Live aboard in Sept in Belize?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SandyUT

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Its hard to find solid weather intel for September. Especially for a live aboard. Pleaes share any input for the Turneffe area weather in Sept.

Thanks!

I have done Sundancer 2 in September. The weather was awesome. It is the rainy season, but we had no rain at all. I think it mostly rains on the mainland. It was hot calm and clear. It is hurricane season especially later in September, so get great trip insurance. There are very rarely hurricanes in Belize, but they do happen at that time of the year. Sundancer 2 and Belize Aggressor will be anchored in the Atoll known as Lighthouse Reef within sight of each other every night. It is quarry calm inside the Atoll. All of the diving seems to be on the lee side or inside of the Atoll, so it is very calm on the surface. There are sites on both the lee and windward side of Turneffe. Turneffe is mostly in the lee of Lighthouse Reef, so it is not usually rough. The crossing can be rough, but the boat will stay out there for the week. Sundancer 2 is a MUCH bigger boat and probably handles the crossing better. It was calm when we crossed.

I've been diving tht area for years, but never in September. From what I've heard, it's generally ok. Heavy rain in that area will cause some silting, and the wrong wind can limit your ability to dive some of the better areas around Halmoon Caye... but that's a risk anyplace.

You might have a look at Huracan Diving out on Long Caye as an alternative. There isn't as much diving as a liveaboard, but a real bed and great fun... and a bit less expensive.

Liveaboard in Belize in September? I don't always purchase trip insurance, but for that, I would.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom