Liveaboard cost

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been doing liveaboards and land-based travel for over 30 years, and have had this discussion over the years more than a few times. Steve summed it up nicely...

In a nutshell, if you want the maximum time underwater in a week, then a liveaboard is really the only way to go. They really are "eat, sleep, dive". The accommodations are generally cramped, often musty and you had best hope that you get along with the other guests. BUT, the quality of the dives is probably going to be higher.

We tend to do both.. Mrs. Stoo and I just returned from Turneffe Cay (About the closest thing I have found to a liveaboard on land!) but we are returning to the T+C Explorer in July. These two types of vacation are different... but one isn't "better" than another...

Another way to look at it might be to figure the cost "per dive". I suspect you will find the cost per dive to be much less if you are doing a fair comparison. (Our Turneffe trip was close to $8K with air, nitrox, drinks (not included), taxes and gratuities. Fifteen dives cost $266 each) Our Explorer Trip will be (I think) about $6800 (in part because e got a great seat-sale air price) but we will probably do upwards of 25 dives... so $136 each. Last August, I did 27 dives on this trip and I was starting to feel a little waterlogged...

Both of these operations offer us 5% repeat client discount. Turneffe is certainly pricier than many trips, and the Explorer is towards the "value" end of liveaboards, but very nice (We "upgrade" to a VIP cabin.) so perhaps not an entirely fair comparison.

I guess at the end of the day, if you really want to "dive until your ears bleed", a liveaboard is probably the way to go. If you want a few other creature comforts, possibly some other diversions, then perhaps they aren't... Having said that, Mrs. Stoo really likes those "creature" comforts... Our Explorer trip last summer was her first, and she loved it... and "made" me rebook for this year!

In a nutshell, if you want the maximum time underwater in a week, then a liveaboard is really the only way to go. They really are "eat, sleep, dive". The accommodations are generally cramped, often musty and you had best hope that you get along with the other guests. BUT, the quality of the dives is probably going to be higher.
I guess at the end of the day, if you really want to dive your face off a liveaboard is probably the way to go. If you want a few other creature comforts, possibly some other diversions, then perhaps they aren't... Having said that, Mrs. Stoo really likes those "creature" comforts/ Our Explorer trip last summer was her first, and she loved it... and "made" me rebook for this year!

My wife use to be the creature comfort, with stays in fancy AI resorts and easy access to dive shops/boats over anything else. She always mentioned liveaboards (I guess it is even easier access to your gear, and she never liked the carrying your gear back and forth from the boat, etc). But after our first trip to Saba on the Explorer with its closet sized rooms, and almost non-existent leisure space, she now am able to stay in much lower tiered place (only if she has to). She now always says "If she can live on the liveaboard, she can stay anywhere".

But after our first trip to Saba on the Explorer with its closet sized rooms, and almost non-existent leisure space, she now am able to stay in much lower tiered place (only if she has to). She now always says "If she can live on the liveaboard, she can stay anywhere".
LOL... An added bonus! I suspect it might have to do with loving diving more as well. As Mrs. Stoo has racked up the dives, she has become almost as hooked as I have. She would happily stay in a more basic place with great diving, over a super nice resort with a cattle-boat operation working a ruined reef.

It's interesting you mention the physical aspect of the two. When we were at Turneffe last week, the dives are all "out and backs"... a 10 minute bot ride, a 60+ minute dive, 10 minutes back in. Then repeat in an hour. Our room was literally 25 steps from the boat, but we're both exhausted!

On the Explorer, it just seemed really "easy". I guess those 20 steps add up... :wink:

I just returned from a week on the Utila aggressor. In terms of number of dives they are the best way to go, also sometimes they will offer better diving as compared to a live aboard. When we returned to Utila we talked to a few divers who had dove at the land based resort, a few were not happy with the dives on Utila as the wind picked up all week. We were able to travel over to Roatan for 3 days of diving that was not affected due to wind.

Now as for cost, the boat was around 2600, now add in crew tip, charter flight to Utila, unlimited nitrox, port fees it went up to about 3400, now that does not include the cost of flights to get to Honduras, food in airports, etc. etc. however I will say that the extra cost is definitely worth it to me.

And that new boat is a beauty... I was in Utila the week it arrived and I had a personal tour with Troy Bodden, the owner. (He also owns Laguna Beach and a shop in town).

Add 50$ per person for food per day

Where are you diving/eating that $50/pp covers you for food for the day?

I've done both land-based and live aboard diving and enjoy them both. But I don't know what it is-- there's just something magical about being on a boat for a week at a time without your feet ever touching the earth that makes me really love live aboards!

Reactions: RJP
A good option for you in the Bahamas depending on what kind of luxury you are looking for vs. pricing, would be Lost Island Voyages. The price is $1290 per person. The Avalon is a 65 foot ketch rigged sailboat that takes out 12 passengers in 6 two-person private cabins each with their own sink and mirror. The boat has two push button heads, two showers with plenty of hot water for showers. The company is a family owned and operated so the owner is the captain and he is very accommodating towards customizing each trip around whoever he has on board. The crew is fun-spirited and always ready to have a good time with you.

The trip goes out of Nassau and dives the pristine sites in the Exumas and Elleuthera and sometimes down to Staniel Cay on a 7 day (Or check out their 10 day trips which sometimes make it to Conception Island and San Salvador--AMAZING). Really great trip and the price includes all diving, PLENTY of food, boose, and your stay.

Bahamas Scuba Diving | Liveaboard Diving | aboard Lost Island Voyages
and the office number is 305-756-7762

---------- Post added May 8th, 2012 at 06:20 PM ----------

For Bahamas diving you should check out Lost Island Voyages. The Avalon is a 65 foot ketch rigged sailboat that takes out 12 passengers in 6 two-person private cabins each with their own sink and mirror. The boat has two push button heads, two showers with plenty of hot water for all passengers. The company is a family owned and operated so the owner is the captain and he is very accommodating towards customizing each trip around whoever he has on board. The crew is fun-spirited and always ready to have a good time with you.

The trip goes out of Nassau and mostly dives the Exumas and Elleuthera and sometimes down to Staniel Cay on a 7 day (Or check out their 10 day trips which sometimes make it to Conception Island and San Salvador--OUTSTANDING). Really great trip and the price includes all diving, PLENTY of food, boose, and your stay.

Bahamas Scuba Diving | Liveaboard Diving | aboard Lost Island Voyages
and the office number is 305-756-7762

I saw on the Lost Island website that they have a women's only trip out of Nassau....I wonder how pi$$ed Dear Hubby would be if I left him at home and went on one of them? Sounds like it would be fun!

We had a great time on 55 foot sailboat we chartered with 3 crew in Fiji. I could see how sailing could be a very nice life. It really can be a luxury experience. just remember the smaller the boat means it could be more susceptible to bobbing. Be prepared.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom