Liveaboard Covid quarantine- Debate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
dianna912

dianna912

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Assuming that they are not in a locality that requires it, should liveaboards require guests who test positive to quarantine?

We just got back from a highly infectious liveaboard that DID have this requirement. With at least 70% of the guests infected, welp, it's safe to say it didn't work.

My thought process is this: unless you require an extremely harsh, any symptoms=quarantine type of policy, which is untenable on a dive boat. (Congestion/ear issues/fatigue/achiness are all symptoms of a long dive day) you will never stop it before it has already spread. I understand that boats want to protect their crew, but quarantining guests is just a feel-good measure to allow everyone to carry on as usual, except of the souls locked in a tiny room. This is what happened on our boat. No changes to anything were made until we started dropping like flies. The first couple that had it just got stuck in their room, while the crew did not mask around the other guests, everyone still ate in the same closed galley (except the quarantined couple) and it was all for absolutely nothing.

When we boarded the Juliet last March and they said: if one of us has it, all of us will, I thought they were being irresponsible. Now, I'm thinking they are correct.

My opinion: either take the "let er rip" strategy of the Juliet or have a policy that completely changes protocols, for everyone, the moment someone tests positive. No congregating in closed spaces, masks on all staff and guests when not eating, etc, etc.

No good will come of this thread. I predict it will quickly become a forum for extreme views on all sides and probably a few conspiracy theories, too. Sigh.

No good will come of this thread. I predict it will quickly become a forum for extreme views on all sides and probably a few conspiracy theories, too. Sigh.
Let me help: I think the mask and vaccine should be mandatory on a liveaboard 😂

Let me help: I think the mask and vaccine should be mandatory on a liveaboard 😂
The point of the vaccine is to protect the vaccinated person; it apparently has little to no effect on preventing one from being infected or infecting others, but it evidently has a massive impact on whether the vaccinated person gets seriously ill or not. The masks mitigate some transmission of the virus, both directions, but are imperfect solutions; they help, but are not silver bullets. Social distancing helps, but is rather difficult on a liveaboard. Good ventilation is even better than social distancing, but is also problematic on a boat, if you want to eat, sleep, stay dry, etc.

Daily antigen testing can find a positive case even if asymptomatic. I believe in this testing. The issue then is, what to do if someone tests positive?

So why ask for passengers to be vaccinated? Because it lessens the chance that the trip has to be cut short to get someone to a hospital.

Why asks for masks? it lessens the chance of infecting or being infected.

It is a spectrum from "do nothing and vaccinations are useless" to "do everything possible, including vaccinations, boosters, double-masks, eating alone, windows always open, etc. Neither extreme is reasonable, but there is no sweet spot. Each person has their biases and risk-tolerance. Requiring vaccinations is easy to implement, proven to be effective in lessening the consequences of the virus, and is better than doing nothing.

The problem of managing an infection is difficult. Isolation on a dive boat is tough. Masks plus distancing, in areas that are well-ventillated, is better than doing nothing. Yes, it will probably spread to everyone...hence the need for all to be vaccinated. Trying to nip the contagion in the bud when it is pervasive and exponential is a fantasy, even with daily testing, but daily testing is better than waiting for symptoms.

So, on the spectrum from do nothing (call this zero) to do everything possible (call this 10), I'm about a 6, with that including vaccinations for all, and masks=distancing+ ventilation for those with symptoms or who test positive or daily tests.

It may be informative to read up on what cruise ships are doing?

It may be informative to read up on what cruise ships are doing?

Google "Healthy Sail Panel"...

The Healthy Sail Panel, a group of globally recognized experts assembled by Royal Caribbean Group and Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd., has concluded cruising can be safer in the current health environment with a robust set of science-backed protocols. Through research and their relevant experience in various disciplines including public health, infectious diseases, biosecurity, hospitality and marine operations, the panelists have identified more than 70 recommendations across five focus areas. The panel was assembled by Royal Caribbean Group and Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd., along with co-chairs Governor Mike Leavitt, and Dr. Scott Gottlieb.

My conclusion about liveaboards in the age of Covid is that it's a major crapshoot. You are really playing the odds no matter what protocols the boat puts in place.

My preference would be for passengers to quarantine BEFORE they get on the boat. You sit in a hotel room for some number of days before setting sail, and get PCR tested before going straight to the dock, donning your N95 mask until you're on the boat.

And since that is impractical--we're not astronauts going to the moon--that is why I have been reluctant to take a liveaboard since the Covid pandemic began. When I finally caught Covid a few months ago my symptoms were flu-like and would have prevented me from diving for several days. I was very glad I was not on a boat because I felt like crap for several days. I don't want my dive vacation ruined by getting Covid, and if I happen to get Covid again and suffer "mild" symptoms as I did, I would like to be able to go home or at least hole up in a comfy hotel room, not a boat cabin. Right now, the odds are too high for my liking to do a liveaboard.

By the time someone shows symptoms on a LOB it is all but certain others on the same LOB will have already contracted whatever is causing them and a quarantine will do nothing to prevent it from spreading. All but impossible to avoid. I recall one LOB I did where a cold made the rounds of almost everyone. I avoided it only because I had meals outside rather than in the claustrophobic dining room. Not avoiding the illness, just avoiding sea sickness which had the side effect of preventing me from catching the community cold.

It does make sense to have the sick person be isolated and social distanced for a couple of days in hopes of reducing spread. Full on quarantine not going to fix anything.

There is as well the question of whether you should let someone who had mild to low symptoms dive if he tests positive, I guess?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom