Liveaboard cost

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IOW, what's the advantage?
A lot of it is logistics. It's not for everyone, just those of us who go on dive vacations to dive not vacation.

Most of the year on the Aggressor you dive Grand Cayman, Little Cayman and Cayman Brac in one week (sometimes weather precludes the last stop). That would take at least 10+ days allowing for no-fly days in between. Plus who wants to pack/unpack their luggage 3X. And pay for 3x the flights as afaik you have to connect back to GC to fly home.

It gets even better when you venture further out. We did a trip to CaySal Banks some years ago on the now defunct Nekton. Dove Bimini, the Bahamas Bank, Cay Sal Banks and several blue holes - except for Bimini none of them have an inhabitable island where you could base yourself. The only way to get to CaySal is via liveaboard.

The Utila Aggressor dives Utila, Roatan and an offshore sea mount in one week. Again to do that non-lob would require a travel day in between. Plus IDK if anybody goes out to the seamount. In addition they usually circle Utila diving all 4 sides. All of the day boats are based on the south side so I don't think any Utila based ops dive the north side much after noon. With 2 or 3 exceptions neither island has good shore diving options either.

We did Turks/Caicos Explorer last year. The best diving is a tiny uninhabited cay called French Cay. Dayboats from Provo do go out there - it's 45mins. 1 way, do two dives and then return. We did 5 dives there each day. We also dove West Caicos and NW Provo. West Caicos is uninhabited also so would be done from Provo most likely. On our travel day we did both in 1 24hr. period. Some itineraries the boat also goes to Grand Turk. So 3-4 islands per trip staying on the same ship the entire time.

Explorer also does a St. Kitts, Saba, St. Maarten run. Try doing that w/o multiple connecting flights and several days travel. Even Explorer can't get back so they turn the boat at the end of the week - you fly into St. Kitts and out of St. Maarten or vice-versa.

Did I mention the easy 5 dives per day that are possible? 2 before lunch, 2 after and one at night. All about 40' from my room. I typically do 25-27 dives on a week long trip - would be more but most boats have a travel day/afternoon on either end. Maybe it's because we're all really hungry but I've had some great meals on liveaboards also - the quality of the food is frequently mentioned in trip reports.

Except for Turks/Caicos I've dove most of the locations mentioned above from land. At every single one doing 4 dives/day was almost impossible. Either the operators didn't schedule it or the logistics of getting to/from the divesites made it impractical or impossible.

I'll agree that the one liveaboard I can't figure out is the Kona Aggressor - most of the sites they dive are accessible from either shore or dayboat. In fact they jokingly call it the cellphone liveaboard as you're almost never out of range. But diving the length of the Kona coast from shore would require longer travel times thus cutting down on the dives/day - most of the diveboats are based in a marina north of Kailua/Kona. Most return mid-afternoon to prep for the night Manta dives also.

The advantage would be you get 20 boat dives for that price instead of 3, plus all of the food would be included. To each their own, but that would be the diff.

Steve explained it better than I.

I can give another good reason I now like liveaboards more than land based trips. I typically live on "the land" for close to 365 days a year. So I just like something different now and then. I'll never own a boat that offers a bedroom with a bathroom etc etc. So when I have the opportunity to live on something like that for a week or so and get to go diving several times a day to boot, then I jump at the chance!

FWIW, it cost me 2100$ USD for 8 nights / 9 days for a condo in Grand Cayman, car included.
Add 300$ for insurance (my Canadian insurance co or credit card co does not cover me there)
Add 290$ for 3 boat dives
Add 12$ for tank rentals in the North part / turtle reef area
Add 50$ per person for food per day

Being able to relax in a land-locked bed every night - priceless !

A better comparison would be staying at a land-based AI diver resort like at Ocean Frontiers, that have a beach and great diving, compared to Sunset House with no beach.
Or some other similar AI dive resort in the Carribean.

IOW, what's the advantage? I see one with a live-aboard in Taiwan, or Galapagos, where it would just too much time boating from dock to dive point every time, with the dive sites in mostly remote locations.

But the Carribeans? Just go where the wind is at your back, walk in and dive. Like around Little Cayman, that I'm sure I would have liked better than Grand Cayman - for the diving.

I was hoping someone could explain the advantages of a land-based trip ? Unless you're prone to sea-sickness or want to dive a location not serviced by liveaboards (i.e. Cozumel) I can't imagine why anyone would want a land-based trip!

That sea sickness issue (which ScubaFanatic brought up) is no small thing. My wife is sort of a casual 'one dive a day, maybe' sort, and my favorite dive buddy is a fairly avid diver, and both of them are prone to sea sickness. Bonine wasn't effective enough; we used Scopolamine patches last time (on a Bonaire trip, all shore dives, and you know the Caribbean sea off the west coast of Bonaire is pretty calm) and that helped a lot (though my buddy noted some visual changes, and they didn't stick to my wife as well).

Mark, your profile indicates you've been to Cozumel, so I assume you've done (and can handle) charter boat dives, but if by chance you're taking anybody with you, make sure they aren't prone to sea sickness, or that measures are in place.

Sea sickness and stuck on a boat for a week. Whew...

Richard.

Best we could find in Cozumel was the regular Dramamine, which helped. We both got sick on our cert dives, where we had to do 4 dives for the referral for PADI-OW.

Meds based on Meclizine helped a lot. Also the pure ginger root (yellow pills) I had good success with, but not Sylvie, she needs the heavier stuff.

We tried finding Bonine in Grand Cayman, none to be found, anywhere! All three Fosters, a pharmacy and various Texaco's and stalls in downtown Georgetown. Seems like the cruise people buy it all up.

That sea sickness issue (which ScubaFanatic brought up) is no small thing. My wife is sort of a casual 'one dive a day, maybe' sort, and my favorite dive buddy is a fairly avid diver, and both of them are prone to sea sickness. Bonine wasn't effective enough; we used Scopolamine patches last time (on a Bonaire trip, all shore dives, and you know the Caribbean sea off the west coast of Bonaire is pretty calm) and that helped a lot (though my buddy noted some visual changes, and they didn't stick to my wife as well).

Mark, your profile indicates you've been to Cozumel, so I assume you've done (and can handle) charter boat dives, but if by chance you're taking anybody with you, make sure they aren't prone to sea sickness, or that measures are in place.

Sea sickness and stuck on a boat for a week. Whew...

Richard.

I was hoping someone could explain the advantages of a land-based trip ? Unless you're prone to sea-sickness or want to dive a location not serviced by liveaboards (i.e. Cozumel) I can't imagine why anyone would want a land-based trip!

Short trip boat dives and unlimited shore dives, while enjoying the beach. Especially good for / if you SO doesn't care to dive as much as yourself.

One advantage with liveaboard is that your gears are set up on only once for the whole week. When you are ready to dive, you just slip into your BC and when you are done, you slip out of it. You never need to bother to take your gear off the tank, rinse it along with your wetsuit, lock it up or hang it to dry. There is only 1 rinsing at the end, and that frequently is done by the crew. All the air fills are done with the gears on your tank. When you are doing 28 dives, you skipped out on all the gearup/cleanup 15x.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom