Liveaboard departing Ao Nang/Krabi - January

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi,

We are spending just 10 days in the Thai Islands, current plan in 6 days in Ao Nang doing day trips to the islands etc, then we would like to do a 2 night liveaboard followed by a few nights in Phuket. Due to time constraints we would prefer to be able to go direct from Ao nang/Krabi, do many companys go from here and can you recommend any companys? Or should we consider getting the ferry to Phuket and connect with a Liveaboard there?

We would have loved to do the Similan Islands but again due to time I think this might not be an option, where would you suggest as the best location for two fairly new open water divers? Phi Phi?

Thank you very much

Check out Koh Lanta - easy access to dive sites at Phi Phi, Koh Ha and Hin Daeng/Hin Muang. There is also a liveaboard company on the island, and it's just a short drive from Krabi...

If I were you I would have another look at your plans.

If you want to dive Similans, Phuket or even better Khao lak would be a much better choice. Liveaboard or short overnight trip certainly would be possible.

You have a few options in Ao Nang/Krabi when it comes to day trips. For open water divers, I would suggest day trips to Phi Phi Islands, Koh Haa Yai, Ao Nang/local islands and if you consider to do your advance course, a trip to the KIng Cruiser Wreck which also include Shark Point and Anemone Reef. This gives you 3 - 4 days of diving.

Some dive centers do 3 dives a day while others only do 2 dives. The prices are different, but so are the dive boats and what else you get. Some dive centers don't have their own boat which really isn't an issue. When it comes to the local islands, some dive centers will use a long tails boat for diving. Just make sure they meet all safety standards (like bringing oxygen with them). I personally don't like diving from a long tail but others do.

Dive centers in Ao Nang I would recommend is (my personal opnion):

Kon-Tiki Krabi
Poseidon
Scuba Addicts
Aqua Vision

After Ao Nang, I would take a taxi to Khao Lak. You have many more options, when it comes to liveaboard operators comparing to Phuket and your price would be a bit cheaper. You save money for the ferry between Phuket and Ao Nang, and time for your transfer from/to your hotel to the liveaboard (1 1/2 - 2 hours between Phuket and Khao Lak). For shorter trips, like 2 days, I would recommend the following operators:

Similan Seven Seas
Khao Lak Scuba Adventure
Oktavia

Stay in Khao Lak if you like it or ask the dive center to arrange transport to Phuket. In Phuket I would stay in Kata which have a nice beach and good restaurants. However! If you are in for a big party, then Patong would be your thing. You can PM me for more details.

Enjoy your trip

Michael

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom