LIVE from Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It seems that most Hondurans are supporting the recent coup and the defense of their constitution. At least that is the feeling I capture here in Miami.

I wish everyone would quit calling this a coup. Because the military was involved it is considered a coup. Zelyas broke the law and per the constitution of Honduras he was removed EXACTLY as the law dictates. Voted on by the congress and ratified by the court system. Legal and justified. Honduras has the exact same government as before just a different president.

The AP reports that the curfew has been extended to sunset-to-sunrise (6pm-6am?).

Does the curfew mean you have to be on your resort by that time or do you have to be in your room?

Does the curfew mean you have to be on your resort by that time or do you have to be in your room?

While it's probably best that someone with more on the ground knowledge comments on this, my guess would be that the curfew, or estado de sitio (state of siege), is meant to prevent gatherings on public streets. Resorts' grounds, as private property, should not be affected by the curfew.

Some people on this board have also reported last week, that the curfew had not really been enforced in the Bay Islands as it is mostly directed to prevent political gatherings of those who oppose the coup.

Regardless, people should be aware that during curfew hours the government does not guarantee people's safety on the streets.

Regardless, people should be aware that during curfew hours the government does not guarantee people's safety on the streets.

Which means that when there is no curfew that the government guarantees your safety?

Some people on this board have also reported last week, that the curfew had not really been enforced in the Bay Islands as it is mostly directed to prevent political gatherings of those who oppose the coup.

It could also mean they don't want political gatherings of those that support the legal and justified removal of the corrupt president.

Last night around sunset the police drove down the street in west end announcing the sunset curfew. The previous nights it had been barely enforced around 10. Businesses shut immediately and the roads were deserted soon after. It's unfortunate, we feel a world away from the events in the capital but understand the need for civil order.

All the dive boats went out on time this morning. Roatan is the same only quieter than usual, but some people are starting to worry about the effects that the events on the mainland will have on us here. Time will tell.

We are still having a ball here at Fantasy Island Beach Resort. We are on a 21 acre private island with one bridge leading to it. There is a guard at the entrance.

While the curfew is in place to keep traffic off the roads, they will allow employees through if they have proof of employment (uniform, etc), so the night dives are going out as scheduled.

We are finding plenty of fun things to do here...as long as the planes are flying I see no problems, and as of now the airport seems just fine. :popcorn:

Horrible. just horrible.

Thanks for the updates Diva! And keep 'em coming! I'm headed down in less than a month and living vicariously through you right now! :popcorn:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom