Live aboards what to expect?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am going on my first liveaboard and wondering what to expect? Also for those have have done the liveaboard is there anything you would take but forgot?

Thanks in advance.

Bring some new release DVDs for the crew (and yourself) to watch. Splurge and go to Best Buy/Target the Tuesday before you leave to get the newest releases. Believe me, the crew will love you for it!

Bring some new release DVDs for the crew (and yourself) to watch. Splurge and go to Best Buy/Target the Tuesday before you leave to get the newest releases. Believe me, the crew will love you for it!

I'll second that. I have worked on boats and let me tell you, the small same-old-same-old movie selection gets old quick. The Kona Aggressor crew saw that I brought some DVDs to donate (Valkerie w/ Tom Cruise, Miracle w/ Kurt Russell, and Fools Gold w/ Matthew Mchonohey) and they were over joyed. They were three of my favorites and I didn't intend to leave them on the boat, but I had such an awesome trip and the crew was so above and beyond what I'd expected (which seemed impossible) that I just had to leave them with something to remember me by. I got them a thank you card too - they definitely appreciate when passengers do those kind of things.

48 passengers? That's not a liveaboard, it's a livestock barge.

Lots of great advice here. The advice I would like to echo is to bring some spare parts (batteries, O-rings and the like), I would suggest 3 bathing suits and no more than 1/2 the clothes you think you'll need.

Also be sure to bring your sense of humor and patience. Not everything can always go as planned so try to relax and have fun.

Then put back 1/2 of those clothes and you'll have what you actually need.

And then, when you get home, have a good laugh about the fact that you still didn't wear half of what you brought with you.

:cool2:

RJP great posts. I agree on all points...Boats are boats, tip well and don't bring too many clothes cause you wont wear them! At least in the tropics. I really like being less than 20 feet from a cold beer at all times!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, you've got some really excellent responses.

I'm going to assume you'll take a camera. Don't forget your charger and spare memory cards. If space will allow, take a very small laptop to make sure you get the pictures. I would suggest taking a least one card for each day of diving. If you have a camera, don't forget silica gel to put inside the housing.

But as for liveaboards, you'll be spoiled for life. You've heard the eat/sleep/dive adage. It's true. It's awesome. You are on the sea. You can smell it for a week, and it's awesome. The rocking of the boat is like a cradle, lulling you to sleep.

Make friends with the guests and crew.

Above all, listen to the dive briefings very, very carefully. The guides know what is where, all of the pitfalls, etc. Pay attention to all of the safety stuff.

Above all, have a blast!!

Here's a question from a liveaboard newbie. My wife and I are doing a 1 month tour around Asia/Australia. We are stopping in Bali before we get to Cairns to do Taka (more than likely). I'm concerned with hauling our gear for Bali/Cairns around the rest of Asia and Australia.

At a minimum I want to be sure that we bring our own regs/computers/masks and probably BC's. The Taka crew said that fins and wetsuits are included in their prices, so that is good considering how bulky those items are.

The problem is more than likely going to be that Cairns is towards the end of our trip and we will have some souvineirs from other countries as well as other clothes with us. We are going to try to figure out how to ship a package back home with some things, but I'm concerned about having to bring a lot more than what is needed for our 4 day Cod Hole trip. Are there SAFE places to store some of our stuff in Cairns to avoid taking everything on the boat with us? Maybe this is question for Taka...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom