Liveaboard Covid quarantine- Debate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
dianna912

dianna912

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Assuming that they are not in a locality that requires it, should liveaboards require guests who test positive to quarantine?

We just got back from a highly infectious liveaboard that DID have this requirement. With at least 70% of the guests infected, welp, it's safe to say it didn't work.

My thought process is this: unless you require an extremely harsh, any symptoms=quarantine type of policy, which is untenable on a dive boat. (Congestion/ear issues/fatigue/achiness are all symptoms of a long dive day) you will never stop it before it has already spread. I understand that boats want to protect their crew, but quarantining guests is just a feel-good measure to allow everyone to carry on as usual, except of the souls locked in a tiny room. This is what happened on our boat. No changes to anything were made until we started dropping like flies. The first couple that had it just got stuck in their room, while the crew did not mask around the other guests, everyone still ate in the same closed galley (except the quarantined couple) and it was all for absolutely nothing.

When we boarded the Juliet last March and they said: if one of us has it, all of us will, I thought they were being irresponsible. Now, I'm thinking they are correct.

My opinion: either take the "let er rip" strategy of the Juliet or have a policy that completely changes protocols, for everyone, the moment someone tests positive. No congregating in closed spaces, masks on all staff and guests when not eating, etc, etc.

I travel with insurance that will cover getting sick and it would be an extra week that i wont have to work.
That’s time taken out of my PTO, else UTO.

This boat didn't have a vax requirement, but everyone was vaccinated. Everyone also had to test negative before coming on board. I've checked in with others on the boat, and it sounds like we were likely at closer to 85-90% positivity rate despite those measures. Unfortunately, I think we really are just accepting the risk, unfortunately.

The answer is plain simple but you still don't get it.
I understand just fine, however it seems possible with your response that maybe you have misunderstood what I said. If my statement has bothered you, that was not my intent.

I made my decision. Period.
So you would rather get serious ill or even death than vaccination! Your choice NOT mine.

I'm not here debating if you or anyone else should get a vaccination or not. It is wonderful that when you get covid and if you had a high probability of getting seriously sick and/or dying that your risk is lower than it was.

Dragging this thread up as I have been on a few cruises lately.

One cruise line (now part of the Royal Caribbean family) has created a demarcated do not enter quarantine zone on their ships. I saw this on 2 different types of ships.

We also observed in-room quarantined passengers, not in the closed off quarantine section. Meals were delivered in disposable containers, linens and garbage came out of the room in sealed plastic bags.

No idea when the passengers got quarantined in-room. Everyone required a negative covid test and proof of vaccination prior to boarding. Maybe they were negative but then displayed symptoms a few days later? Or maybe they were onboard from a prior cruise segment?

There have been a number of changes recently to the testing requirements of some big cruise lines. In mid. July, we had to get tested 2 days prior to departure, and have it proctored (paid a service to watch me do the tests via video conferencing), in order to get on. We're all fully vaccinated.

I think that requirement has ended for fully vaccinated cruisers in the U.S. (where we are). Here's from their webpage from today:
"For All Sailings Departing on or after September 5, 2022 from U.S. Homeports with No Stops in Bermuda or Canada

If your cruise visits Bermuda or Canada, test protocols for your cruise are in the next section.
Guests 5 years of age and older who are not fully vaccinated must bring a negative test result for a COVID-19 antigen or PCR test taken within the 3 days before boarding day, regardless of the duration of their cruise.
Fully vaccinated guests 5 years of age and older must bring a negative test result for a COVID-19 antigen or PCR test taken within the 3 days before boarding day on sailings that are 10 nights or longer only. Testing is not required for fully vaccinated guests on shorter itineraries.
Guests younger than 5 do not have any testing requirements.
Required testing for all guests, regardless of vaccination status, can be completed using any type of PCR or antigen test. It can be professionally proctored by a healthcare professional, such as your doctor or pharmacist, or you can use a home test kit. Home test kits are not required to be conducted under live video supervision.
Tests must be arranged on your own and are at your own expense."

There have been a number of changes recently to the testing requirements of some big cruise lines. In mid. July, we had to get tested 2 days prior to departure, and have it proctored (paid a service to watch me do the tests via video conferencing), in order to get on. We're all fully vaccinated.

I think that requirement has ended for fully vaccinated cruisers in the U.S. (where we are). Here's from their webpage from today:
"For All Sailings Departing on or after September 5, 2022 from U.S. Homeports with No Stops in Bermuda or Canada

If your cruise visits Bermuda or Canada, test protocols for your cruise are in the next section.
Guests 5 years of age and older who are not fully vaccinated must bring a negative test result for a COVID-19 antigen or PCR test taken within the 3 days before boarding day, regardless of the duration of their cruise.
Fully vaccinated guests 5 years of age and older must bring a negative test result for a COVID-19 antigen or PCR test taken within the 3 days before boarding day on sailings that are 10 nights or longer only. Testing is not required for fully vaccinated guests on shorter itineraries.
Guests younger than 5 do not have any testing requirements.
Required testing for all guests, regardless of vaccination status, can be completed using any type of PCR or antigen test. It can be professionally proctored by a healthcare professional, such as your doctor or pharmacist, or you can use a home test kit. Home test kits are not required to be conducted under live video supervision.
Tests must be arranged on your own and are at your own expense."
Canada has not changed their cruise ship covid protocols. So be prepared to continue to require testing if you cruise northwards.

Due to the following US law, foreign owned Alaskan cruise ships must visit a foreign port (Vancouver).

Alaska did pass a law to get around the foreign port thing but it is basically just grandstand hand waving as cruise ship itineraries are planned many (3 or more) years in advance. They are a logistical nightmare with no flexibility. The ships are forced to visit Vancouver.

The cruise ship I am currently on is going out of service until January since it was scheduled to next sail in areas that are mostly still closed to cruise traffic. So it will sit idle for 3 1/2 months and resume operation in Sydney Australia.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom