

teiiiiim

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Hi guys, i live in Australia and am in the process of completing my open water and looking to do advanced open water. i want to go on a live aboard pretty much ASAP. Im really interested in reefs and especially in anemones. i also want to see large schools or animals like sharks and whales. I don't care much for other activities or the living spaces i primarily want quality diving. could people please give me some suggestions as to where to go?

The Taka out of Cairns was my very first liveaboard 20 years ago. They are still around, and still in the same market. They are a kind of backpackers holiday, less than a full week so if you decide you don't like liveaboard, you can figure it out before you spend a ton of money and a week of your life.

I'm very sorry about that. Well, I've spent a very pleasurable week on a Mike Ball boat, although the last one I was on is no longer in service, I'm sure that the high level of professionalism extends to the boats still operating. There is also the Spirit of Freedom. They run shorter trips, but I have not been on the boat, so can't advise you.

In Australia, have a look at Mike Ball Expeditions. they have trips to Ribbon Reefs and the Coral Sea on Spoilsport or Spirit of Freedom. June- July is the best time to see minke whales, other marine life includes reef sharks, turtles, huge potato cod but also some small critters too.

You could also try Tubbataha in the Philippines. The diving is not too challenging for a relative beginner, some currents and plenty of steep walls with no bottom reference but good action with pelagics and lovely corals. Siren Fleet have a few spaces this season but you could also look at Ona Experience or Solitude which might suit your budget better.

I've been on the Spirit twice, both times as an inexperienced diver, they looked after me very well indeed. Lovely boat and crew.

I used Deep Sea Divers Den out of Cairns, I was on Taka and Ocean Quest. Ocean quest stays in the Outer Reef and Taka was used for the Ribbon Reefs. Ocean quest can be 1-7 nights or more so its a decent option if you want to spend a few nights then go to land then go back out for another few nights. Almost all the boats go to relatively the same spots on the Outer Reef, pick one that matches your budget and accommodation level ! I was there in November 2015 and loved every second of it

I've been on the Spirit twice, both times as an inexperienced diver, they looked after me very well indeed. Lovely boat and crew.

I'm so glad you shared this with us. I'm inexperienced as well (40 dives, AOW and Nitrox, trying to pursue Rescue in the next 2 months). I booked with Spirit of Freedom in October and am really looking forward to it. I'm going alone with no DB--I'm sure I'll be paired up--but I was worried about the experience level compared to others on a LOB.

Thanks for sharing!

I'm so glad you shared this with us. I'm inexperienced as well (40 dives, AOW and Nitrox, trying to pursue Rescue in the next 2 months). I booked with Spirit of Freedom in October and am really looking forward to it. I'm going alone with no DB--I'm sure I'll be paired up--but I was worried about the experience level compared to others on a LOB.

Thanks for sharing!

:) I had about 9 dives first time I went and 35 the second time and both times travelled alone with no db. You'll have a great time!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom