Live aboards what to expect?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

liver10

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am going on my first liveaboard and wondering what to expect? Also for those have have done the liveaboard is there anything you would take but forgot?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Which liveaboard are you doing? My wife and I are taking our first liveaboard this year, Cayman Agressor, so I hope you dont mind if I watch your thread to glean advice as well...

SS

Where are you going?

Wish we would have brought the laptop to look at our photos.

Something that surprised us is how tired we were at the end of they. 4-5 dives a day is a lot!

Hi. Liveaboards range from the spartan (such as Blackbeards) to luxury so your expectations may vary, depending on what is provided on board. Privacy on the boat can vary depending on how full it is. Even with the large liveaboards, space tends to be a premium, so you don't want to pack lots of clothing - just a set for sleeping in, and maybe 2 sets of clothes (for, say, 4-5 days' stay) in between dives if the boat is air-conditioned.
I'm not sure if this helps, but here are some items I came up with for packing for a liveaboard, some of which I wished I had brought (I hope I didn't miss anything):
- sunscreen (lots), skin moisturizer (if needed)
- 1 or 2 good books to read
- Q-tips
- extra towel (liveaboards tend to provide one, but you may need more than that for drying dive or photographic gear)
- 2 pairs of swim suits (unless you don't mind wearing one that is constantly wet and likely cold)
- safety sausage and air horn
- try to pack essential gear (reg, mask, computers, camera) in your carry on as it can take a while to have delayed luggage delivered to your boat
- battery charger (for camera, lights etc), extra memory card
- universal cable (USB on one end) to download images to the boat's computer or your laptop
- if there is something you cannot live without, a specific brand of tea or coffee, or candy, bring it.
- spare parts/repair kit (O-rings, lubes, spare batteries for dive computer etc)
- sandals (for walking around the boat, unless you like barefoot)
- medication (including motion sickness pills)
- cash for tipping the crew
Most importantly - be social, get to know your fellow divers, have an open mind and enjoy your trip!

Last edited:
Everything that Eval said. Be flexible. Sometimes the signature dives just can't be done. Example, when we went on our trip on the Cayman Aggressor, Hurricane Ike decided to visit the same week so Little Cayman was out of the question. Remember the Captain and crew can not control the ocean or weather. Captain Jon did all he could to make the week enjoyable, we were disappointed but we had a good time. You will be doing a lot of dives per day, stay hydrated and dive Nitrox. Bring a backup computer. Try to go down the day before, lees stress and if anything goes wrong with flights you have an extra day to get there. Get trip insurance, Dan or Dive Assure. If anything were to happen, God forbid, chamber rides are expensive. Did I mention stay hydrated and dive Nitrox. Remember this is not the military, it is your vacation, you do not need to make all the dives offered unless you want too.

I am going on to the Great Barrier Reef leaving from Cairns and going with Deep Sea Divers Den's Ocean Quest liveaboard. I am going in 2nd week in September.

I am going on to the Great Barrier Reef leaving from Cairns and going with Deep Sea Divers Den's Ocean Quest liveaboard. I am going in 2nd week in September.

I have nothing of real use, but to say I am sooooooooooooo JEALOUS!!!!!!!! That is an awesome trip to be taking!!!! Wish you the best!!!!

I wear socks on a liveaboard - everywhere. Lots of places you can get cuts and scrapes with barefeet.

Most people will be like-minded - by that I mean they are there to dive, dive, eat, talk about diving and then dive some more. Some sleep thrown in for good measure.

Take a moment to enjoy the scenery - it will be beautiful - enjoy the moment topside as well as below!

good items listed above... but here is some stuff I always take

plastic dish bin
- for putting under my seat on the dive deck. put mask, gloves, lights, mask defog, etc in it.
Large alligator clips - for holding towels down for drying. don't even bother with cloths pins
ear plugs - for sleeping. boats are noisey, people snore, walls are thin.
flashlight for bunk - most cabins are below decks with no natural light and no emergency lighting system. be prepared.
SMB, spool/reel - I know it was mentioned above, but I wanted to add "learn how to use it before you get there"
Duct Tape - duct tape "fixes everything". great for blistered feet if needed.
insulated cup - great for keeping the "cold drinks cold" and the "hot drinks hot"
blank CD's and/or USB drive - for getting/copying pics taken by others.
zip lock bags - gallon size. in case you gear bag gets stored on the top deck or bow. keeps stuff in your bag dry if you need it, or any other use.
extra batteries for EVERYTHING - lights, computers, backup lights, camera, strobes, etc.
small power strip or 3 plug adapter - been on several boats that there weren't enough plugs for everyone to plug their cameras chargers, battery chargers, etc in at the "charging station". most chargers have those "wall bricks" and hard to plug in multiple ones of them. Having a multi-port plug strip is nice. (you'd think that the boats would bust out a few bucks for something like this...buy some don't).
power voltage adapter - since you're going overseas. you might have to deal with 220v 50hz.
soft side luggage - because boats can't store hard side luggage well in those tiny cabins.
sweatshirt, etc - I bring this up because it'll be hot during the day and the AC will keep up, but at night when it cools off, the A/C will "catch up" and it'll be often very chilly in the cabins in the morning after the AC has been running all night to "catch up". Also there will be a breeze at night when above decks also.

a few other tips.

Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate - DCS can be caused by being dehydrated.

use two diver computers if you can. borrow one from a friend perhaps. Using two allows you to keep diving if one malfunctions, goes dead, etc. Would suck to spend $2500 on a dive trip only to have to stop diving because of a dive computer leaked and blew.

Last edited:
I am going on my first liveaboard and wondering what to expect?

This comes up often, and I posted the info below on a recent thread specific to the two most common liveaboard questions:
  • "What should I bring on a liveaboard?"
  • "What's the deal with tipping on a liveaboard?"

The most important thing to bring is a sense of humor and a generally good, positive attitude. If you're not familiar with boats - much less living on one - here's a few FACTS about boats:

• everything on a boat breaks
  • everything on a boat leaks
  • everything on a boat gets wet
  • nothing on a boat every really dries
  • everything on a boat smells like a boat; where things break, get wet, and never really dry
  • anything that doesn't smell like a boat smells like people who live on a boat
  • everything mechanical on a boat is very loud (until it breaks; then it becomes very quiet)
  • everything non-mechanical on a boat creaks and/or rattles (until it breaks in; then it gets very quiet; that's usually the day before it breaks)
  • everything on a boat is small
  • if something is not small, it's not on the boat
  • if something is not available on the island/mainland, it's not on the boat
  • if something is not on the boat, it's not on the boat
  • if you need something specific but didn't bring it, it's not on the boat
  • even things that are usually on the boat are often not on the boat
  • most things that happen on a boat happen simply "because it's a boat"
A thousand major/minor/uncomfortable/disgusting/annoying/inconvenient things can go wrong on a boat over the course of a year. Statistically, that means that 20 of them will happen the week you're on board. You won't notice 15 of them. Will any of the the other 5 things ruin your trip? Honestly - other than a condition which presents a clear and imminent safety or health issue - whether or not something ruins your trip is entirely up to you. I choose to focus on the things like diving that make my trip enjoyable; folks who choose to focus on things that will ruin their trip can always find something that will.

But, as an optimist, keep in mind that you also get to take the good with the bad...
  • everything GOOD that happens on a live-aboard happens "because it's a boat"
  • you're never more than an hour or so from the next dive, the next meal, the next nap, or your first drink - because it's a boat
  • you set your gear up once and don't worry about it again - because it's a boat
  • you're right over the dive site - because it's a boat
  • two hours later you're right over the next dive site - because it's a boat
  • it's a twenty foot walk from your last bite of desert after dinner to your night dive - because it's a boat
  • it's a ten foot walk from your night dive to a hot shower - because it's a boat
  • it's a twenty foot walk from the hot shower to a cold beer - because it's a boat
  • it's a twenty foot walk from the cold beer to your bed - because it's a boat
  • when you wake up the next morning to the smell of coffee and waffles...you're right over the next great dive site - because it's a boat
GoodViz2.jpg

Tipping? I can only provide my American perspective. But first, if you're reading this and you a.) are not American, b.) disagree in principle with the societal convention of tipping in certain cultures, or c.) are otherwise too cheap to tip --- don't bother reading on if you're simply going to dog-pile this thread with general "I don't believe in tipping...crew should be paid...not my fault...I don't need their help...I already paid enough for the trip...no one tips me when I do my job" type of responses. There's plenty of threads elsewhere for that.

To put liveaboard tipping in context break it down this way: Imagine the same dive trip but not living aboard. You're dining out three meals a day for 6 days, having a drink or two at a bar every day for 6 days, you're doing do a 2-tank morning charter, a 2-tank afternoon charter, and a night dive charter every day for 6 days. With even conservative tipping on boat dives and budget-minded meals, you'd be looking at handing out more than $300 in gratuities over the course of the week. Well, the crew on the liveaboard are "the servers" for all the things listed above. Some have proposed a figure of "10% of trip cost" which is a good start.

Now further consider that the crew also works 16hrs a day doing everything else that needs to get done on a boat. Including tidying your cabin daily, making your bed daily, cleaning your toilet daily, etc. Good crews on good boats - luckily have never experienced a bad one - will wait on you hand and foot above water and below while you're awake. When you fall asleep they're working a few more hours to make sure tomorrow is even better. Then, when they go to bed, it's four of them in a cabin smaller than yours, under/behind/adjacent to the engine room and generators, that they live in for several months at a stretch, with effectively everything they own during that time. (Seriously, it would be illegal to house convicted felons in the same fashion. They deserve a good tip merely for mustering a smile once during any given day.) From what I understand, on the typical liveaboard the base salary they receive for that week's work is on the order of US$100-$150 a week.

For a week-long trip I budget for $300+ pretty much regardless of the cost of the charter. The + usually takes the form of a couple of extra $20's slipped into the hands of a few individuals who's efforts made my trip particularly enjoyable. I also tend to leave the boat shy a backup light or two, maybe a guide with a rusted out illegible SPG finds my backup in his bin after I've headed to the airport, and there's one fabulous guide who has an Atomic Frameless mask now instead of the genuine piece-of-**** he was diving with when I got on board.

Ultimately, the advice of "tips are at your discretion, whatever you feel is appropriate is the right amount" is the right advice. I simply tend to believe that you should give some real consideration to "what's appropriate" before deciding on the amount. I tip a lot. I've never over-tipped.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom