Liveaboard Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

richhagelin

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm looking to do my first live-aboard trip. I have been going to Cozumel for a week twice a year for the last few years.

My son and I are both experienced divers and prefer warm water over cold water. We will be traveling from Seattle area.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Rich Hagelin

I'm looking to do my first live-aboard trip. I have been going to Cozumel for a week twice a year for the last few years.

My son and I are both experienced divers and prefer warm water over cold water. We will be traveling from Seattle area.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Rich Hagelin

There are lots of options, but if you don't want to travel to the Carribean, and depending on your definition of "warm water", look at the Kona Aggressor in Hawaii. or you could do big animals at the Socorro Islands out of Baja Calif (Cabo). Also Fiji isn't that far either and it's a direct flight from LA or SF on Air Pacific. Look at the Nai'a in Fiji first, then the Aggressor. The Nai'a is definitely the superior trip. Belize may be a possibility on either the Aggressor or Peter Hughes.

More info on what type of diving you looking for would help. Are you AOW/Nitrox?? How old is your son?

I also live in the Seattle area. What you have to realize, you probably do, is that it takes just as long to get to Grand Cayman from Seattle as it would to go to Fiji. I usually do two live aboard trips a year, the cost on the higher end boats themselves are more or less the same. Airfare is the kicker. As previously mentioned, Socorro is awesome. Big animals, can get rough, I didn't consider it cold but it was not warm by any means. Love Belize and the Belize Aggressor, Cayman Aggressor is a great boat also. I also do not book these boats between July and September ( Hurricane Season) Went on the Cayman Aggressor during IKE, diving was not that great during that time. As far as Fiji goes, check out the Nai'a another great boat. I believe Pacific Air gets you there and back from LA for around $900. Nitrox cert is a must. Most of these boats allow 5 dives a day, go with divemaster or venture out with your buddy, your call. Service and dining on every boat I have been on has been good to outstanding.

Hello!

My 14yr old son (PADI jr open water) and I (PADI advanced open water) are considering going on our first Live aboard for his winter Break this January 17-24, 2010.

I wanted to know if anyone here knew of any trips leaving from the Ft. Lauderdale-Miami area? Unfortunately, since we cannot afford the longer trips we are looking for a 4-6 day trip. Besides the cost, we especially need to make sure that there are enough shallow dives that we can do, keeping us within his 60' depth limit. We're also interested in what courses we might take while on board. Can you please tell me what you know of, and at what price? We can also get an affordable airfare into Montego bay...

Thank you!
Bert

I have only done liveboards in the Caymans and Belize.

I have also done a week long - land based dive trip to Kona.

Based on your location I would suggest you look at the Kona Aggressor first and the boat in Figi second. If you have not dove Kona it's worth a trip!

Going to Galapagos next summer, over the 4th of July, aboard the new Humboldt Explorer. This is during Whaleshark season. We have space available and would enjoy having others join us.
Please see advertised post on this by hbscuba. She is a full service travel operator and does a great job. I have personally been on more than 10 trips that she has arranged, and never been disappointed.

If you plan to go during January, the Kona trip should be good. You will have a good chance of spotting Whales then as they pass the islands heading north. They also do a Manta night dive which is an incredible experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom